Hello, my name is Donna….my son Chance turned 20 only ten days before he passed away on Nov 30, 2011… Six months ago. He still lived at home with me and his stepfather of 18 years and his 15 year old half brother. He had a sister age 23 and a step brother and step sister age 22 and 20. The reason I am posting here, is Chance dipped Grizzly.
I had always fussed at him for this habit. The night of Nov 28, 2011, he fell asleep with Grizzly in his mouth after taking over the counter sleeping meds….along with a Xanax a Dr had given him a prescription for. He aspirated the grizzly into his lungs during the night….toxicology showed the meds was nowhere near fatal…but was enough to make him sleep deeply enough that he didn’t know the spit was running down into his lungs.
When I tried to wake him that morning, I saw the dip run out of his mouth…he was already in what I later learned was Agonal breath….a death breath. He was in a coma…..by the time the ambulance got him to the hospital he flatlined….they got him back….but he got a fever of 108…and all of his organs failed…
What Does Aspirated Mean?
Aspiration is when something you swallow “goes down the wrong way” and enters your airway (trachea or windpipe) or lungs. It can also happen when something goes back into your throat from your stomach. With aspiration, your airway isn’t completely blocked, unlike with choking.
I just wanted to warn people about falling asleep with dip in your mouth….and of course sleeping medicines….even over the counter kind like my son bought at walmart….and Dr prescribed….what killed him was the initial phnemonia from aspirating the dip…and just overnight that’s how quick it can happen. I tried to wake him at 6:30 am….it was too late….I just want people to know, please be careful…don’t fall asleep with dip in your mouth. If I can bring that awareness to just one person…well…Otherwise I don’t know how I can go on.
Below is obit