The medical community distinguishes a smoking slip and relapse. The first one occurs when a smoker returns to a cigarette or two after quitting. The second one means the complete backslide. This article observes the complications which occur during the cigarettes and tobacco products quitting period. Also, it includes solutions for those who want to give up smoking.
Symptoms and reasons for the smoking relapse
People who have been trying to quit smoking face a challenge. When quitting tobacco, a person may experience a chain of unpleasant symptoms. Among them are:
- depressive mood;
- inability to perform coherent thinking.
This list is far incomplete. The symptoms may vary individually and last from a few days to a couple of weeks. The nicotine withdrawal period is about six weeks. If a slip or relapse has not happened, a person rarely returns to tobacco consumption. However, that is an unbearably long period for many smokers.
Triggers and provocative environments often come as a reason for returning to regular inhaling. For instance:
- being in a company of smokers;
- during alcohol consumption;
- experiencing stressful situations;
- angry and frustrating state of mood;
- gaining weight;
- party entertainments;
- having tobacco products in an easily accessible place.
To reduce the temptation to draw down, make a list of your triggers that push you to restart smoking and think out how to resist them.
It is a matter of extra importance to focus on quitting tobacco during the first six weeks, settling it as a primary goal. Praise yourself for persistence to stay at least an hour, a day, or a week without tobacco. Also, communicate with non-smokers more frequently. Another helpful recommendation is changing a regular life routine and engaging yourself instead of smoking with something else, e.g., sports training.
Knowing your weak sides and the cases when triggers attack your mind the most is an efficient step to stay strong and give up smoking forever.
Quitting the consumption of tobacco-containing products
The variety of smokeless tobacco products is multifarious: snuff (dipping), chewing, oral, or spit tobacco. Some people consume tobacco-containing products mistakenly thinking that these are less harmful than cigarettes. Since these all contain nicotine, they perform the addictive features similarly to a cig and involve physical, emotional, and intellectual health. People who quit dipping and smoking should overcome the same symptoms and usual smokers. Oral tobacco consumers have an additional need to feel something in their mouths.
Except for the classic cigarette quitting recommendations, these are the practical advice on how to quit dipping:
- diminish the tobacco consumption cutting the amount of smokeless tobacco gradually (it also helps to indicate the triggering situations when the need for nicotine is urgent);
- replace dipping with sugarless gum, candies, nuts, or sunflower seeds to keep your mouth occupied;
- keep your body busy to sustain the nicotine withdrawal symptoms less painfully;
- struggle with your pocket habit replacing smokeless tobacco with a tobacco-free pouch;
- Get rid of the tobacco products, disposing of other tobacco-free products in the usual places.
Also, the American Cancer Society suggests using the 4Ds rule that includes:
- delay for 10 minutes the need to dip training the moderation;
- deep breath, fulfilling your lungs with oxygen through nose and mouth;
- drinking water in small sips;
- do something else to keep your mind away from dipping.
By and large, smokers, tobacco dippers, and chewers get the same amount of nicotine and jeopardize themselves equally. When chewing tobacco, cancer will probably appear due to 25 chemicals in the products that provoke it. Potentially harmful components increase the risk, although its rate varies depending on the product type. The new ways of tobacco consumption still require in-depth studying and research.
Effortless solution for students to quit smoking
Many students have a social smoking syndrome even though governments of all developed countries work hard on decreasing the number of smoking students. According to the research, many students plan to give up smoking after graduation.
The reason for smoking among students is to lower the level of stress. Excessive studying programs, tedious tasks at numerous disciplines make them want to blow steam. Students may order write my essay online service to avoid stress and cope with much paperwork with the same or close deadlines. Except for the written tasks, it releases the students from anxiety and pressure.
If you want to enjoy your studying process without negative emotions at an affordable price, a cheap essay writing service is an excellent trigger-rejecting method. Using all ways to get rid of the unhealthy habit is a way to blooming life.