What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

So you want to quit dipping and you would like to know what to expect when you do. We’re not going to pull any punches around here, it’s tough. That’s why we’re all here. This timeline has been put together over the years with the input of THOUSANDS of quitters. It has been shown to be remarkably accurate from the time you STOP USING NICOTINE.

Days 1 through 3 – Pure hell. You will walk in the fog. Nothing will seem real. Your brain is wondering where the hell its fix is and it is going to punish you until you come up with it. 72 hours, that’s all you need to get the nicotine out of your system. This is where you start to deal with the physical withdrawal associated with quitting dip. Drink lots of water. Read, post, read and post. Don’t take your anger out on your loved ones. We always tell everyone………Make this quit about YOU. If you quit for your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, mommy or daddy, you will resent them during this period. Quit for yourself and come in here to rant. Yell at us. Bitch at us. We can take it. We’ve been there.

Days 4 through 20 – Here comes the mind games. The nicotine is out of your system now. You will still have some physical things to deal with.

• Cravings
  • Irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Fatigue
  • Inability to Concentrate
  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Constipation, gas, stomach pain
  • Dry mouth
  • Sore tongue and/or gums

Yep, you have this to look forward to. Your brain is rewiring itself. It isn’t used to being in an oxygen rich environment. Your body is responding in kind. Everything is a mind game now. All the cravings you have are actually due to triggers. Triggers are events where you are in a situation you would normally dip in. Mowing the grass, playing poker online, playing golf, working on the car………you get the picture. Keep drinking water, use seeds, the fake stuff, whatever you need to keep the dip out of your mouth. Remember, oral fixation is part of our habit, something you will eventually need to break. For now though, use all the tools you have.

Days 20 – 50 – You’re winning. Life isn’t great, but you probably had a couple of nights where you actually got some sleep. You might notice you’re going to bed earlier than you normally do. Not staying up to get in that last dip. You may notice some sores in your mouth. You’re thinking, “great, I quit dipping and now I have cancer.” You almost certainly don’t. Your mouth is healing itself. Tiny ulcers you’ve had for a long time are healing. We recommend you visit your dentist around the 30 day mark. Don’t be a pansy, just do it. He or she will be very supportive and they can explain the sores much better than we can. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t go out drinking with the fellas or the girls. We also recommend that you don’t drink for at least the first 50 days. Drinking is a huge trigger event and it weakens your resolve.

Days 50 – 70 – Cruise control. Life is really good. You still think about it, but this is good stuff here. Some people may suffer anxiety attacks during or a little before this stage. Some doctors say we dipped to relieve anxiety anyway. Some people can push right through this, others need a little help. Talk to your doctor before you quit or immediately after you quit. They will know what to do. Some give Wellbutrin or Lexapro. Lots of people in the support community take or have taken these medicines and can help you with the affects. Don’t wait till you get to this stage of the game to talk to a doctor. You’ll cruise through this stage much easier if you know how to take care of the anxiety or at least know it’s coming.

Days 70 – 90 – Late term craves, the doldrums, the blahs, the blues. Some people end up feeling like they are right back at day 1. The fog, the haze, the craves. It can be a tough time. You need to let people in your group know this is happening. Time to circle the wagons to get through it. It usually only lasts a few days. Fight through this and make sure your order your HOF Knife or Coin. Here are a couple of articles about this time period which we refer to as “The Funk”

Days 90 – HOF – Houston, resume the countdown. Enjoy the hell out of these last 10 days. You will be celebrating with your group as you all enter the HOF. It is a great feeling and an accomplishment you should not take lightly. Do something special for yourself and your family. They put up with your sorry ass for the last 90 days and they deserve something too.

100+ Days – Stay vigilant. Use the tools you have, to continue beating back any cravings or urges. You will still experience dip dreams and longings, but you are fully qualified to beat them down. Continue to post roll with your group. Get into the newer groups and help somebody out. Pass it along. Live the dream.

Related Reading

3.7 3 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
4.3K Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Ex-Dipper Fireman
Ex-Dipper Fireman
10 hours ago

Today is Day 30 of quitting cold turkey. Had my dentist appointment and the only thing is my wisdom teeth need to come out and a good cleaning. Still suffering from headaches, trying to stay hydrated. I am sleeping “ok” but nothing to write home about.

Zachary Lodder
2 days ago

I feel like shit. Just want a dip. Or cigarette. Or cigar.

Logan
Logan
10 days ago

I’m on day 4 without a dip and I gotta say, I didn’t think depression could be a side effect for me. but it definitely is hitting me.

Ex-Dipper Fireman
Ex-Dipper Fireman
11 days ago

Hello everyone,
I wanted to drop in and give an update on my quit. As of today I am (19) days cold turkey. There have been some good days and bad days and of course “off” days. Today is one of those, yesterday felt pretty good, but today it is a headache, mild chest pressure, stomach pain, tingly arms and just feeling off. I try and push through every day with “this too shall pass”. My jaw also hurts, but I am contributing that to having a wisdom tooth and the molar next to it pulled last month and it is still healing. Still working at staying strong and pushing through.

Doug
Doug
12 days ago

Coming up on month 5. 140 range. Things are much better. But I’m still having some rough days. Some days are totally fine. Then some are rough. Is this normal and when should I be past this back and forth thing?

Cody
Cody
12 days ago
Reply to  Doug

Dam im about to hit 90 days soon was also hoping when it would be over guess more to go dammit. Mine has been rough now just sinus are aweful and head tingles. Some times get panic while driving. And for sure cant drink alcohol will be the worst.

Doug
Doug
11 days ago
Reply to  Cody

Cody, I wouldn’t over think it bud. I’m now realizing that the HOF is really just the beginning. It probably takes the better part of a year to recover from nicotine addiction. That doesn’t mean your miserable every day for a year. But there will be some ups and downs as we continue to heal this first year. I used tobacco for almost 25 years. Makes sense that it takes a while to recover. I do know that it will never be easier than it is right now to stay quit. And each day gets easier and easier. Hang in there bud. This too shall pass!

Cody
Cody
10 days ago
Reply to  Doug

Thanks its crazy how intense the withdrawls have been hell may as well do herion lol.

Doug
Doug
10 days ago
Reply to  Cody

It is crazy. But we will recover. I also get a little more stressed (panicked) while driving these days. I think it’s part of cravings because I used to dip a lot while driving. Now I just chew gum or seeds in the car and that helps. But this too shall all pass. It does get easier as the days go on. Take care and hang in there.

DDD
DDD
13 days ago

Congratulations on your 7 Years JP and Hello to everyone else.

Today is 7/17/2021 and ONE THOUSAND days ago I started my quit, just wanted to post that and encourage all those going through the quit to stay the course.
Like JayP said, our group had a saying during those beginning days, this too shall pass, remember that when things get tough.

Jeff j
Jeff j
12 days ago
Reply to  DDD

Good Job Jayp I am again on your heals…Aug 4th for me 7 years? wow That went fast… DDD Shiva hope you are well. wish I was hear more, just busy with life it seems. I did finish my classic car,,,anyone wants pics,,,let me know…

Jeff j
8-4-14

DDD
DDD
11 days ago
Reply to  Jeff j

Hey Jeff, Great to hear from you. Heck yeah, I for one would like pics of the car, you worked forever and a day on it.

JAYP
JAYP
11 days ago
Reply to  Jeff j

Thanks Jeff, yes sir, I knew you were close to me.
Yes! Email some of them pics, I definitely a car dude 👍
JP

Jeffj
Jeffj
9 days ago
Reply to  JAYP

Shiva. How is he doing? By the way my bro stayed his quit today. Let’s hope he kicks the nic bitch ass like we did!

DDD
DDD
8 days ago
Reply to  Jeffj

Hey Jeff, I think Shiva and his family were hit by COVID pretty harshly, but they’re ok now. I have not seen him posting in here in a long time, hopefully he will soon.
And for your bro a big shout out to stay the course, the first days are the worse, hope he makes it.

JAYP
JAYP
11 days ago
Reply to  DDD

Thanks DDD!
1,000 days, wow! Man does time fly by. Im glad you stuck around after all this time, sure nice to see your commitment has stuck.

Thanks for all your encouragement DDD, especially to others here. You’re definitely paying it forward.
JP

JAYP
JAYP
15 days ago

What’s happening KTC? Long time reader, long time poster.
Just wanted to post my win today. Today, marks my 7th year clean of nicotine. Doesn’t seem that long ago, I stumbled upon this site by shear accident and decided, “you know, I’m tired of this shit, these guys did it, I can too”. I took the plunge, beat off wave after wave of cravings that held me as an addicted hostage for almost 30 years.
I met a lot of great people here and I owe many thanks to all of them.
The first one to ever keep me on the task was Chewie. After 3 days I was about to completely lose it and he encouraged me to keep going, thanks for that Brother!
A few others, Jeff, Rick, Steve, DDD and Shiva… A really great group of guys who were going through it with me, thanks Hombres!!! There were several others along the way, but I stayed in close contact with these ones.
And to all you guys reading this with a big fatty tucked deep in that cheek and are thinking about quitting? Do it, just do it. It’s been the most selfish, yet rewarding thing I ever did. Selfish, because I did it for ME and no one else. Rewarding because I was able to break free from something that had my life on lock. I’m telling you, if I can do it, anyone can.
When things are bad in those early quit days, always remember…
This Too…Shall Pass! It always does, I promise.
Keep quit
-JP
07-15-14

Jeffj
Jeffj
9 days ago
Reply to  JAYP

Nice jayp.

don’t forget my motto. Embrace the suck. It is hard and it sucks to quit. Just take it on and get it done!

At 10 years jayp. We go play some home. Hopefully with ddd and shiva

JAYP
JAYP
9 days ago
Reply to  Jeffj

Embrace the Suck… Yes! I remember that being your staple. I used it several times. It totally fits the narrative. It does suck, if it was easy we’d all be able to break the habit. But it’s painful, people are afraid of the temporary pain. Embrace it!
And I agree, we’ve got to get a plan to meet up. The 10 year anniversary (which I will absolutely achieve) sounds about right 👍
-JP
07-15-14

DDD
DDD
8 days ago
Reply to  JAYP

Sounds good to me, when you guys hit 10 years, me and shiva will be at 6 years. one year shy of where you guys are right now. Take care.

Dallas
Dallas
16 days ago

So I quit dipping on the 8th of this month, has anyone one else noticed their pee smell different? I’m not dehydrated but ever since I quit it just has a strong chemical odor to it. Also I tried SM fake dip and it’s been tearing my jaw up like regular wintergreen dip so idk if I should quit that too.

D-mart
D-mart
19 days ago

After 47 years of chew, I’m now at 144 days free and the cravings are finally under control. I’ve come to the realization that I cannot give in to nicotine anymore! If I’m going to stay free I’m going to have stay off the mic-bitch from now on. I cannot go back.

JAYP
JAYP
18 days ago
Reply to  D-mart

Great job D-mart! That “realization” you have will push you ahead with your quit. From here it’s all up to you and nothing or no one else. Great job👍
-JP
07-15-14

Doug
Doug
15 days ago
Reply to  JAYP

Congrats D-Mart! You and I quit around the same time. I quit March 2, 2021, Texas Independence day. I started to despair a little once I reached the HOF because I still had some withdrawal symptoms. Mainly fog, anxiety, and cravings. The cravings were the worst, I think they brought on the fog and anxiety. But the past week I have been feeling much better. I am very thankful for that. I started using the fake stuff (SM Wintergreen) and that has really helped me with cravings, and it hasn’t made me want to buy the “real stuff”.

D-Mart
D-Mart
1 day ago
Reply to  Doug

Hey Doug, how are you doing? I’m just now feeling like I’ve made it. I see you and I had similar quit dates. Are you still free?

Keith T McNamara
Keith T McNamara
23 days ago

Okay, how about chest pressure when you quit? Anyone else? Happens every time I quit, although this will be the last quit for sure. I’m done. High BP, severe reflux despite having surgery done, etc. July 4th was my first day again Independent from chew.

Keith T McNamara
Keith T McNamara
21 days ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thanks Chewie, good to hear. I’m on day 6 and the burn continues. I already had reflux surgery and now back on meds. Hopefully things will settle down. One thing I know, I’m not gonna stick a frigging plug in my mouth cause of it!

Tveduk8r
Tveduk8r
1 month ago

It’s been 120 days since I’ve had
a chew, and each day gets a little easier! I have used tobacco for 47 years. I’ve quit twice before. This time I’ve got people from this site who know what I’m going through to help me through the rough spots. Keep it up if you are trying to give up dipping. It can be done!

1 37 38 39
Flaviar - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Back to top button
4.3K
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x