The first time I heard about this product was when someone posted a response to our Smokeless Alternative Reviews page here on the blog.
The word “snus” quite frankly is a real turn off for me. However I have a feeling that it’s because of all of my knowledge that I’ve attained since I’ve quit. That said, I know that there are quite a few “snusers” out there and there’s a growing number of them who are looking to quit so I reached out to the commenter and got my hands on a sample to try.
About The Product
Absolut Snus is marketed as being the “Swedish Coffee Formula” and having and “Energy Booster”. It contains no tobacco, no nicotine and comes in a 1.2 0z tin. The label reads:
Sweden Falun USA, Santa Clarita, CA
Copyright 2010 Peter Farkas
MADE IN USA
Big Kahuna’s Hawaiian Coffee Co.
Distributed by Niche Distributors & Associates
As I said before, the word “snus” to me has a very negative connotation. Putting that aside, I was interested to see a smokeless alternative that was coffee flavored. Even before opening the tin I noticed an incredible coffee smell. Very aromatic. Speaking of packaging Absolut Snus comes in a very cool “screw top” tin. Quite a bit different than a typical Cope or Kodiak tin, but a nice touch indeed.
When you first unscrew the tin the product looks like a mix between a hockey puck and shoe polish. I wasn’t quite sure to do at this point as the product really doesn’t need to be “packed” like any sort of dip I’ve ever sampled in the past. In fact, even if you want to pack the product you really couldn’t. I took a pinch and in it went.
- Great coffee flavor. If you’re a coffee drinker you’ll definitely enjoy the flavor that comes through here.
- Great “spitability” – produces quite a bit of saliva.
- “Energy Boost” – honestly I’m not quite sure about this one. Kind of felt like having a cup of coffee late in the evening.
- Long lasting flavor – the “dip” that I had lasted quite a long time and even when I took it out had quite a bit of that coffee flavor coming through.
- If you don’t like coffee, you’re most likely not going to like this product.
- Falls apart the same way that Cope used to (for some this may be a pro, but for me it was just messy).
- Isn’t a traditional “dip” – though this is marketed as snus rather than dip/chew.
We’ve got quite a few people on our forums that use tea bags or coffee grounds as a smokeless alternative. Those people will love this stuff. The coffee taste is incredible and if you’re looking for spit you’ll get a ton here. I was never a “snuser” so I can’t comment on how close this it to the snus experience. For me, it was very similar to what I remember Cope Fine Cut to be (IE, it fell apart quite a bit). I would have liked to have seen a more moist product directly out of the can, but once it was in my mouth and I got over the “hockey puck” visual it was a more than adequate alternative. Special thanks to Peter for sending along a sample.
Disclaimer: In accordance with FTC Guidelines, we hereby inform this site’s viewers that we occasionally receive products for review purposes. At no time has payment has been made in order to elicit positive reviews. Affiliate links may be present in the above content. Read our disclosure policy for more info.