Symptoms of Quitting Dip and Chew

Symptoms When Quitting NicotineQuitting dipping is not an easy thing… if you’re like most of us, when you quit you’ll go through some withdrawal symptoms… These are completely normal. That being said… if you are concerned about a particular symptom, by all means go to a doctor and get checked!!! This will help both your peace of mind and may catch something before it gets serious.

Dip Dreams – you’ve been dipping for years sometimes decades. Your brain is used to thinking a certain way with a certain amount of nic in it… once that’s taken away many people have “dip dreams”. These dreams range from mild to incredibly intense. Many times people will wake up after a dip dream and feel terrible because they really think that they caved. Many have reported that they can taste and smell the dip. Never fear… it’s only a dream.

Sores In Your Mouth (lip, tongue, cheek, etc.) – you’re done dipping… why does your mouth hurt so damn bad? You’ve got more sores in your mouth now than when you were dipping. What’s going on?!? There are a couple of explanations for this one. First, if you’re like most of us, you’ve found something to replace your dip to get you past the oral fixation (See Smokeless Alternatives). If you’re chewing seeds then there’s a TON of salt in your mouth that wasn’t there before. Also once you get dip out of your system the PH balance in your mouth is changing. Bottom line is this – get to a dentist and get checked out. But unless something stays around for more than two weeks you should be good to go.

Can’t Sleep – you’ve quit dipping and now you can’t sleep at all. Never fear, this is completely normal experience. It’ll take a while, but your sleep patterns will return to normal.

The Fog – you’re dizzy… you can’t think straight… your head hurts… you find yourself staring at your computer screen for hours on end not reading anything. Welcome to the dip fog. Your brain can’t handle the fact that you’re no longer feeding it dip. It might last just a couple of days and it might last a couple of weeks. Do not fret… once the fog lifts you’re well on your way to being dip free. Check out this article that Chewie has written about The Fog of Quitting Dip

Headaches – you might have one that brings you to your knees, or you might just have that dull thud feeling all day long — this too shall pass.

Sore Throat – If you’re a dipper and you quit you’re scared of anything that’s “off”. Why when you quit dipping do you suddenly get a sore throat? We’re not sure why but it happens more often than you’d think. Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. This will help flush the nicotine and will help with your sore throat.

Anxiety – for years you’ve been dealing with life while medicating yourself with nicotine — it’s gone now and your body isn’t used to dealing with life without it. This condition will pass though you may want to talk to a doctor about some medication to take the edge off.

Problems “Going” – whether you know it or not, nicotine is a laxative. It’s helped keep you “regular” through all of your years of dipping. It takes some people a while to get their body adjusted to going without their natural dip laxative. Drink plenty of water and eventually this one will be “behind you”.

Hot Flashes – This one has been reported as a real doozy. Face, arms, legs, etc. can be very “warm” with some intense sweats. While this is a “symptom” it’s also been quite the trigger for some folks. Drink some water, get to the site and talk.

Depression – Many people have dipped for years or decades. Removing such an integral (though deadly) part of your life can lead to some pretty serious behavioral issues including depression. Talk to the folks on the boards as this is pretty common. As with any health issue please don’t hesitate to see a doctor as well. For more details about depression as a quitter click here.

There are a variety of other symptoms that have been attributed to quitting dip. If you don’t see yours listed, contact us and let us know about it!

5 2 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
1.2K Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Mac
Mac
16 days ago

Just shy of three months off. I’ve been feeling pretty good over the last month or so, and now not feeling well at all, similar to the first couple of weeks off. Have other members experienced anything similar?

Cody
Cody
15 days ago
Reply to  Mac

Yes I have felt the worst from about 30 to 75 days now got bad again from 100ish to I’m at about 140th day. Just hang in there is shall pass but scary and feels awful at times.

Anthony Larson
Anthony Larson
28 days ago

I quit just over three weeks ago. I have a sporadic numbness/tingle on the tip of my tongue. Happens on and off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dallas
Dallas
1 month ago

I’m 46 days in of no tobacco, nicotine, or alcohol. I’ve still got leukoplakia on my left side but have a dentist appointment on the 26th of this month. Anxiety has been bad and I’ve just been thinking the worst of what it could be. Hoping the dentist tells me good new!

Mback
Mback
1 month ago
Reply to  Dallas

I’ve still got the spots on my right side and I quit almost 2 months ago! Dentist didn’t seem too concerned.

HARISH KUMAR
HARISH KUMAR
18 days ago
Reply to  Dallas

Hello
How did ur appointment with dentist go? Is ur health fine?

Anticipation of reply.

Dallas
Dallas
5 days ago
Reply to  HARISH KUMAR

Sorry for the really late reply. The dentist didn’t seem too concerned at all. Just needed to get a cleaning. He said I have Smokeless Tobacco Keratosis which is completely normal for anyone that used to dip. I’m 75 days without and nicotine or tobacco products! Been using a lot of SM wintergreen though

HARISH KUMAR
HARISH KUMAR
1 day ago
Reply to  Dallas

Hi,
I also quit on April last year and doc told me I have tobacco pouch keratosis on my lower lips. It is turning pink slowly. It is our anxiety which fuels out fear.

But don’t return to diping brother.

Lori
Lori
1 month ago

My husband was forced to quit dipping about 3 weeks ago due to a severe allergic reaction. He had dipped or smoked for about 30 years. What could I or should I do to help him? What support could I give him?

Mback
Mback
1 month ago

6 weeks in and really starting to think I’ve become a hypochondriac thinking I’ve got ever sort of cancer 🙁

Larson
Larson
28 days ago
Reply to  Mback

Same here man. I have a numb feeling on the tip of my tongue that comes and goes. Definitely need to stop looking things up.

WhiskeySolo
WhiskeySolo
1 month ago

Hi, I’m 44, have chewed for 20 years. I have chewed grizzly wintergreen pouches for 10 years. In June, I started suffering from panic attacks out of the blue. All the docs have told me my brain chemistry is changing. I tried several meds and they all fucked me up badly mentally. Then I got to thinking, I have a pouch in my mouth sun up to sun down….thats a ton of nicotine and maybe my problem. So I’m 36 hours quit, praying this will cure my panic, but I know it will get worse before it gets better. I’m struggling so hard, how to I get into a group?

Kmgrizz
Kmgrizz
1 month ago
Reply to  WhiskeySolo

Hi WhiskeySolo. Just passed my five year mark. Was chewing about 1.5 cans a day of grizzly wintergreen for a really really long time. When I wasn’t chewing I had nicotine gum in my mouth. Panic attacks and a complete inability to sleep got me in the Dr. office. I still remember him looking at me while saying “do you think your nicotine addiction has anything to do with your anxiety?” His look was kind but I got the point. I did wind up starting lexapro about six months after I quit and all of that is gone now. It gets so much better. Hope to see you in a group. Will check the November 2021 to see if you are there. It works if you want it to.

Last edited 1 month ago by Kmgrizz
1 8 9 10
Flaviar - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Back to top button
1.2K
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x