Symptoms of Quitting Dip and Chew

Symptoms When Quitting NicotineQuitting dipping is not an easy thing… if you’re like most of us, when you quit you’ll go through some withdrawal symptoms… These are completely normal. That being said… if you are concerned about a particular symptom, by all means go to a doctor and get checked!!! This will help both your peace of mind and may catch something before it gets serious.

Dip Dreams – you’ve been dipping for years sometimes decades. Your brain is used to thinking a certain way with a certain amount of nic in it… once that’s taken away many people have “dip dreams”. These dreams range from mild to incredibly intense. Many times people will wake up after a dip dream and feel terrible because they really think that they caved. Many have reported that they can taste and smell the dip. Never fear… it’s only a dream.

Sores In Your Mouth (lip, tongue, cheek, etc.) – you’re done dipping… why does your mouth hurt so damn bad? You’ve got more sores in your mouth now than when you were dipping. What’s going on?!? There are a couple of explanations for this one. First, if you’re like most of us, you’ve found something to replace your dip to get you past the oral fixation (See Smokeless Alternatives). If you’re chewing seeds then there’s a TON of salt in your mouth that wasn’t there before. Also once you get dip out of your system the PH balance in your mouth is changing. Bottom line is this – get to a dentist and get checked out. But unless something stays around for more than two weeks you should be good to go.

Can’t Sleep – you’ve quit dipping and now you can’t sleep at all. Never fear, this is completely normal experience. It’ll take a while, but your sleep patterns will return to normal.

The Fog – you’re dizzy… you can’t think straight… your head hurts… you find yourself staring at your computer screen for hours on end not reading anything. Welcome to the dip fog. Your brain can’t handle the fact that you’re no longer feeding it dip. It might last just a couple of days and it might last a couple of weeks. Do not fret… once the fog lifts you’re well on your way to being dip free. Check out this article that Chewie has written about The Fog of Quitting Dip

Headaches – you might have one that brings you to your knees, or you might just have that dull thud feeling all day long — this too shall pass.

Sore Throat – If you’re a dipper and you quit you’re scared of anything that’s “off”. Why when you quit dipping do you suddenly get a sore throat? We’re not sure why but it happens more often than you’d think. Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. This will help flush the nicotine and will help with your sore throat.

Anxiety – for years you’ve been dealing with life while medicating yourself with nicotine — it’s gone now and your body isn’t used to dealing with life without it. This condition will pass though you may want to talk to a doctor about some medication to take the edge off.

Problems “Going” – whether you know it or not, nicotine is a laxative. It’s helped keep you “regular” through all of your years of dipping. It takes some people a while to get their body adjusted to going without their natural dip laxative. Drink plenty of water and eventually this one will be “behind you”.

Hot Flashes – This one has been reported as a real doozy. Face, arms, legs, etc. can be very “warm” with some intense sweats. While this is a “symptom” it’s also been quite the trigger for some folks. Drink some water, get to the site and talk.

Depression – Many people have dipped for years or decades. Removing such an integral (though deadly) part of your life can lead to some pretty serious behavioral issues including depression. Talk to the folks on the boards as this is pretty common. As with any health issue please don’t hesitate to see a doctor as well. For more details about depression as a quitter click here.

There are a variety of other symptoms that have been attributed to quitting dip. If you don’t see yours listed, contact us and let us know about it!

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
1.1K Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Steven
Steven
3 days ago

Hey guys. Day 62 here.

Cravings over the last 3 days have been extreme. I feel most of my anxiety has gotten under control but I have some days where I feel almost entirely fine, then I’ll have a couple days feeling mostly depressed and having racing thoughts.

Trying to sleep a lot, eat a well balanced diet, and get tons of sunlight to help. Also talking to friends and family helps.

Did anyone else experience depression, anxiety, and racing thoughts this far in? Day 62.

I’m tempted to cave and begin using zynn again if I can’t get this mental fog and depressed feeling to go away soon.

This forum has been a big help. Thanks guys.

Adam
Adam
3 days ago
Reply to  Steven

I’m almost on day 90, and, yeah, man, unfortunately, it’s part of it. My fog lifted between month two and now, so, hopefully, you are close too. I still get cravings from time to time. I also still get that voice that says, “just one pinch”, but, we already know what the leads to. Hang in there, and fight back.

Steven
Steven
3 days ago
Reply to  Chewie

I ordered some grinds that came today to hopefully help with wanting something in my lip.

Chewie, how long did your “funky” mood last?

Steven
Steven
2 days ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thanks for replying Chewie. The support here is great.

Steven
Steven
3 days ago
Reply to  Adam

Thanks Adam. Do you remember when the depressed feelings went away? It’s strange for me. I’ll have a good day then a completely bad day. Some days I don’t feel depressed at all, then I’ll have a day where I feel hopeless lol. Been like this for about a week and a half.

Adam
Adam
2 days ago
Reply to  Steven

It was around the 9-10 week mark for me. I started sleeping better, and the fog got significantly better. I have also noticed that alcohol makes things way worse, so I backed way off of the cold one’s, and, yes sir, it has felt way better. I have also noticed that the busier I am during the day the better things get, so I have doubled down staying moving even if we aren’t busy at work.

Steven
Steven
2 days ago
Reply to  Adam

Thanks dude. Hopefully I’m right around the corner from feeling good more regularly.

Poorjoe
Poorjoe
4 days ago

My last dip was 2/6/21. Then I got Covid a week later!!! Anyway I had been dipping on & off for close to 35 years. Quitting is easy. I’ve quit lots of times. It only takes one dip to immediately un-quit again. I’m glad I found this site. I don’t want to dip ever again. My biggest issue, which started this week is the panic/ anxiety attacks from out of nowhere!!! It sucks!!! I hope this part passes soon. 24 days & counting!!

Josh
Josh
2 days ago
Reply to  Poorjoe

Awesome! I had chewed for 14 years and I had my last dip on 2/5/21. I used zyn for a week or so but just quit cold turkey. Some days are better than others. Today marks one month since I’ve chewed. I still feel foggy and like I can’t focus so I am seriously hoping that I start to feel human soon. Hang in there guys!!!

Tyeson88
8 days ago

I have been done for about 2 weeks after 12 years and my mouth is more sore then ever. I’m glad to be saving money tho. I used on of the hemp alternatives.

Cody Kerans
Cody Kerans
6 days ago
Reply to  Tyeson88

There was one week where my bottom gums in front were dry as could be. I guess it was just part of the healing process but it’s gone now thank God!

MG
MG
1 month ago

Day 40. I never really noticed if I had tinnitus before, but for the last several days it’s really noticeable. Can’t think of any other reason for it to suddenly come on and I only notice it when it’s dead quiet and I focus on it, so it’s faint in silence, but I notice it.

Anyone else have or experience this? I have an appointment with and ENT last week and had my ears cleaned yesterday.

Thx.

MG
MG
1 month ago
Reply to  Chewie

Yup. It’s been going on for about a week or so. But for all I know it’s always been there and I never noticed it or gave it much thought, but of course my anxiety is focused on it. It’s weird.

Jayblack6
Jayblack6
1 month ago

I’m on day 3 for my quit and I’m raging out!!!! Tightness in my chest and my neck tenses up and then stops for a few minutes….

Luke
Luke
1 month ago
Reply to  Jayblack6

I have that same thing happen to me, I’m also on day 3. I get the tightness in my jaw too. I have been using nicotine free and Tabasco free chew to help me.

DDD
DDD
1 month ago

Give it time, it all goes away. The damage takes time to set in, time can heal it too.

MG
MG
1 month ago

UPDATE: 31 Days today. Haven’t had any major issues with urges since the first day I quit. 6 year habit, every day user, two cans a week. …I seem to have inconsistent days of brain fog and restless sleep. For a while during the 31 days my sleep was deep the best in a long time. Now it’s back to restless the last few nights. Also, some days I have superhuman powers and feel amazing and other days I’m waking up funky with brain fog.

So not horrible, could be worse, but the inconsistent part sucks because just when you think you are making progress, you wake up the next day feeling crappy.

I thought the brain fog would be gone by now based on the 2-4 weeks I’ve read online in various places.

MG
MG
1 month ago
Reply to  Chewie

Hey Chewie, thanks for the reply. What specifically did you experience regarding alcohol intake and sleep? I don’t drink except occasionally on the weekends and even that is rare these days, but I am just curious about your experience. I notice that even just two beers can give me restless sleep, so I just don’t do it on weekdays especially. Cheers!

1 7 8 9
Flaviar - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Back to top button
1.1K
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x