I recently had the pleasure of trying a new smokeless alternative called NiP The Energy Dip – nipenergydip.com NiP is different from other smokeless alternatives in two main ways. First it is made from sea sponge. Yes, you read that correctly – SEA SPONGE. Secondly, NiP touts an “energy boost” which comes from an infusion of Vitamin B-12 and Caffeine into the product.
The first thing I noticed when I opened the packaging was the smell. A very good wintergreen/mint smell came from the box even before I opened the actual can. For those looking for high flavor this is a very good sign. I opened the plastic can (which is the same size as the traditional dip can but only has .4 oz of product in it due to low weight of sea sponge) and was greeted by something that looked quite a bit like the jerky chew. Again, the smell was amazing and I was shocked by how “moist” the product was. As you can imagine it’s a very easy product to pack as there are no little “bits” as with traditional dips and alternatives. I put my first dip of NiP in and got a “splash” of the flavor. I was a Kodiak Wintergreen guy, so this ICE flavor was right up my alley.
- Outstanding flavor that lasts quite a long time. I left a dip in for about a half hour and if I was losing flavor I just had to move it around or give it a squeeze in my mouth to get a little boost.
- Good “spitability”. The product marketed as having an “energy juice” that’s safe to swallow. All jokes aside, I’ve always been a spitter not a swallower so I can’t really comment. I will say however that this dip produced a good amount of spit which I appreciated. Nothing worse than a dry dip.
- It doesn’t fall apart. As this isn’t a “shredded” product there are no little bits that will float around your mouth, get caught in the back of your throat, etc.
- No need to pack. Just pinch and go. For some this may be a negative (as they want to go through the motion of packing) but for this former addict I’d just as soon skip the packing all together.
- Swallowing. While I mentioned above that you can swallow the energy juice you definitely CANNOT swallow the product itself. After all it is a sponge.
- It’s “rough”. This may be due to the fact that I don’t use many of these products these days and my lip/gums have healed from my days as a dipper. That said, as my NiP dip dried out and I was getting ready to throw it out, I became very aware that I was sucking on a sponge. Again, this was after a half hour or so (which is VERY good from a longevity standpoint).
Nip Energy Dip is a non-traditional but welcome entry into the Smokeless Alternative marketplace. The can has the NiP logo, ingredients, warnings, etc. and .4 oz of the product. You don’t need to “pack” this dip as it’s more of a “pinch and go” product. It’s made in the USA and in my dealings with the company they’ve been nothing but gracious and are very excited not only about this product but some future flavors that they’ve got coming. Once you get over the fact that it’s a natural sea sponge I think you’ll really enjoy the flavor that NiP provides.
Disclaimer: In accordance with FTC Guidelines, we hereby inform this site’s viewers that we occasionally receive products for review purposes. At no time has payment has been made in order to elicit positive reviews. Affiliate links may be present in the above content. Read our disclosure policy for more info.