What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

So you want to quit dipping and you would like to know what to expect when you do. We’re not going to pull any punches around here, it’s tough. That’s why we’re all here. This timeline has been put together over the years with the input of THOUSANDS of quitters. It has been shown to be remarkably accurate from the time you STOP USING NICOTINE.

Days 1 through 3 – Pure hell. You will walk in the fog. Nothing will seem real. Your brain is wondering where the hell its fix is and it is going to punish you until you come up with it. 72 hours, that’s all you need to get the nicotine out of your system. This is where you start to deal with the physical withdrawal associated with quitting dip. Drink lots of water. Read, post, read and post. Don’t take your anger out on your loved ones. We always tell everyone………Make this quit about YOU. If you quit for your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, mommy or daddy, you will resent them during this period. Quit for yourself and come in here to rant. Yell at us. Bitch at us. We can take it. We’ve been there.

Days 4 through 20 – Here comes the mind games. The nicotine is out of your system now. You will still have some physical things to deal with.

• Cravings
  • Irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Fatigue
  • Inability to Concentrate
  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Constipation, gas, stomach pain
  • Dry mouth
  • Sore tongue and/or gums

Yep, you have this to look forward to. Your brain is rewiring itself. It isn’t used to being in an oxygen rich environment. Your body is responding in kind. Everything is a mind game now. All the cravings you have are actually due to triggers. Triggers are events where you are in a situation you would normally dip in. Mowing the grass, playing poker online, playing golf, working on the car………you get the picture. Keep drinking water, use seeds, the fake stuff, whatever you need to keep the dip out of your mouth. Remember, oral fixation is part of our habit, something you will eventually need to break. For now though, use all the tools you have.

Days 20 – 50 – You’re winning. Life isn’t great, but you probably had a couple of nights where you actually got some sleep. You might notice you’re going to bed earlier than you normally do. Not staying up to get in that last dip. You may notice some sores in your mouth. You’re thinking, “great, I quit dipping and now I have cancer.” You almost certainly don’t. Your mouth is healing itself. Tiny ulcers you’ve had for a long time are healing. We recommend you visit your dentist around the 30 day mark. Don’t be a pansy, just do it. He or she will be very supportive and they can explain the sores much better than we can. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t go out drinking with the fellas or the girls. We also recommend that you don’t drink for at least the first 50 days. Drinking is a huge trigger event and it weakens your resolve.

Days 50 – 70 – Cruise control. Life is really good. You still think about it, but this is good stuff here. Some people may suffer anxiety attacks during or a little before this stage. Some doctors say we dipped to relieve anxiety anyway. Some people can push right through this, others need a little help. Talk to your doctor before you quit or immediately after you quit. They will know what to do. Some give Wellbutrin or Lexapro. Lots of people in the support community take or have taken these medicines and can help you with the affects. Don’t wait till you get to this stage of the game to talk to a doctor. You’ll cruise through this stage much easier if you know how to take care of the anxiety or at least know it’s coming.

Days 70 – 90 – Late term craves, the doldrums, the blahs, the blues. Some people end up feeling like they are right back at day 1. The fog, the haze, the craves. It can be a tough time. You need to let people in your group know this is happening. Time to circle the wagons to get through it. It usually only lasts a few days. Fight through this and make sure your order your HOF Knife or Coin. Here are a couple of articles about this time period which we refer to as “The Funk”

Days 90 – HOF – Houston, resume the countdown. Enjoy the hell out of these last 10 days. You will be celebrating with your group as you all enter the HOF. It is a great feeling and an accomplishment you should not take lightly. Do something special for yourself and your family. They put up with your sorry ass for the last 90 days and they deserve something too.

100+ Days – Stay vigilant. Use the tools you have, to continue beating back any cravings or urges. You will still experience dip dreams and longings, but you are fully qualified to beat them down. Continue to post roll with your group. Get into the newer groups and help somebody out. Pass it along. Live the dream.

Related Reading

Notify of
guest

4.6K Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Chris
Chris
2 days ago

After 42 years of nicotine I’m finally quitting. I’m on day 38 and it fells great. Still craving one. Going to keep pushing on.

John
John
6 days ago

Day 4. Found this article trying to find out if the headaches and brain fog are normal. Guess it is

Jonny
Jonny
8 days ago

Day 92, brain fog has been around since day 2 or 3. Go through most days without giving dip much thought. I gained alot of weight but now I am able to control my eating without craving a dip, so I signed up for CrossFit and am going on a diet. Never stop improving. Quitting dip is just the first step to a more enjoyable life.

Derrick
Derrick
10 days ago

I’m on day 2 for the thousandth time it seems. Quit for a year, pick it back up. Quit for 2 years, pick it back up. Hopefully this is my last day 2.

Jonny
Jonny
8 days ago
Reply to  Derrick

Dude, the first week is hell and you’ll have to fight like hell, no real way to ease the process, just stay determined, suffer through it, you got this

Ram
Ram
16 days ago

I have successfully completed 1 year and 1 month. I would say, for those new quitters, feel its possible to get rid of this shit. Definitely you can. All needed is to encourage yourself.

Trex
Trex
17 days ago

Day 69 anxiety has been rough this past week still hanging in but hurting bad boys.

Micah
Micah
22 days ago

So I went to the dentist last night. While he’s doing his routine stuff he says “You dip, don’t you?” I say yes. Then he says “Everything looks good”

James
James
24 days ago

Hi chewie. I’ve tried to quit multiple times before but after seeing the Sean Marsee video I’ve become more determined than ever. I’m on day 5 right now

Ram
Ram
13 days ago
Reply to  James

On Behalf of chewie… ” Day 5 is very promising. Make it Day 50 and you can see nice results”

James
James
24 days ago

Day 15….is it normal to feel like the HULK!? Like wtf! I feel like I can run a marathon or kill a man with my bear hands lol.

Day 76er
Day 76er
26 days ago

Hey yall! I’m on day 76 right now. The fog has always been there, but it came back stronger a couple of days ago. Is this normal? How long until the fog should disappear completely? TIA!!

Day 76ers
Day 76ers
24 days ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thanks for the affirmation! I’ve heard things magically start getting better at day of 90. You think this is true?

Doug
Doug
23 days ago
Reply to  Day 76er

We are all different, for me the fog lasted about 8 months. Which was unusually long. I really suffered with that fog! I hated it! However, once it lifted for good it never came back. Now I’m almost 2 years in and I can’t even really remember what the fog felt like, I just remember it was hell. The only thing I deal with now are cravings and triggers to dip. But the memory of that long lasting fog is a great motivation to never go back to that nic bitch again, don’t want to ever go through that again. Use this time to get really motivated to continue your quit. It’s not for nothing. And will help keep you quit long term.

Victor
Victor
1 month ago

Had 2 months off in 2022, then I caved. Back now, day 5 new year new me all that bs. Except, no withdrawals whatsoever (knock on wood), and this is coming from 2 cans a day to cold turkey. Don’t get it, but am enjoying it (wallet deff is aswell). Good luck everyone!

James
James
1 month ago

YO! Why do I feel like there’s nothing in life worth doing if I don’t have a dip in! I’m hurting bad….must chew..

James
James
1 month ago
Reply to  Chewie

Day 4…getting easier. I’m wondering how long will it take for these cravings to go away completely? Do they ever go away?

Trex
Trex
1 month ago

Day 46 last two days have been the only days I have really had cravings, but man they have been rough

Trex
Trex
21 days ago
Reply to  Chewie

At 65 days now and from my post at 46 days to now life has sucked. Cravings, muscle pain, anxiety, I have been getting my butt kicked, but still hanging in.

Anonymous
Anonymous
1 month ago

Day 55 today! Brain fog has come creeping back the last few days, but I can tell that the irritability has really disappeared. My poor roommate heard me vent/yell about so many things. Hopefully I’m in the homestretch!

Ram
Ram
1 month ago

WOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!! One Year Over today!!! What an achievement? KTC really helped me to complete this milestone. Still I wouldnt say am completely out of cravings. Some times felt really having one. But NO. Once done is done and never attempt for even smallest of small dip. Thanks to chewy! Your motivation is just awesome when i was down on depression for first few days of my quit. My health is super now. More energitic, good and deep sleep, No bad odour from mouth… Great feeling!! Those who want to quit, please do immediately before it takes your life.

Regards
Ram

WizzDad
WizzDad
2 months ago

Day 3. Some cravings but no headaches yet. I’ve quit before. Sometimes couple weeks. Sometimes few months. On and off for well since 1987 I guess. I need to quit. I believe I want to quit. One of my old navy buddies has cancer now from chew. I feel like I will be next if I don’t quit. It impacts my work and home life. Staying up late. Isolation. I am successful professional but this dumb habit. Chew is now $10. I chew a can per week. They just outlawed cherry and spearmint Skoal so I’m trying again to kill it for good.

1 39 40 41
Back to top button
4.6K
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x