Spousal Support For Someone Who’s Quitting Dip

Spousal SupportSteps To Helping Your Spouse Stay Quit

1. Don’t nag. It won’t help and will only cause underlying feelings of anger and resentment, all of which are likely to drive your spouse back to the can out of spite. DO NOT throw away your spouses stash. That is their decision to make and if you do it, we are back to the spite thing. WE will make sure they flush it BEFORE they are allowed to post a Day 1 here.
  2. Realize that your spouse has to quit because he/she wants to. Your spouse can’t quit for you or for your children. Without the “want” of doing it, as opposed to the “being told to”, “the promise to”, “the deadline has arrived”, “the guilt” of doing it, chances are the quit will fail.
  3. Support is crucial! Be involved, in a positive way, in your spouse’s quit! Ask what day it is. (There is a quit tracker on the homepage of this site that will keep track of days quit and dollars saved) Tell him/her that you know it is hard and you are proud of him/her for what he/she is doing. Don’t be condescending. Don’t smother. Find the line and toe it.
  4. Gear up; it’s going to be a rough ride! It is important that you know that you will be the target of anger or sudden outbursts. You must know that this is all part of quitting the addiction and ridding the body and mind of the nasty chemicals and dependency that so many of us were foolish enough to subject ourselves to. When the anger gets directed towards you or other family members realize what is going on. Remove the kids from the battle zone, remove yourself. This will pass. We encourage all quitters to come to our Discord Server or our forums to vent and rage. Get mad at the vets on the site. Vent to other quitters who are going through the same thing or have been where your spouse is now. We have come to love the rage. It signifies healing and recovery. Directed towards the right people (us) it is healthy.
  5. Encourage, allow, desire that your spouse become active on our site, forums, blog and social media channels. An overwhelming majority of successful quitters will testify that they could not have succeeded without the support of the people and information on the site. Know that if your spouse is active on the site, he/she will make friends with complete strangers. Internet friends. Your spouse will hopefully give out a phone number and take phone numbers in. There is nothing hinky in this. It is all part of the support system. Spouses have been told, “Honey, I have friends that I have never met, all over the country. They feel like brothers to me and I owe them my life.” Many of us have met in person too. As we travel, we make plans to get together. Organized weekend get-togethers have been done. There is a camaraderie that is generated, that is hard to explain, but wonderful to experience.
  6. Understand that this is going to be the most difficult thing your spouse has ever done. It will also be the most rewarding (just short of marrying you, I’m sure). Internal battles will rage. Our forums can be their outlet. If the rage, short temper, etc. are manifesting itself in ways that affect your relationship, encourage them to see a doctor. Some of us had no choice but to resort to medication to save the world from ourselves. There is no shame in it. It won’t be a permanent thing, just for a couple months. Depression can also be symptom of nicotine cessation. It’s completely normal. If you notice withdrawal from family or friends, again, get them to a doctor. Be encouraging, remember, he’s a big burly man that thinks the last thing he needs is medication to cope. Send a vet a PM and we’ll explain it to them for you; you can stay completely out of it.
  7. Quitting is a wonderful time of self discovery and reflection. Like most of us your spouse probably can’t remember much about life without a can. He can’t remember how he acted, handled situations, etc. This is the fun part of quitting because he gets to, in some ways; condition his mind to hopefully be a better person.

For additional Spousal Support please see the following Facebook Group created by a spouse – NOT by KTC or a KTC member: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493805211924591/

Subscribe
Notify of

314 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Weaning Progress!
Weaning Progress!
2 years ago

Hi all – not sure I have a cure-all tip, since my husband is still doing it, but I wanted to share a little good news. I was talking with my therapist about how much I hate it (you all know the reasons, so I don’t have to list it here). One thing we talked about was how it affects my attraction to him and thus our intimacy. She suggested I come to him with this proposition: he won’t dip on Saturdays after a certain time (we chose 6pm). Then, that gives us some dip-free time together, which is a turn-on for me, so it’s a win for him too!

One added benefit is that he realized he could go longer than he thought without dipping…so the next week he weaned a little more without me prompting/nagging/pleading. He’s still dipping a lot, but he’s proud of his reduced use and, as you’ve heard here, it was his decision.

I think the bottom line though, is find a therapist to talk to about it! They may have some strategies that work for YOU. You need support through this too. This website is great, but it doesn’t replace a professional you can talk with regularly.

Over it
Over it
2 years ago

My husband quit dipping when we got married (almost 20 years ago) then about 10 or so years ago started back up. It absolutely disgusts me & seeing that lump in his mouth has killed any and all physical attraction. He went from hiding it to doing it all the time and has his nasty spit bottles everywhere, which I feel like is a slap in the face. I’m done asking him to quit for me and I don’t think he’ll ever be mentally strong enough to decide to quit so we are never intimate. It’s been years since we have kissed at all, and as more time passes, there’s a bigger wedge between us. Should I just surrender every fantasy of him ever quitting?

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Over it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/493805211924591/

I created this private FB group for people whose partners chew. It may help to hear others perspectives.

DDD
DDD
2 years ago

Imagine there is something that you love to do and it has become part of your life.
The consequences of doing it can someday hurt you in some way (financially or health wise), but that day isn’t today.
To compound the problem, when you try to quit doing that which you love, comes with a thousand details that add discomfort to your life, what would you do?
It has to be tough for those watching us while we are trying so vehemently to destroy ourselves.
How do you help someone that does not want to help himself/herself?

Becca
Becca
2 years ago

I created a private spousal support FB group for anyone interested in support.

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago

I am seeking tips from JayP or Chewie or both. Or others. My boyfriend has been dipping since he was 9 years old, he’s now 46. He has tried to quit many times but usually goes back to it after 3 days, longest has been 5 days. He says he starts back because of the headaches and fog feeling, dizziness and has also said because of a bad day at work. He is a truck driver. (He says another driver was late so he had to wait etc.). I have never asked him to quit, it is always him that brings it up. I am supportive of him and want to help him. I recently found out about fake dip and I’m wondering if this will help. He said to order it when I told him about it. What would work better, fake dip, patches or lozenges? His mother had a stroke last year and she was a smoker. He tried to quit then. When he started back up he hid it from me and I asked him why. He said he didn’t want to see the look of disappointment on my face. I told him many people have to try to quit several times and that he can do it when he’s ready. I believe he really does want to quit but it has such a hold on him. What else can I do to try and help him break this addiction? I worry about the adverse health effects.

Thank you.

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thank you very much Chewy! I will definitely encourage him to turn to this site. I will continue to check here as well so I can help him every way possible. Thank you for the fast reply!

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

5,422 days free that is fantastic!!!!

Cheri Stewart
Cheri Stewart
2 years ago

A poem I wrote that expresses how I feel about my boyfriend’s chewing.

The Liar:

It whispers in your ear, “I’m what you need, you will never be independent of me! I give you tranquility and peace. What else makes you feel like this. Be honest, with me life is true bliss. The one that you love, nags you to stop. She can’t understand what you and I got. She is the enemy not me. Why would she want you to be free? You know you could just stop but I’ll make sure you miss me a lot! The woman, that’s your real enemy. Why can’t she just let you be? Oh, I know what they say. I cost a lot, I’m a filthy habit that could lead to cancer and rot. What are the chances of that being true? Aren’t I worth the risk to you? So she leaves, what’s the big deal? Why didn’t she just accept you for being you. You are now a part of me. Together we have destiny. Let her walk out, she’s done it before. Her threats are vain, we should just ignore. It’s you and me to the end. I promise, I’m your one true friend.”

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Cheri Stewart

I just found this site, it has such a strong hold on them doesn’t it!

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thanks Chewie!

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Cheri Stewart

That is so good!!

Cheri Stewart
Cheri Stewart
2 years ago

I just found this group and really struggle with my boyfriend chewing. When we first started dating, he didn’t tell me he used dip until I was already invested in the relationship. When I found out, I told him it was a deal breaker for me. He promised me that he wanted to quit and would start right away. I was really proud of him because it seemed like he was following the instructions on the lozenges he was using. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that he had been lying to me. He was still using at work and would use lozenges when he was around me. I broke up with him because of the lying. After a month, he promised me that he was committed to quit and after a month was really proud of himself for only using two lozenges a day. I once again believed that he was doing what he said he was but soon realized he was still using at work. He is surrounded by men that dip all day at work, which makes it more difficult. I have tried so many things, being supportive, not saying anything, nagging, getting mad all to no avail. I have let him know that it is still a deal breaker for me in our relationship. He said he will quit when he is ready. This makes me feel like he will never quit. I’m not sure what to do. I really love him but after reading numerous other stories, I feel it is a battle he may never win. Especially because of his work environment. Should I give him more time? It has already been 9 months. Or do I wait for changes? He has had other addiction issues in the past that he has overcome. However, I worry (in his own words), that he will stop this addiction and exchange it for another one. Thoughts? I do care about him very much but I am not willing to enable or accept this habit long term.

Lyssa
Lyssa
2 years ago
Reply to  Cheri Stewart

My husband has been dipping since he was 16. After getting out of the Army he moved in with me and I asked him to quit. As a nurse I explained everything that could happen. My husband has tried countless times to quit. After the birth of each of our children he has also tried. In the beginning I was very frustrated, yelling, etc. After 10+ years of living with my husband, I’ve learned that he needs to do this on his own time. He quit for 3 months almost 4 years ago. He hasn’t been successful since recent. My hubbie is going on 6 weeks no dip. What he finds that is helping us using fake chew to help with that oral sensation. From what I learned, he has to be ready and want to quit. As a wife, I have tried to be his support system and not the enforcer. Hope this helps

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Lyssa

That is great that he has gone 6 weeks! I am trying to find out more about the fake dip for my boyfriend. I never knew it even existed till recently. What kind did your husband use to quit? Brand etc.? Thank you!

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

He uses Grizzly long cut straight.
Thank you!

Lyssa
Lyssa
2 years ago
Reply to  Heidi

Smokey Mountain is the brand. My husband used grizzly before too

Heidi
Heidi
2 years ago
Reply to  Lyssa

Thank you Lyssa.

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Cheri Stewart

I wish I had those answers as well. My husband chewed before he met me and while dating but hid it from me. He quite for like 10 years (so I think…) but has started it back up the past 2 years. He is constantly hiding and lying about it so I am not sure what to do either…

Cheri Stewart
Cheri Stewart
2 years ago
Reply to  Becca

My biggest fear is that he will change for a short time and then go back to it. If I marry him I will be in it for the long haul. I wish this wasn’t so hard. I love him but hate nicotine. I know there are success stories and that’s what gives me hope.

Becca
Becca
2 years ago

Is there a private Facebook group for spousal support?

Jodi
Jodi
2 years ago
Reply to  Becca

Spousal support would be amazing. My husband hid the fact that he dipped until after we were married and I’m amazed how many others this has happened to. Frankly, I hold a lot of anger and resentment about that AND the completely empty promises to quite for over a decade now.

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Jodi

I totally agree! I just hope and pray my hubby quits before it’s too late. Now he has it in right in front of me but will deny it.😕 Maybe I should start a FB group?

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Jodi

I created a FB support group if anyone is interested https://www.facebook.com/groups/493805211924591/

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Jodi

I created a private Facebook group if you’re interested.

Over it
Over it
2 years ago
Reply to  Jodi

Same. I’m so bitter about the lies and hiding. I find myself irritated just being around him because there’s evidence of him dipping either in his truck, in his lip or around him. I’m so frustrated that I fell for the lies multiple times.

Michele
Michele
2 years ago

Looking for support. Long story short, married to the most amazing man for 24 years…and he’s been unsuccessfully quitting for all 24. I’m just so tired. Tired of finding the hidden cans. Tired of finding the flakes on counters, in cars, on the bathroom floor. Lost both my parents young and thought he’d want to prevent our daughters from going through the same thing. I need help. How do I accept the fact that I just can’t trust him? How do I accept I’ll most likely outlive him and have to go about life without him? Thank you in advance for any pearls of wisdom.

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Michele

I feel the same…😕

Becca
Becca
2 years ago
Reply to  Michele

The lies and mistrust are the hardest to deal with it. Like he denies it and I can smell it in his mouth. They really think we are stupid about it.

Jodi
Jodi
2 years ago
Reply to  Michele

Same. Twelve plus years and I have all of the same thoughts, anger, and resentment.

Michelle
Michelle
3 years ago

Hello, so my son looked in my husband’s work bag and found 3 tins of chew and a spit bottle. I was in complete shock. I had found some years ago, and he said he wouldn’t do it again. Apparently he’s been doing it on and off for the last 17 years. I’m so hurt and feel incredibly betrayed. I feel like my marriage is going to suffer because i don’t trust him. I feel stuck and don’t know what to do. I’ve been reading how addictive it is and don’t believe he’s going to stop. I feel so alone.

Lauren
Lauren
3 years ago

I read A LOT today. At least 2 hours of these comments of spousal support and ways to support your addicted partner. I was looking for resources to help us. We have been through almost 2 years of “I promise I’ll quit”, but then I find him hiding it. I have tried offering resources online like this, apps, found fake chew and got it for him to try, been positive and let him know I was proud of his efforts. But 99% of the time bringing it up resulting in a fight screaming at each other because he thinks that’s part of who he is and I won’t accept or love him for who he is. But he is not chew. He is kind, hardworking, selfless, funny, smart and so much more. But none of those traits came from chew. They didn’t make him like that. What I see is that without chew he becomes irritable, short-tempered, irrational, mean, blaming others, not accepting. I need help because I fear there’s no end in sight. I’m at my breaking point. I had to do what I never wanted to and told him it was chew or me.
I came here looking for people who have been in the same position. But after 250+ comments of women who have dated or been married to addicts… I was very torn and discouraged. I also read the accountability ones for the men helping each other too. And how if they cave they get an ass chewing from the veteran quitters and told to get back on the wagon. They’re encouraging and real and honest. Many have been successful, and they want to help. That gives me a glimmer of hope. But it can only come if he wants to use it.
My discouragement comes from almost every single one of them had shared feelings I’ve had and had a husband who quit and then hid it and went back to it and how the lies & behaviors and beliefs with the nicotine grasp are so strong they don’t even think their marriage is worth it. A few said to not marry them because they won’t ever quit. He will have been using for 10 years come next December. I cannot fight it for our lives. I cannot have the disappointment and broken trust and lies and heartbreak and resentment in my marriage. I deserve better than that because I am better than a dead plant in a can. I come before it and I will not settle for less. I have a thousand thoughts racing in my mind and I feel so conflicted because some are hopeful but I also have a whispering nag saying it will come back. It will always affect us. If he can not make this change I cannot stay with him. I told him it was the chew or me. And I mean it. He responded so angrily and said I don’t love him and that “I’ve got it coming for me.”- meaning he wants to make me feel the feelings he has to go through from quitting. He hates my career choice (military) and said I should quit that because it’s unhealthy for me. It’s his only rebuttal to our fights about chew because I tell him I care about his health.
I will not put myself through a marriage and have children with that influence in their lives. It is either his choice to have premature death & me leaving for good or quitting. I will leave the ring, give back everything I’ve had from him and go. I will face the heartbreak. I don’t owe anyone an explanation of breaking off our engagement. I will go back to drowning in my career and face a harder, darker depression. It may kill me. It will be heartbreak of being less than tobacco to the man I love. But leaving to escape the addiction is the LAST thing I ever want to do. But if I have to, I will.

My thoughts are so negative but I know they are probably true. We are currently living in two different places as I work on bettering my mental health and we try to date again and learn how to not solely rely on each other’s presence for happiness. I’ve noticed he’s in a better mood during the day. He’s chipper when he’s FaceTiming me. He has multiple full spit bottles. I can see how those things correlate. He doesn’t have to hide it from me when I’m not there. It’s so much easier for him when I can’t see it over the phone. I hate the feeling that he’s probably happier doing that than when I was there and he didn’t have it. It breaks my heart. Just typing that made me cry. I still don’t feel like he has chosen me. He said he was quitting cold turkey. He didn’t say he was choosing me. I know almost every post says they are not successful unless they want to do it and they’re ready. I don’t understand how him knowing that I cannot take the effects of it on us and will leave; yet still not want to do it. Why watching his grandpa die early and how crushed his mom gets that he won’t quit cigarettes has brought back his lung cancer again to a point where the treatment doesn’t even work anymore and it’s slow painful death. I don’t get why a few minutes of satisfaction is worth more than that. Why knowing that it does so many bad things to his body and would instead just feel good. I can’t feel good in a relationship when I am the affair he is having with a can of chew.
We are suppose to get married in May. Every other aspect of who he is is perfect to me. I want to be treated how he treats me for the rest of my life. I cannot imagine my life without him but I cannot imagine my life being second to chew either.
I need help please. I don’t know how to approach these feelings with him. I feel so alone even thought I know this page has many people in this boat. I need advice. Anything.

Teresa
Teresa
3 years ago
Reply to  Lauren

I wish I could give good info. Married 23 yrs in pending divorce. I was supportive and didn’t ask him to quit. But it got to point chew was in 7am to 7 pm and made relations gross. Spit it out but didn’t brush etc. I get it. I loved him. I don’t want to change anyone but I am sure my disgust of the habit added to reasons of divorce. You never warmly accept when that stuff is in their mouth. I get him wanting you to accept. We all have habits, vices and things about us. But if you know it will be a deal breaker going in thinking you will change it will be a life of disappointment.

Being realistic.

Rian
Rian
3 years ago
Reply to  Lauren

This will come off as short and cold. But, I can only very sincerely say that you need to cut your losses and end this relationship. You have not yet invested years of your life and soul with this man and started a family together. It’s not worth staying out with such huge rift between you and with you both needing so much work. He has a long road of recovery from addiction ahead of him….. and that’s AFTER and IF he ever decides he needs to quit. And, there are some things that you said that speak to you being to get some help for yourself find a way to be happy and healthy on your own. I doubt you will both make the journeys you each need to make, together, and end up on the other side of it happy and together. Good luck.

Jennifer Carpenter
Jennifer Carpenter
3 years ago

My boyfriend and I are going on a year of “he quit/he’s lying” we have only been together a year and a half. When we got together about 6 months after he wanted to quit, I helped support, offered advice… kept accountability while never pushing or doing more then what the recommended support was.
Last October he went on anti-depressants for major mood swings from quitting. He went from tobacco dip, to zyn, then “quit”
Only to find out.. that he was still dipping occasionally. Then he stopped again. And I caught him with it in his mouth one day, and he admitted it was a 1 time slip.., so he quit again. This happened 6 times between July/November when supposedly his last dip was right before thanksgiving.
We were good, he was home helping me work.. then in May he started a massive job and got stressed “he says” and bought a can of Zyn, but I only found out because he left a pouch in his pocket.. it devastated me. We had a plan if he ever had an urge to give me every opportunity to help him through it. He used the whole can.. 7-8 times in 2 days. We are now 7 weeks past it, and there’s so much that makes me feel like he’s still using nicotine pouches. And they alter his mood, and I hate it.
I can’t take the lying… it seems to never stop, but he swears he isn’t, but I can not seem to find trust again. I have tried for weeks to start to re-establish trust. He refuses to seek any help for it. He just swears he’s not using. And unless I catch him with it in his mouth he says it’s not a thing…
I can’t live like this, the anxiety makes me miserable. I cry constantly. It’s not the using it’s the lying. It’s happened over 8 times. How do you get past it? Is there really even any hope? Am I just wasting time on this relationship because it’s who he is and he won’t change..
He’s a different man when he uses, and I refuse to be with someone who can only be the best version of themself if they have nicotine.
I just feel so hopeless.. like this year and a half I’ve invested was for nothing because it just brought out lies and so so much hurt.

Caitlin
Caitlin
3 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

What does you by “when he’s ready”? What does it take for him to reach that point? Is there anything his loved ones can do? Do we have to just sit and accept it and wait until that day? What does it take?

Rebecca Waxbom
Rebecca Waxbom
3 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

Should we throw out their stash if we find it or is this useless?

Jennifer
Jennifer
3 years ago

I know what you are going through. My boyfriend quit a month before we dated. He still had cravings and he stopped for good. Two weeks ago he told me he never quit. He told me he had his mind set to it. He was going to quit. Last week he called me saying he did it again. He doesn’t want to quit but he wants to be a better person. I don’t get it. He shuts me out about it. I love him and I’m going to be by his side through this. It breaks my heart seeing his mood swings. He has an herb that keeps him from it but it doesn’t work. It has side effects that have noting with getting off dip. Idk what to do.

Hollie Lynn Bard
Hollie Lynn Bard
3 years ago

Recently out of no where my husband uses this stuff now. I am so grossed out by this that it changed how I look at him. I love his lips and now that the nasty crap is in it often, I dont want to kiss him. I also enjoyed look at his booty in nice Jean’s and well now I dont, if i see the tin in it the back pocket, well…their goes that view.
He is purposely doing this and now it has changed how I see him. I’m NOT okay

How can I get past this? I literally feel like him dipping will end our marriage

I’m extremely hurt, Completely turned off.

He doesnt care about what it’s doing to US, only cares about the “good effects “for HIM

Amelia
Amelia
3 years ago

Hi everyone, I just joined. I found my husband dipping tonight for the first time in what I thought was 2 years. He started in college while playing sports, and was in the sports world after that for ~7 years so it was a normal thing. It didn’t bother me until we started getting older and I guess I started caring when i realized we were not invincible/I started working in healthcare . Anyway, after an argument about it on NYE 2 years ago, he told me he quit. Tonight I caught him doing it, he denied it to my face but I could see it in his mouth and he finally admitted. It felt like I got punched in the stomach. We just got married 4 months ago. I KNOW there are way worse things he could do, so I don’t want to seem crazy or overbearing, but the lying and trying to hide it kills me. I don’t know if he ever quit that NYE, maybe he tried, maybe not, maybe he does it once in a while or maybe everyday, I just feel totally left in the dark. He has an addictive/party personality and many of his friends dip so that doesn’t help. I know I’m right and that dipping is bad, but I also feel like a crazy person for feeling like this. I want him to stop for his health but I’m getting caught on the lying aspect. I have so many thoughts right now and I am so glad I found this forum, I googled for info on tobacco addiction and this is where it led me 🙂

Jessica Spires
Jessica Spires
3 years ago
Reply to  Amelia

I’ve been fighting this same battle for years. Who knows how many times I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt and quit asking only to catch him in lies time after time. I’ve cried, begged, pleaded, told him he had to choose between that or his family (I know this was totally wrong), given him the silent treatment and also tried to be helpful by providing things for him to do instead. He tells me it’s “not very often” or gets mad when I bring it up. The constant lies is killing us. I know he could be doing much worse and he’s a good husband. I just don’t feel like we matter enough to make him stop. Just know you aren’t alone and being in our position sucks!!

Austin
Austin
3 years ago
Reply to  Jessica Spires

Y’all all say y’all hate the lying but do y’all ever think about how the other side feels you think we want to hide it from y’all!? No we don’t when we are hiding it we are ashamed we feel weak but we are addicted to it we can’t get away from it and that tears us apart we feel like we are letting our other half down when we do it but we can’t help it! Then when we are honest with y’all about it y’all attack us when we say we need the help quitting y’all say it’s not my addiction it’s yours you should handle it yourself. Y’all don’t think of how hard it is on us! We hate the mood swings quitting and you know what we hate even more than that!? Taking it out on our significant other so when we notice that we turn right back to it because we hate putting y’all through that! Instead of complaining about the lying look at yourself first and ask him is there anything I can do to help you? Instead of freaking out about that slip up say it’s okay babe you made it 5 more days than last time!!

Daisymay
Daisymay
3 years ago
Reply to  Amelia

I feel so much the same. It feels like cheating and lying. My husband hides it. He told me not to bring it up and he would find a solution. That was over a year ago. Recently his friend mentioned something he was trying to get him to use to help stop. It set me in a spin of panic and anxiety. I’m so grossed out by it and I hare that he’s doing something on purpose that so affects his health. I’m just repulsed and trying to figure out how to calm and not use shame with him. I am worried that because he’s hiding it that he’s often on withdrawal and that may be causing his snappiness and just overall irritability. I’m just tired. Tired of feeling lied to and tired of how mean he can be with his words. If anyone has felt the same i sure could use the support. Just shaking.

Lindsey
Lindsey
3 years ago
Reply to  Daisymay

I am so thankful I started reading these posts today. My husband has been dipping for a very long time. He is moody and snappy without it and because I don’t want him doing it in front of the kids he often has a Nicorette lozenge in his mouth. For years he sort of kept it to himself which meant he’d be up later than me for hours. Recently he started coming to bed earlier but now he’s dipping in bed. I am obviously grossed out but also resentful of the fact that I feel like I either need to put up with it or be the bad guy and tell him he can’t do it in bed. As bad habits go I realize this is far from
the worst thing he could be doing that doesn’t make it right.

Katie Harchalk
Katie Harchalk
3 years ago
Reply to  Amelia

I couldn’t have said it better!

Becca
Becca
3 years ago
Reply to  Amelia

Just found this site and it is good to know there are other significant others in the same boat as me. This sounds like me and my husband. He quit (so I thought) when I quit smoking in early 2008. About a year ago I found an empty can in his nightstand and he has been doing it on and off (not sure how much) since. I periodically find cans (he is not good at hiding them) and if I approach him, he will lie and/or it will end in an argument. I am also in healthcare and I worry about his health. He also has an addictive personality and drinks way too much at times for my liking. 🙁 I am trying to be supportive but it can be hard. Also glad I found this forum as sometimes not sure what to do… He also started chewing Nicorette gum when he quit chewing and became addicted to that which is also probably not good. But I would rather have him doing that, I think… So now, it seems he does both. Sometimes it feels like I am not worth it. 🙁

Kate
Kate
3 years ago
Reply to  Amelia

I feel the same way. When my husband and I started dating about two weeks into our relationship I told him chewing was a deal breaker for me. I find it so disgusting and I could not kiss or be in a physical relationship with someone who dips. He told me had chewed in the army but had quit when he got out. Twice I saw him use chew with friends and it resulted in huge fights. Fast forward three years we got married in January If this year. In June our dog got into the trash in his room and found a bottle full of spit. I about threw up. I asked if he was chewing and he said yes and had been secretly since March. In talking with some of our friends for support it has come out that he has been sneaking chew this whole time. He says he wants to quit but I am starting to not believe that either I think he just knows it’s what I want to hear. We aren’t sleeping in the same bed and have not kissed or been intimate since the beginning of June because the habit still is so disgusting and revolting to me. It definitely feels really lonely and helpless. I work with people overcoming substance use and it’s been so hard because I know how bad it is, I know he won’t quit till he wants and I know what I am supposed to say and I just feel so lonely, lied to and tricked.

Kimberly Meyers
Kimberly Meyers
3 years ago

My husband and I have been married for almost 16 years. He has an addictive personality. Chewing tobacco is one of his addictions. He has quit between 5 and 7 times. I can’t keep count. It’s been at least 4 years he hasn’t chewed. This morning I discovered he started again. The thing that is so hard for me is he hides it from me. I have always found it. Sometimes he has denied and said it was from last time and completely lies to my face. Last time he quit, he didn’t tell me until afterwards that he was getting sores in his mouth. He has a very stressful and prominent job at a children’s hospital. And he is in school. He drinks to cope with how stressed he is.

I truly do not believe I nag him. I certainly do not tell him to quit (he does not like to be told what to do). My problem is every time he goes back to chewing and hides/lies about it makes it so much harder for me to forgive and be supportive. Each time feels worse than the time before. I HATE being lied to. I get he’s embarrassed but he knows how much I hate the lying and deceit. We have a great marriage. He’s a good dad and works his butt off. But he always struggles with substance abuse in the form of beer, chew, and liquor. How do I support and love him when I am so angry?

Becca
Becca
3 years ago

I would like to know answers to these too. Sounds like my relationship too.?

Lin
Lin
4 years ago

Hey all, I joined this thread last year when my partner was still chewing and hiding it after, and me begging him to stop and it almost destroying us. I wanted to update you all on our situation. I don’t know how many days or months it’s been now, but he finally quit and life is so much calmer and cleaner for us. I just want to add that my husband can be VERY STUBBORN so it’s been super, super tough at times. He chewed for over 20 years, so I totally understand what it’s like to live with somebody addicted to chew and although it is stressful and unpleasant, I honestly can’t believe we are where we are today. Everyone has a different journey and a different way of dealing with it, and I have read so many cases where “it doesn’t help to nag your partner” – and I’m not here to say it’s right or wrong to do that, but this is what I did and it seems to have helped us…

I went to great lengths to do a lot of research into how bad chew is for the body and the mind, and I put this research in front of him (without force) and urged him to talk to me about his addiction and how we can tackle it as a couple to help him stop and to also become healthier. By no means was it easy for either of us, it took some serious chats about what I want in the future and I told him I wasn’t afraid to leave him if it really came down to that. I didn’t threaten him or give him any strict ultimatum, I just had to be honest with him and I think he respected that. I also started doing more to help support his health, I booked dentist appointments to get his teeth and gums checked and cleaned, and he had a full medical check just before he had a surgery last fall. All was fine thank god. I feel he has finally realised that having a life and family with me meant changing a few things in his life to make our life and future together a healthy and happy one.

I used to get so upset when he would chew, leave his spit bottles for me to find around the house, and then eventually hide the chew and pretend new empty cans were old ones. He tried to lie about it but I think he ended up resenting himself for lying to me, he knew I knew so there was little point in being dishonest.

For some time he stopped chewing and started vaping, which to me seemed no better, but I had to let him go through this, but I did my research again, offered him some case studies and once he realised that vaping was dangerous as well, he finally stopped that too after a couple of long, long months. This was the time when various vape stores were closing and people were becoming sick from vaping, so I think that information helped him to realise and finally stop.

I have always offered my support with open communication. Every time I felt he was not being honest with me I called him out on it. Again, that might be difficult for some people to do, you might be afraid to mention it because you know he will flip out. I went through that too, but I had to stay strong and stand my ground, and to remind him that I am on his side.

Life is so much better for us now. I don’t feel anxious or disappointed all the time, he seems so much calmer, his teeth are clean, no more bad breath, he’s not spending hundreds of dollars on chew anymore (here in Canada it’s WAY more expensive than in the States) and we are expecting our first child in the fall.

I told my partner that I was part of this kill the can community and invited him to join but he didn’t want to. He still has many friends who chew, and I am sure he misses it sometimes but something inside him has shifted. His mind seems clearer and he understands the negative impact chew has on a person’s short and long term health, and on our life together.

To those of you still working through this addiction with your partner, I wish you all the strength in the world! ❤️

Alicia
Alicia
3 years ago
Reply to  Lin

Thank you for sharing your story of success in supporting your husband’s journey. I appreciate any feedback.

I am also focusing on not nagging which pretty much means I don’t say anything to him anymore. We’ve had too many fights. And even when I show genuine concern I hear all the excuses “I don’t want to chew” “I can’t quit ..” etc.

On occasion I will email him inspiring Hall of Fame speeches. He doesn’t respond. Maybe I should focus on sending him the stats and facts. Regardless it’s his decision.

It’s his health. We have two young children but that doesn’t matter to him.

I mostly struggle with the huge WASTE of money it is. We can’t pay our bills every month but he still buys dip. Now that is messed up.

I keep praying for a nicotine free husband one day. Anyway, your story gives me hope.

Daisymay
Daisymay
3 years ago
Reply to  Lin

Would you be willing to share the research you shared with him?

Susan
Susan
4 years ago

I am a wife of a dipper. My husband has dipped for about 6 years now. When he started dipping, he hid it for about a month before he finally fessed to me that he had taken up dipping with no discussion between us. There is NO intimacy between him and I and that is very painful for me, because physical.touch is my love language. His dipping REPULSES me and I don’t want to kiss him any more than a peck because on top of him dipping….he does NOT do any oral hygiene! I have told him that his dipping is killing our intimacy. And the lies!! Oh, the lies!! Not 3 weeks ago, he claimed that he was on his last can and that he had been on it for 4 days. I was cautiously optimistic, only to have my hopes slammed face down on the floor….because guess what?? He lies to me ONCE AGAIN! I am really at my wit’s end because I can’t out up with the lying anymore….and yes, I have tried to be supportive of his claims that he’s quitting….but like the story of the boy who cried wolf, I don’t know what to believe anymore. I have shut myself off from him and pulled myself away from him because this was NOT the man that I married!

TH
TH
4 years ago
Reply to  Susan

Same problem I have, mine drinks as well. I want to be supportive but it is repulsive.

Taylor Perry
Taylor Perry
4 years ago

Hi,
I’m new to the site but need advice. My fiance has been chewing tobacco for 10 years but decided to quit 2 years ago. He was good for about 8 months before the first relapse. I found a tin in his bag and questioned him about it. He admitted everything to me and i forgave him after a short time. He swore to me he would quit again and kept that promise for 4 months. The next relapse came hard. He was out for the night visiting some friends from college. I could tell his demeanor was off just from how he was talking to me. He blew up asking “why can’t i accept this one flaw.” We were finally able to talk this one out and made up a plan. I told him to be honest with me and stop the lying, to admit he relapsed or was having urges and to use me as support. This was working up until this Wednesday when he was traveling to VA with his family. Everything was great up until he sent me a picture that included a spit bottle. I really really hoped it wasn’t what I thought but I had to ask. He lied twice reassuring me he was good. Until i asked a third time and the truth came pouring out. He swears he will quit again and i want to believe him because i can’t imagine my life without him. But how can i get myself to trust him again? the constant lying is killing me. All advice welcome. We are set to get married 10/2/2021.

Stephen
Stephen
4 years ago
Reply to  Taylor Perry

I was in the same shoes as your Fiance. Quitting is extremely hard. If he is around people that dip then it is 10 times as hard. It sounds like his friends from college and maybe his family dip, which leads him to do it also. But the main reason he hasn’t quit is because he is not ready. Step number 2, he has to quit for himself for it to work. I quit for just over a year before I had a relapse, telling myself I will just dip 1 can then stop. It has been 3 years later and I finally convinced myself to quit again. This time I am doing it because I want to, I am done with it. I am also bringing my wife along with me for the ride. She is understanding and patient.

Bear with him. He will quit when he is ready. You don’t need to support his bad habit, my wife was always disgusted by it. Just realize his quit won’t work until he is truly ready for it to.

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  Stephen

Spot On Stephen.
You’re exactly right, the dipper has to want it, not the other way around.

Alicia
Alicia
4 years ago
Reply to  Taylor Perry

If you marry an addict who is not free from nicotine BEFORE you get married, he will bring it into the marriage. Accept the unpredictable and uncontrollable ride of addiction, or put a hold on your wedding until he’s really serious about quitting.

My husband wanted to quit smoking before we got married. Here we are 12 years later. He quit smoking but he chews tobacco daily so nicotine is still very alive and active every single day. I love my husband and pray for his freedom daily but I hate nicotine with a passion.

I probably would have put a hold on our engagement had I known the stress it was going to bring on me as a wife. But I chose to marry him and I don’t believe in divorce because I said “for better or for worse” so I stay and pray and will fight in prayer for the day my husband smiles and functions without a chemical helping him get through the day.

Nicotine is a powerful drug and so addictive. I hate it and the damage it causes to so many.

Zachary
Zachary
4 years ago
Reply to  Taylor Perry

Yeah…..hope he doesn’t marry you. Why would he need you to forgive him? It’s his addiction. Not yours. If you don’t like it get the hell out. He’s lying to you because you are overbearing and probably flip the hell out when he starts again. He should be able to trust you and confide in you when he slips. I tell my girlfriend no problem and SHE would never get mad or repulsed or disgusted. Please don’t get married. You’re not marriage material.

LAUREN
LAUREN
2 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

Of course he’s not– he sounds EXACTLY like my husband. When we started dating he didn’t dip. At all. Period. NOTHING. No smoking, no vaping. I believe friends at work created this monster for me. His teeth are literally rotting out of his head. We have two young daughters who it hurts just as much. Our youngest found a can and came to me crying. I should also say that his father died of cancer. I have asked him to leave, but he refuses. We try not to argue in front of the girls– so if I pack up and go see an attorney the girls scream and cry and beg us not to do this. But at some point I have to be whole and happy in order to be the best mother i can be for my children. We both come from broken families and have been married 13 years… i don’t want to split our family, but this is intolerable. I want to leave, but dont want to put my kids through this… I’m to the point of wanting to just live as roommates and just find someone else. I mean, i know that’s horrible to say, but he chose this life. If he had been dipping when we met then it would’ve never gone anywhere. I literally hate him at this point, because its been steady lies and money wasting for 5 years now. times when we could barely make it to the next paycheck, you better believe he was making sure his habit was fed. I have no desire to even look at him. He makes me want to throw up to even look at his face at this point. I am so angry. How do you just lie to someone like that. Zero conscience whatsoever. I tell him to keep his hands off me, I don’t sleep in the same bed with him, there is zero intimacy. And the saddest part is, it never had to even be an issue. HE chose this, and then thinks I’m going to stick around and he loves to turn it around on me and act like HOW DARE I NOT BELIVE HIM…. you’re a liar. You are literally lying to my face continuously. Why would any man think their wife/ significant other would want to be so disrespected. I have never lied to my spouse, and if i OUT OF NOWHERE decided to pick up a habit that i KNEW would be the damn nail in the coffin — one time of him saying this is it would be all it took. I mean, how do you carry on with a healthy happy marriage after this…quite simply, it disgusts me. I miss intimacy, but i am literally turned all the way off. Its filthy. Which makes me feel like, he thinks that’s all i deserve…that i could march right out and do better. I’ve considered cheating, which makes me so sad and i feel like a terrible person about, but this isnt “better or worse” you don’t create “worse” and then see if you can literally DRIVE YOUR SPOUSE TO PURE INSANITY. The children are the only reason I’m still there. Because i literally hate his guts, and am miserable.

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  Zachary

People should DEFINITELY ask for forgiveness when they give people their word/promises and then turn around and break them. That’s actually the part about this whole thing that’s not “marriage material”. If you can’t trust your spouse not to do what they say they will do, what’s the point? You seem like you have some growing up to do. And trust me, your girlfriend is disgusted. Especially when you kiss her.

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

This is a Dead Horse….

The addict must have the “want” to quit or they won’t. It’s not about feelings. It’s not about the marriage, the kids or the promises.
If the addict doesn’t “want” to quit, they simply won’t. It really is that simple.
I feel strongly that if a habit was missed or hidden during the dating process, then, somehow, managed to make it into the marriage process then, pehaps a spouse didn’t do a good job vetting before the Big Day. Even worse, is the spouse who “thought” they could make the addict change…again, if they don’t “want” it, then it isn’t happening.
Lastly, if a spouse picked up this habit (or any habit), years after starting your life together, that might be a different story. A habit
also could be the result of what’s being acceptable in your life together. And if it’s something that’s not acceptable between you, then perhaps it’s time for a “day of reckoning” conversation.
If there is no impass then maybe you go your separate ways
Hugs-
-JP

Mike
Mike
3 years ago
Reply to  Zachary

Zachary, you are an ass hole!! Narcissistic jerk!! Typical addict!

Athena Anderson
Athena Anderson
4 years ago

Hello be I’m new here. My husband has been chewing for about 20 years. I am trying very hard to be supportive but he has tried so many times before and started back up again. He will lie to me when I find his stash and I just don’t have it in me anymore to care.i know that sounds hateful but when you’ve been lied to all the time it wears on you.I told him he needs to see a counselor to help him quit and he has to want to quit for himself or it just won’t work.He tells me he is going to quit this time and says He feels like bi don’t support him enough and if I don’t support him he can’t do it. Is it selfish of me to tell him he has to be responsible to take the first step. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Athena Anderson
Athena Anderson
4 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thanks Chewie for removing my email. My husband has been on day 31. It has been hell on us. I am sure it has been double hell for him. Is it supposed to be this bad? because if it’s the norm I will try to be more supportive. I need tips please anything. Tips for when the mood swings and obtuseness wont quit.. That is the worst part. That and the hurtful things that cause me to be hurtful back. My soul is just broken .. seeing what the withdrawls do. to him he has changed so much. I hate what this drug has done to him.

Athena Anderson
Athena Anderson
4 years ago

I know my husband has some numbers of people from here. Are their any spouses who would be willing to exchange numbers with me. I could really use some advise on how to help my husband.

CMil
CMil
4 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband is trying to quit dip and is telling me that I am not helping him. I ask every day how he is doing that day and send supportive messages, but I get extremely triggered if I find a can in the house. He always says they are old, then blames my doubt for him not being able to quit or for buying another can. He says that I need to go to counseling for how to help me. I don’t want to think that I am the issue here. Can anyone who has been in a relationship with someone who has quit or a quitter themself share with me the best ways your spouse or significant other helped?

I come from a family that has addiction and I have seen it kill loved ones. It is the absolute worst thing in the world, and I know that I get triggered when I am around it. My husband and I dated for 8 years but never lived together…so he was able to hide his addiction from me. We just got married and are already being put to test because I am realizing how addicted he really. Any help is appreciated. I know I can’t force him to quit, but I need advice on how to handle what he is going through or how to help. Thank you!

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  CMil

Best advice I can give, to understand this doesn’t have anything to do with “you” or “your” relationship. It has everything to do with him.
Simply put, he isn’t going to quit for you. If you think he will, you’re in for a lot of disappointment. Addiction is everything about the addict. It’s selfish to say, but it is.
I dipped for dam near 30 years. Yes, my girlfriend/Fiance/wife knew I did…but I guess I was lucky to have a supportive person come into my life. Not once was our relationship about an ultimatum. I was never told “me or the can”. Even after children became part of our life. What happened, is I decided I wanted to quit the addiction. The most selfish thing I ever did, was quitting my Nicotine addiction. Nope, it wasn’t for my children, wasn’t for my very supportive wife, or even my family….nope, I did it for me.
If your husband isn’t ready to quit for himself, then everything (even with good intentions) you throw at him regarding his addiction, will be viewed as unhelpful. Unfortunately, this is what addiction is built around, selfishness.
The only advice I can give, is to be as supportive of his decisions as possible. Because if you Force him or throw an ultimatum at him, he’ll resent you over it.
Basically, what I’m saying is, he’ll quit when he’s ready, otherwise, it’ll be a quit surrounded by resentment and possibly lies….since he’ll probably continue it behind your back.
I have told wives on here in the past, if it bothers you entirely too much, you might want to look at what made you fall in love with him and focus on that. Or, pull stakes and move on.
Again, this is the opinion of someone who was addicted to this junk for almost 30 years. I am not sympathyzing with your husband’s addiction, I’m simply giving you a view from the other side.
Good luck and stay strong
-JP
Clean since 07-15-14

David
David
4 years ago
Reply to  CMil

I dipped for 40 years almost continuously. You shouldn’t be triggered. You have to realize that for him to be successful he has to quit for himself and no amount of you bringing it up to him or finding cans around the house are going to matter. If he’s quitting for you, he will fail. The BEST BEST BEST thing you can do for him to support his quitting is to send him to this site as well as the KTC forums. Honestly, until I read these comments on this very section of the site, I never knew how my wife actually felt about my dipping. I never knew how thoroughly disgusted she was by it. Once I read that, that was it for me. Different people will find different motivators but he has to want it. I can’t stress that enough. Now with that being said, you also have to figure out what is right for you and whether or not you can live with his tobacco use if he decides he doesn’t want it badly enough to quit for himself.

Hope it all works out for you.

Alicia
Alicia
4 years ago
Reply to  David

Is it really the best thing to send our husbands to this site? I’ve sent my husband the link a couple times. Should I keep sending him links? I think he’d relate to the Hall of Fame Speeches for sure. I know he has to want to quit for himself so does it seem like nagging to keep sending him links here?

Maggie
Maggie
4 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Zyn? My husband is trying to quit again and seems to think Zyn is the answer. I’m skeptical to say the least. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

DDD
DDD
4 years ago

Day 304 of my Quit.

I’ve been reading a lot of your stories and got a different perspective on the subject of nicotine addiction.
I dipped for 25 years or more and while I was doing it, i did not see it as an addiction, but more like part of my personality. I thought I could quit anytime i wanted to, but i did not want to. I was married for a few years, but she never said much about it. Some of my friends dipped, most of them didn’t, but they never judged me either. I had pretty much a free rein to destroy my health without anyone pointing it out.
By reading your stories, I can feel your frustration to see someone you care about destroying themselves. I never truly had a chance to see the pain my addiction caused on others. I had a couple of girlfriends that were disgusted with my dipping, but ironically were heavy smokers themselves and would not quit either. Needles to say I did not keep them for long.
Others were supportive and yet others I kept it a secret from them, I would get caught and be embarrassed and shamed, but not even that could make me stop. The addiction is very powerful because not only does it destroy your health, but it also becomes intertwined in the very fabric of your being, this poison is carefully designed to get a hold of you physically and mentally. In extreme cases, us addicts will chose it over much more important things in life.
What I am trying to say is that the person has to be ready to quit on his or her own, nothing else can make them quit. If you read other threads and posts of this site, you will read that one common fact.
The reason why all of us are getting rid of this habit is because we reached a point when we said enough is enough. It is sad that for some of us it takes a very long time to realize it.
I hope that your significant others reach that point before it is too late.

DDD

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago

This is going to sound VERY harsh and be very long, but I am extremely angry and need to vent about my husband, the dip addict.

I’ve been married for 14 years to someone who dips. He was using it before he met me. I met him when I was 19, him 23, and we were both in the Army. It didn’t bother me then since basically every soldier I knew used tobacco. I smoked and we both drank. I quit smoking about 11 years ago, quit drinking 5 years ago. This was mostly just a side effect of growing up and wanting better for my health and general well being. Not to mention my family.

My husband has no interest in stopping with the tobacco. It now physically revolts me. I see it in his teeth, his mouth, all over his car, his bed….I have to clean it off the back of the toilet, the sinks, the shower, and the floors. I see his nasty spit bottle hiding all over the place. I feel like dry heaving every time I smell it. He wants to kiss me and perform oral sex and all I can think about is how gross his mouth is and pieces of dip getting on me. I have French kissed him and got some in my mouth before.

I am turned off by him because of all this and cannot fully enjoy sex. His teeth and gums are disgusting and look dirty, no matter how many times he brushes them. His teeth look like they are physically disintegrating. They are tiny and ragged. He has a poor sense of taste and dumps way too much salt on to everything. His breath smells.

It’s a terrible addiction. It’s made him into a liar. A moody, emotionally volatile person who hides things and lies to people he loves. My main problem is that I can no longer respect the type of person who behaves this way. Not after all the work I have put into myself. I know this isn’t fair, and I know that I am also not perfect. But I really feel bitter and disappointed that I am married to someone who is not strong enough to attempt to overcome this after seeing the obvious, numerous, serious negative affects.

If he doesn’t quit, I will probably divorce him after my kids leave home.

It might sound harsh, but I’ve tried every avenue and role out there. From extremely supportive and loving to straight up aggressive to flat out ignoring it and putting the ball in his court. Nothing affects him. I feel like he would throw away his entire family for it, maybe even be homeless.

It might be different if he was showing some sort of effort. But he basically just lies about it and does it behind my back like a twelve year old. He hides it more out of his own shame than my opinion of him or any wrath I could bring. He is a smart man and understands how stupid it is, he just doesn’t care because he gets to taste it. It’s his one true love.

I must emphasize again that I can’t respect or trust someone who behaves this way around their spouse. Those two things (respect, trust) are fundamental cornerstones of marriage that I do not, and have never had.

Since he lies about the dip all the time, I have no idea what else he thinks he is entitled to lie about.

I’m angry that he has taken the experience of a good marriage from me. I want to fully love a man during my lifetime. I have A LOT to give to someone who I can trust and respect as a true partner. My personality is sensual, sexually intense and very loyal. But after many years being married to him, now I have a “headache” basically every night. I’m losing out on that connection too, not just him. Then he just acts even more moody because we don’t have sex, yet remains completely aloof that this is entirely in his control. I get blamed and treated like crap.

I personally, very intimately understand what addiction can do to a person and have wrestled some very large, nasty demons of my own. I have no respect for someone who won’t even try to fight and just submits to it when they have the knowledge and resources to help themselves. I just can’t anymore. I feel horrible about it but I can’t change it. He is so willing to throw our marriage under the bus for it so why should I really care though? I’m sick of being walked all over and playing second string to a plant. I have to think about my life also, right?

How long should you let someone lie and treat you like that? How long can you look past the addiction to the real person and have hope? How long until the addiction becomes the real person?

He has asked my own children to lie to me when they see him dip. Teaching them to be exactly like him, that lying to someone who loves you is totally OK as long as you benefit from it.

Luckily he has life insurance and I have a good job to support myself and my kids, because it’s only a matter of time before he keels over from the 6+ cans of soda a day and all that tobacco. He is 38 years old and has been like that since he was a teenager. What a shame. What a waste of a good man.

If he gets diagnosed with some form of mouth cancer any time soon I swear I will deck him right in his face and leave him to rot right from the doctors office. Just like he has decided to leave me by continually pursuing a definite avenue to shorten his life significantly. All I see are years and years and years alone every time I see that bump in his mouth. I guess instant gratification is more important to him than that.

Emily
Emily
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

I’m right there with you. I’ve been on this site before and my husband went through quitting and I supported him and did everything I was supposed to do. Now 15 years into our marriage he is still dipping and lying. He does all the same things you said your husband does. He went on Wellbutrin to quit and was on it for a year and from my knowledge had quit but was still experiencing mood swings. I was doing ALOT of research trying to find out what was wrong with him. He went through the full year of quitting (or so I thought) and his mood swings still weren’t any better. He’s been going to a therapist to get a mood stabilizer because he didn’t tell his therapist that he was dipping so he thought he was bipolar. Now that I find out he has been dipping off and on for over a year I feel like such an idiot. After supporting him for this long doing everything for him (taking the stress off of him) I have medical problems. It isn’t worth the pain and I want out. I completely feel what you are going through and I pry you find happiness and peace you deserve it.

athena
athena
4 years ago
Reply to  Emily

Emily,
I am so sorry your husband sounds like mine. And it is no picnic. What are mood stablizers?
I think my husband could use those.

OneToughMomma
OneToughMomma
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

I have all of these feelings. And it saddens me. Literally physically makes me sick, but saddens me so so so much as his wife of 14 years. I have anxiety at the thought of something happening and being left with four children.

Megan
Megan
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

This makes me want to cry reading this, as I’m in the exact same boat. I’ve been married to my husband for 16 years and I’ve had to deal with every kind of addiction there is by his side. I’m not one for divorce but I feel like he tells me what I want to hear so he can continue to dip. He also use Kratom bc he “needs it”. He said as soon as he got an rx for adderall he would stop kratom, well now he’s Addicted to that too. He said he would start dipping to help ease him off cigarettes. It did and now he dips way more than he ever smoked. His nasty bottles are all over the house, we never kiss bc it’s always in his mouth, and I don’t want to be intimate either bc I’m repulsed by it. It depresses me so bad!

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  Megan

Honestly, I’m sick of reading about the men on here protecting and being defensive about their addictions. Asking to be treated like children, truly. “Can’t stop until we are ready!” So….you’re saying you’re not ready to respect your family and yourself and do the right thing?” Cool. All I have to say to that is, MAN UP.

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

Again Samantha, you don’t get it. Addiction isn’t about “respecting your family or self” it’s a dam sickness.
I’m not here making excuses for any addict. But I can offer advice to spouses dealing with an addicted Husband, since I was both, an addict AND a husband. My suspicion, based on your post, is, you don’t have a or never have had, an addiction to nicotine. So you don’t really understand what the addict is dealing with. To you, it’s probably like some eating their favorite candy bar. That it’s a “treat”. It’s not Samantha.
Unfortunately, his addiction is just part of his life…just like YOU and just like the kids.
So, I say to you, if you’re so “sick of reading” THE TRUTH, then stop coming out here and sobbing up and down this board.. It’s not helping anyone. “MAN UP” is your advice? Good Lord I’m glad you’re not my partner….I’d probably dip forever. Whether you realize it or not, your negative attitude, only strengthens his addiction.
Take my advice as garbage or fuel, it’s up to you. I quit for MYSELF. Not for the kids or wife, for MYSELF. I’m not making excuses for your husband, but I dam well know what he’s facing with his addiction. I know all your nagging will not help him. I know your use of kids as leverage, also, does NOT help him. I guess if anything, this page gives you a platform to blow off some steam. You absolutely have the right to not agree with his addiction, to even HATE it. It’s ugly.
But I don’t appreciate being told you’re tired of us ex addicts covering for another addict. We’re not. You just don’t truly understand your husband’s addiction and what he’s up against. It isn’t about you

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

You’re wrong. If you had read my initial comment you would have seen that I have battled with addiction. Multiple times. I’ve been in the shameful, disgusting depths of it, and I clawed my way out, barely alive. Now, I no longer have the patience for the selfishness, the self-indulgence, or the self-centered bullshit of addicts. Not after going through the hell I did. Especially not a tobacco addict who makes ridiculous excuses about how they can’t control themselves. I know you protect it like a lover, like a child, like a piece of your heart. You let it possess you. I know you find comfort and happiness there. Be strong enough to let it go for the sake of those you claim that you love. That is what I mean by “MAN UP”. Put others before your own longings and comfort.

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

Then you can full appreciate the battle it is to quit.
I also understand (and you should too) that perhaps your husband does not “want” to quit. There are two major components to a quit in my experience (actually 3, but the 2 bring you to 3).
First, which we’ve discussed here, the pure hell an addition is, the mental and physical parts. The actual addiction, which you fight everyday and count the little victories you make every minute of the day. Which to me, is the “MAN UP” equation of a quit.
Two, there is the “WANT” to be free, the wanting to quit. This to me is what myself battled with for years. To be frank, I LOVED dipping. I was good at it, liked the comfort it aided me during stress, the relaxation it gave me when I wanted to kick back, the motivation it gave me as I worked on things (at work or home) the camaraderie with the guys, my teammates, coworkers, golfing, fishing…..and that it was something that aided my morning with my caffeine.
I didn’t “want” to quit. Maybe I thought about it, but wasn’t willing to “want it” bad enough. It’s my opinion, this, is most likely where many people with addictions are at. They would like to be free, but don’t seriously “want” it. If you don’t want to quit, then you won’t.
3 is the reinforcement of 2 every day, while you deal with 1. Where do you find that? Right Here. With people dealing with the same shit.
At the gym or on a run, working out frustration. Maybe some prayer if you’re a spiritual person. Finding alternatives, like seeds and gum and fake dips that contain NO nicotine. Using tools to reinforce your quit, everyday.
But back to our subject, if he doesn’t want it, it won’t happen. I am not making excuses for him, but I definitely can relate to his stubbornness. I didn’t want to quit. I did quit one time, for 6 month. But I didn’t want it bad enough to beat off temptation and I failed. It took me 15 more years to come to that “T” in the road again. And I have been 5 years free, mostly, because I never want to go through that hell of getting free again. Not to mention, I’d be a dam FOOL to ever look back now.
I can appreciate you understanding the pure hell of addiction, we both know the hell it is to get away.
But you know you have to want to quit. If you don’t, when the shit starts hitting the fan (withdraws, weight gain, anxiety, depression, irritability) you will RUN back to your temple of peace.
I hope you understand what I’m trying to say here and it’s not intended to be for argumentative reasons.
I also hope your loved one can find the want to rid his demons.

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

See, those things you mention are just reasons you like it; it’s nice, it’s comforting, it’s something to do, it makes you feel good, etc, etc. I don’t understand how someone can look straight into a marriage they are destroying and prioritize those things. Especially since it’s not life or death, it’s just UNCOMFORTABLE to quit.

It’s not about what he WANTS. It’s about what needs to be done and him having the courage to do it. His weakness disgusts me.

Yes, this forum is a way for me to vent. But more than that, maybe it can give some insight into the feelings your spouses are dealing with when they look at you cradling and defending your precious addiction like a shiny little gem. It truly hurts those that love you, and because of that, your whole book of excuses is just dumb.

Especially for some of you that have wives who have birthed children for you. “Oh, I’ll go through some withdrawal headaches and maybe some anxiety for a temporary period of time because I’m breaking a strong habit. It’s too scary, it’s too much!” And she’s sitting there…”Ok, I just went through 9 months of physical torture and feel like I ripped my entire womb inside out to deliver your baby but cool, a migraine is too much for you, got it.”

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

But it IS about what he wants or HE wouldn’t still be doing it.
You seem to still think his addiction is about you, your kids, the body you gave birth with, your marriage, etc, etc, etc.
It isn’t you, it’s about HIM.

Riding his ass like a rented mule (like you’re displaying here, with me) will only strengthen his addiction. Or, maybe he’ll quit & just do it behind your back, that way your feelings can be spared. Of course his “quit” would be predicated on a lie….and we’re back to the “You, me, I & my” stuff again.

I honestly don’t think you understand a smokeless tobacco addiction if you thinking the things I’ve outlined are just things “I like”. No Ma’am, it takes over EVERY facet of your life. And for someone to say silly things like “man up, it’s just reasons you like it, he should give it up for me” really doesn’t understand. I feel sorry for you…and him.
Your problems seem to run deeper than just wanting your spouse to quit a smokeless tobacco addiction, that by the way, is a very, real, addiction.

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

You seem to be inputting a lot of you personal feelings into our situation. While I appreciate your perspective, you are incorrect about a lot of it. An addiction is about both you AND your loved ones, since they are greatly affected. The related problem is that some addicts place more value over the comforts of their addiction than their loved ones, and that is the area I am most concerned with here.

Also, again, read the original post. I’m not riding him at all 😉

However, it is interesting that you consider someone debating something with you and not agreeing with you to be “riding your ass” though.

You also seem to be completely ignoring the fact that I said I smoked also, so yes, I know tobacco addiction is a real thing. Anything else you care to mansplain to me today, Jay?

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

I’ve tried to dumb-it-down for you the best I can, next step is to break out the crayons for kindergarten flow-charts. ?
I’m feeling less sorry for you and more sorry for your husband, poor guy. He most likely needs some stress relief from the constant and relentless badgering in his home life. Congratulations, you’ve strengthen his addiction!
Look up “Empathy” in the dictionary, your poor husband could use some.
Was that “mansplained” enough?

DDD
DDD
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

Samantha, congratulations on your quit, may I ask how long have you been quit and what was the reason that made you quit?

samantha
samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

I have not smoked in about 8 or 9 years. The thing that finally got me to quit was being worried about my health as a new mother, and how it would affect my children to always have smoke in their environment. If I only tried to quit for myself, frankly, I would not have even cared. The kids were the thing that did it for me, especially when they were little and were always near me, having to smell it. Also, it disgusted me to be a slave to something so disgusting. I tried to look at it the whole situation as objectively as I could. There was nothing positive I was getting from it at all, so it had to go. It was hard mentally and physically, especially for about 2 or 3 weeks, but now I don’t even think about wanting cigarettes.

DDD
DDD
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

I see, I am so proud of you for quitting for your kids. We can act very selfish especially when it comes to addictions. If I may ask, and you may have already said this, but how many cigarettes did you use to smoke? also did you dip as well?

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

Thank you. I smoked around a pack a day. I have tried dip once or twice but never used it regularly.

DDD
DDD
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

Wow, that is a lot of tobacco intake, Did you know that the nicotine in one can of snuff is equal to 4 packs of cigarettes?. Neither way of consuming tobacco is acceptable though, whether it’s a little or a lot. I am, however, glad that you are here venting your frustration. It shows you still care about your family and as a mom, you are willing to put their needs first.

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

No, I did not. I wonder if many people who use dip know this. That’s very helpful info, thank you.

DDD
DDD
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

You are welcome, there is a lot of medical information and some psychological studies on the Internet. The point is that quitting is very hard to do, imagine yourself when you went through your quit. Now imagine yourself having to go through those times at a higher exponential force of resistance, in this case quadrupled. This is what a typical dipper has to go through. It is very easy to get into, and as you know it is very hard to get out. I hope that helps you.
Sincerely
DDD
Day 416

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

I get it, I truly do. It’s hard, it almost seems impossible to be starting at day 1. My perspective still stands, especially after going through fighting other things AFTER the tobacco, which almost pushed me to the limit of what I could handle physically and mentally. Point is, I made it through. It’s doable. I simply can’t respect someone that won’t fight like that for their family. It’s my truth, and I needed to get it out there. I hope it might help someone in any way, as harsh and cold as it sounds, and regardless of any buttons it will push.

Anyways, congratulations on your victory of 416 days, it’s quite an accomplishment.

DDD
DDD
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

Thank you, it hasn’t been easy, but i just knew I had enough. I am looking forward to completing another year and keep going. Let me ask you something, I’ve asked other older brothers in here if they still have craves to chew when they see other people dipping in front of them and they say no. How about you? After 9 years do you still crave a cigarette if you see people smoking?

Samantha
Samantha
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

Maybe once a year or so I will catch a whiff on the air, just a faint one, and it will take me back in my mind to some good memories I had around smoking. But I have not craved a cigarette in many years. It probably took about a year or two to fully get over the cravings. Now, I could sit right next to a smoker and not want one. I actually get grossed out by it at this point.

DDD
DDD
4 years ago
Reply to  DDD

I see, so it is more like a memory than a crave? That is what the guys that been quit for a long time in here say.

Kathleen Weigand
Kathleen Weigand
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

Agreed. Divorcing my husband not because of the addiction, but because of the lying about it. Make excuses as much as you want, but it is up to each individual if they want to do what is necessary to keep their relationship honest and mutually respectful. For me, after catching him lying 4 times, that was enough. Fool me once…

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago

“they have to want to”
Agree!

DDD
DDD
4 years ago

Happy Holidays Everyone!!
If I may interject here,
I see this whole nasty mess as weighing the consequences, what is more important? your family, your relationship with a spouse, your word? or an addiction that sooner or later will get you sick or death. If you are not addicted, the answer is simple. It is sad that some of us choose the latter and destroy all we worked for around us. Live and Learn.

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

I’ve tried to dumb-it-down for you the best I can, next step is to break out the crayons for kindergarten flow-charts. ?
I’m feeling less sorry for you and more sorry for your husband, poor guy. He most likely needs some stress relief from the constant and relentless badgering in his home life. Congratulations, you’ve strengthen his addiction!
Look up “Empathy” in the dictionary, your poor husband could use some.
Was that “mansplained” enough?

LAUREN
LAUREN
2 years ago
Reply to  Samantha

God Bless your soul, honey. EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THAT IS MY LIFE. Its horrible to say, “welp, maybe you’ll just die and then i can collect life insurance”, but I am exhausted of every passing day of our lives having to deal with his garbage.. I am only with mine because we have young children that have begged us not to split up. 13 years married and he picked this up from some really wonderful friends (insert eye roll) at work 5 years ago… and i have done it all, threatened, begged, cried, all of it. I just want to be done. He’s not worth it any more. He Never dipped, vaped, smoked, nothing when we met… it is REPULSIVE and had he been when we met, it would’ve never gone anywhere, period. i have developed such a hatred for him and doing this to our family/marriage. i brush him off when he tries to touch me, i wont kiss him, i don’t sleep in the same bed with him, he teeth are something out of a horror show– and i want to say, do you think you turn me on any more…. because no. I used to not be so ugly and hateful, but ive had ENOUGH. and he acts like hes so hurt when i “say mean things” — no you have asked for every bit of this.

Maggie Faugstad
Maggie Faugstad
4 years ago

Hi,
I’m not sure what I’m looking for… I guess if I’m being honest I’m looking for a way to get my husband to quit. But of course I know (unfortunately from first hand experience) there is nothing I can do to make him quit.
I have many of the same feelings and problems being expressed here on this site.
I worry for his health, short term and long term.
I worry about our five sons, ages 8-1
I worry about our marriage
I’m annoyed about the money spent
I’m hurt and exhausted by the monthly “quitting”

I’ve tried to remove myself as much as I can. He’s a wonderful husband, father, provider and friend.
But still the question is, how do I live with a chewer? What lines do I draw if any? I have plenty of my own shortcomings! But why does this feel so personal?! So hurtful! It puts miles between us and can make a person feel so alone!

Alicia
Alicia
4 years ago

Maggie,

I can relate to everything you’ve listed with all the worries. I think about them daily and pray hard for my husband daily.

I don’t have any easy answers but just pray for him and trust God with my husband no matter what happens to his health and our future as a family. I’m not responsible for the consequences of his actions, only in helping him the best I can.

I hate nicotine with every bone in my body. Hate it!! So you are not alone. I hope your husband has a wake up call soon.

Tracy
Tracy
4 years ago

I love him but he’s being a total dick…. not sure how much I can handle.

Jess
Jess
4 years ago

You are not alone. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this seemingly on your own – it’s a truly selfish habit/addiction, and if he valued you and your future together he would surely begin taking steps towards a process to quit. Perhaps this is an indicator that you should delve deep into yourself and find out if you truly want to live this way for the rest of your life. An addict is an addict. The type drug is inconsequential- it still causes mood swings, outbursts of rage, anger & abuse. I went through it – my husband quitting was the hardest time in our marriage. The addiction turned him against me making me the villain – I almost left. Know that big tobacco is at fault, profits over people and American greed know no bounds. I wish you all the luck in the world to cope with this nasty habit that has taken ahold of your partner

LinH
LinH
4 years ago

I really could do with some support – I can’t live with his chew addiction anymore. He has been chewing for so many years, long before I met him, maybe 30 years I guess. He hid it from me when we first met (though he says he didn’t or perhaps he was doing it much less so I didn’t notice and get turned off) but anyway I really didn’t know until one day he brought it into our relationship, and I had NO IDEA that it would be affecting us and causing such a strain and negative vibe in our lives.

I really have nobody to talk to about this. I think he thinks i’m overreacting. I bring it up with him every now and again, and more recently because I just can’t bear it anymore. He did try to quit a few months ago and starting vaping instead (also highly irritating and was just replacing his addiction with another one) but he stopped after some time because I guess he couldn’t do it at work (he is a cop and needs to set an example) and perhaps he missed spending $38 on each can of chew, or missed the higher nicotine content. On the bright side the house is no longer filled with a lingering foggy mist of vape smoke everyday. So yep… he went back to chewing. Having a nice drinking glass or coffee mug filled up with gross chew spit has become the norm in our household again, and I have quite honestly had enough of it. It makes me feel unwell emptying his split when he forgets to do it. It’s revolting and he simply laughs about it. I find it so disappointing and disrespectful.

I have tried to stay quiet, I have tried to warn him of the health implications, and he just says something like “i’m addicted, you don’t understand”. It brings back memories of when I was with a drug addict when I was much younger who was in denial about how bad things had become. No hard drugs (and I hear chew is more addictive that heroin) but the “recreational” use got out of hand and he ignored everyone’s concern and turned his nose up at the support and love we offered. He finally stopped years later but I had already gone by then and I have no regrets. Years spent surrounded by that and I wasn’t going to stand for it any more. And now, I don’t want to be with an addict, period. I don’t want it in my life, our life, our household. I do not want to live in or raise a family in an addictive and unhealthy household.

The amount of stress and anxiety it causes me is unhealthy. He kisses me less, he rarely wants to taste my cooking and baking, or enjoy a cup of tea with me. He is chewing all the time. He teeth are stained yellow and to me he just doesn’t care about himself. On top of that we want to start trying for a baby this year but I am so scared that his chewing is going to affect our chances. He is getting a vasectomy reversal so our chances are reduced anyway. It breaks my heart that he doesn’t seem to care. Whenever I speak to him about it I just feel like I am nagging and I really have always, always tried to refrain from that but recently it’s making me so emotional and worried. Worried that I am going to start resenting him (or rather his addiction) and that alone puts a knot in my tummy. I have so much love and support for him but I am also not a pushover. I can not let this affect my life and happily ignore his addiction forever. He needs to know that we are on the same team.

I just worry that eventually he is going to get some disease and die early. And no, that’s not an extreme way of thinking, it’s damn realistic. No one ever thinks it will happen to them until it does. I can’t even fathom that happening. I am the most devoted and loving partner to him and I know he’s had a rough couple of years but it’s hard to grasp how such a smart man decides that this addiction is more important than his family and future. I know one might respond by saying, it’s an addiction and it’s not his fault… yeah I’ve heard it…

At the end of the day, I do not want to be with an addict, but I also don’t want to lose the man I love. Everything in our life and our relationship, and I mean everything, is SO wonderful. He’s my soulmate, he’s my friend – my best-friend. I adore him, I just wish so badly that I could take this addiction away. All of this is coming with a hefty price, and not just a financial one. I want us to have a healthy life, a healthy baby, a healthy family. I’m at the end of my tether, I really am.

I need some support, I don’t have anyone to talk to who really understands. I just wanted to share this so I don’t feel like I’m so alone. Sometimes I lie in bed when I’m home alone. I cry for us, I cry because I want to help but I don’t know what to do or how to continue suggesting help. I don’t have many or any friends really who I can speak to about it and we live in an area where a lot of men chew (not seen many women doing it) and my partner loves fishing and hunting so it’s something he says he needs to do.

At the moment he is the only one who brings money into our home, so I don’t feel comfortable saying that he is overspending and wasting money, because he supports us financially. There are so many things that we could do with the money he spends on chew. It’s gone beyond the financial impacts now but it’s obviously a huge amount of money that we could be spending on something else, or he could be spending on something else.
I spend a lot of time imagining what life would be like without chew, and thinking back on what life was like when I first met him when he didn’t spend so much money on it.

I don’t know what to do anymore. He has tried to quit, but it didn’t work. It’s now contributing to my stress levels which are off the chart. I recently decided to seek medical/holistic advice for myself and am on a number of supplements to help me stay calmer and more focused on myself. But I just think.. why I am the only one who seems to be thinking about our health and our future? What should I do?

DDD
DDD
4 years ago

All of you here are incredible human beings.
I have a question though, are there any guys here that have wives, girlfriends or significant others that dip, but they don’t themselves?
I would like to hear from their perspective.

Grace
Grace
4 years ago

Just wanted to say I read this article very often. My husband has tried to quit and the goes back to it, more times than I can count. Lately he has said he doesn’t ever want to stop and was just doing it because I made him. Despite that he drops nicotine on our newborn when putting it in, and our toddler drank his spitter and puked for 2 days. He does not care. I go here though to read comments and get hope that one day he may try to quit again. And for him. And for his satisfaction of knowing how much better off we will all be. It will be amazing if I get to kiss my husband again. Thank you everyone for commenting on this page, and giving me hope when I feel alone.

Michelle
Michelle
4 years ago
Reply to  Grace

I am struggling too Grace. Every time he quits and goes back to it I feel a fresh betrayal. He quits for weeks, months—so I know the physical addiction is over. I’ve given ultimatums, kicked him out, supported him, paid for therapy…..yet this seems never ending. I am beyond disgusted and don’t know how much more I am willing to take. I can’t understand why anyone would choose this at the risk of losing their family? Do we matter that little to them?

Candace
Candace
4 years ago

I know this article talks about spouses’ troubles with nicotine addiction, but I’m hoping I could get some help.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 2 years. He decided to quit cold turkey and ever since then I’ve noticed his entire mood changing. It’s been about a month so far. He admitted that he’s anxious, angry and depressed. He’s also been extremely brutally honest with me about my job, future goals, and our future together.

Two months ago he was talking about marriage and now he wants to leave. He said the famous words, “I think we should take a break” but he wants to talk about it more in person. I haven’t heard from him since.

I want to try to talk to him about how I’m here for him because I know it’s iust the withdraw talking. I don’t think I’ll even be able to get the chance to say that I’m here for him, suggest help/medication, etc. Hea not only shutting me out, but he’s shutting the world out.

My heart is breaking for him. Any suggestions?

Alicia
Alicia
4 years ago

As a spouse of an addict, I would say don’t marry an addict. I love my husband, but addiction has been in our marriage from the beginning. I knew about his smoking before we married, but love is blind. I had no idea how much nicotine addiction would effect me. He said he’d try to quit before we got married and he did, but started chewing after the cigarettes and hid it from me. 11 years later and nicotine is still around. Looking back, I would have told my crazy in love self to step back and tell him I couldn’t move forward or marry a nicotine addict unless he got free from it. But I’m married and I believe in keeping my vow. We have a 3 year old and a baby coming so I keep hoping something will motivate him. I continue to pray for my husband’s freedom from nicotine every single day and will as long as I’m living on this earth. I can’t blame God or anyone because I knowingly married a nicotine addict with deep bondage to the stuff. I long for the day when my husband gets serious about quitting. I’ve shared this site with him but he’s not interested. So many fights over it. Now I just shut up and pray.

Oz1
Oz1
4 years ago
Reply to  Alicia

I read a few posts in here and I can feel the pain.
If I may say a few words…
I am an ex-dipper so I know what your significant others are going through, for those of you that are sticking around someone with an addiction, I must say, you must have hearts of gold and heaven sent. It must be quite painful to see someone you care for struggling or enjoying an addiction.
As an addict you do not see it as one, you make justifications in your mind to continue with the bad habit.
Unfortunately for some of us, it takes a long time to be ready to quit.
The decisions that some of you are looking for, whether to stay, leave or not start a life with someone are entirely up to you. You can choose your destiny, but if I may suggest…..first Pray and Pray with all your heart and ask God for guidance before you make your decisions. He listens…..
I hope that helps, I do not know why, but I just had to say it.

Cydnee
Cydnee
4 years ago
Reply to  Oz1

Thank you for this comment it really helped a lot .

Jane
Jane
4 years ago

I’m supposed to get married in 2 months and just realized my fiancé has been lying to me about using fake dip vs the real stuff for the past 2 years. I don’t want to marry an addict. Is it fair for me to give him an utimatim? I know once we are married I have to support him no matter what I just don’t know if I can tie myself to this cycle. He promised me that he he would never dip again after he was caught but it’s day 4 and his anger and addiction frightens me.

Just Me
Just Me
4 years ago
Reply to  Jane

I wouldnt suggest getting married until he has alread quit. He will probably promise to quit and then not really put his effort in.

JAYP
JAYP
4 years ago
Reply to  Just Me

Terrible advice “Just Me”. Only a failed marriage is built around ultimatums.
Fake dip is NOT addicting. What IS addicting, is the habit of placing something in your mouth. If your fiance is using fake dip, instead of the real junk, you should absolutely support that decision. So long nicotine isn’t being used, there is no addiction, it’s more of a habit…that CAN be stopped.

Kacey
Kacey
5 years ago

Need guidance, my s/o is a chewer. He has been since I’ve known him, before we were together I confronted the issue of his addiction and I was told he would quit for the right person. Ever since then I’ve held onto that. Here we are coming on two years later and we still argue about it all the time, nothing has changed. Its incredibly discouraging, we will be having one of our best moments and then he’ll pull out the can and almost bring me to tears. I go from being the happiest woman in the world to just complete sadness. It controls him, his decisions, his temper, his relationships.

I saw that many people compare it to the “mistress” in the relationship and I cannot agree more. I feel he always he has put our relationship second when it comes to his addiction, and it is by far the worst feeling in the world. I feel betrayed, I am exhausted of trying to help him see all the awful things this monster does to him. I have tried every approach, but I know I will never be able to help him make the decision to stop. If he wants to do it, he’s going to. No matter what anyone else thinks. I feel cheated on, that I am never “enough” to even make him hold back for a few hours. I feel betrayed, heartbroken, and I am at a loss for what to do. I don’t want to have a family with him if this addiction is going to be more important than his relationship with his kids. I can’t imagine that, I don’t want my children to be around that bad habit, I don’t want my son or even daughter to pick up the same habit that will only come to destroy important relationships.

I worry for his health, I worry for us, I’ve held on for as long as I can but I don’t know much longer I can do it. It brings me so much pain and unhappiness that I know I don’t deserve. But the thing is I love him, I am just sick of this third person in our relationship. That third person that will forever be better than me, that will forever be more loved than me. He will never know what’s its like to be in a relationship with an addict and I will never know what its like to be addicted.

Sometimes I want him to feel what I’m feeling. Im almost willing to put my life at risk to be addicted just so he can feel what I do. I know its so wrong, but I live with these thoughts inside daily. I try to talk about it with him, but he will defend it every single time, and will never see it like I do.

Cost is also a huge factor, he has spent thousands of dollars on this object just because he likes it too much. I have looked up all the health factors that go into this addiction and I’ve seen pictures of people’s faces mangled from cancer and surgeries. I can’t understand why someone would want to put themselves at risk for that. They risk their lives to feel a minutes of “satisfaction”. I can’t imagine what that’s like.

I’m exhausted of being second. Of this permanent relationship in his life that I will never be more important than. How do you do it? How can I look past it? Because I can’t see myself getting to that point knowing this addiction isn’t doing him one once of good. It isnt bringing him anything but false happiness, confiding in an object for relief and pleasure… Please help, Im barely hanging on.

Maria
Maria
5 years ago
Reply to  Kacey

My husband of over 25 years, over 33 years of chewing has finally stopped chewing the tobacco with the supposed bad factors, but still has the nicotine. he switched to something that is supposed to be natural. He will never stop. He is a completely different person that I don’t like at all when he has no nicotine. I have finally realized that none if it is about me. I used to feel that we had a third person in our marriage that was there way before me. I don’t anymore but I also don’t put up with the addiction interrupting my life. If he has chew in his teeth I tell him, I used to ignore it but it looks terrible. If his breath gets really offensive I let him know. He gets crabby and gives me the eye roll but I don’t care anymore. I have prayed and finally decided to leave it in God’s hands. My husband is a health care worker so he knows all the signs. My kids do not chew, they frequently remind my husband of the dangers. I had to decide that I loved the man in spite of the chew. I will pray the you can come to some resolution because letting it impact you causes you stress that is unhealthy also. take care.

Alicia
Alicia
5 years ago

Hi Julie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like your husband’s addiction is quite strong, although I think they all are otherwise it would be easy to quit!

It can be a roller coast with the emotions. I’ve also wondered if some of my recent physical problems are somewhat of a result of the stress. Lately, I’m just trying to focus on self care and really praying and surrendering him to God. I can’t control him or his addiction, only myself. But God can speak louder and stronger than I and God sometimes used circumstances to do it. I keep praying for my husband’s addiction as he may never regain movement in his finger do to a traumatic accident and the nicotine is certainly limiting his healing. I have to surrender that outcome to God too.

Thankfully my husband is getting life insurance soon so that gives some financial peace anyway.

I have good days and angry moments when I want to nag again but I’ve already said enough. I may print some materials from this website about the effects of nicotine and give to him to read with a link to this site. If I try in a supportive manner rather than condemning maybe it will help.

And back to letting go. I hope this helps!

God bless you,
Alicia

Julie
Julie
5 years ago
Reply to  Alicia

Thanks for your support Alicia……an entry response to my entry I just read indicated I am exaggerating about the financial cost as a can only costs $5. Where I live it costs between $36-$38 a can……I did the research and the math exploring our bank statements going way back as most of what is purchased comes out of our joint account. It is no exaggeration unfortunately….I wish it was.

J

Alicia
Alicia
5 years ago

Are there any actual spousal support groups affiliated with this site? I’m struggling much right now with feeling constantly angry with my husband’s chew addiction. I married a smoker 10 years ago who turned into a chewer. He was completely nicotine free 1 year until his mom died of cancer 2 years ago. Nicotine and addiction runs in his family. We have a 3 year old daughter. I’ve told him my concerns, worries, and fears many times. It doesn’t matter. He chooses the drug. He says he doesn’t want to do it, but he does it. He recently almost lost a finger in a table saw accident. He was advised not to use nicotine to give his hand every chance to heal. He may never use it again fully. He was off nicotine one week then went back! I’ve been so angry.

I KNOW it’s HIS addiction. I KNOW I cannot quit for him. My struggle is dealing with the anger. I’m so angry about it. Of course the root of it is fear of losing him early or watching him die a self inflicted needless death. I often think I’m overreacting because it’s just chewing tobacco, but then it’s a serious expensive addictive drug!! He was leaving the house early today for a doctors appointment and I knew he was going to buy more. I could see the excitement in his eyes before he left. It’s seriously demonic and I hate it. I continue to pray for him, but I’m just so angry. I would never leave him over it. I married an addict so I will keep my vows no matter what. I’m continuing meeting with our pastor from church to ask for support for dealing with my own anger. It would “out” him to the pastor which I don’t think he’d like, but I’m tired of this huge secret. Although he apparently has told an elder at church and two guys but he has NO accountability or seems to want any. I’ve sent him this site once. I doubt he checked it out. I’m to the point where I’m going to start saving money so my daughter and I will be prepared for the day when he’s passed away too early.

I KNOW I cannot fix him!! I’m seriously desperate to figure out how to live in peace with being married to an addict.

Christopher Russell
Christopher Russell
5 years ago
Reply to  Alicia

Hi Alicia,

My name is Chris. I am a nicotine addict. I chewed for 31 years and was up to 3 cans a day when I decided to quit. I am now 287 days nicotine free.

I am sorry you are feeling angry towards your husband’s addiction (notice I did not say towards your husband). Nicotine is a very powerful drug, It is harder to quit than heroine. Unfortunately, your husband needs to want to quit before he will even consider it. I have seen many people come in to the forum professing they are quitting for their spouse and/or kids and the next thing you know they have caved. The reason is they did not quit for themselves first.

This is not to say that you can not influence your husband to want to quit. Most definitely, leave articles around the house outlining the dangers of tobacco and nicotine use, pictures of guys missing half their jaws from cancer is a great motivator. Try and figure out how many cans a day he chews and go to the store and find out how much he is paying per can. Then write out on a piece of paper how money he is wasting every year on dead plant in a plastic tin. Put that piece of paper next to an advertisement for some vacation spot that he would really enjoy going to but hasn’t because you couldn’t afford it. I bet you could on just one years worth of dip money.

I personally am saving over $7,000 per year and I am treating my wife an son to a two week Caribbean cruise and the Daytona 500 in February.

Chanel your anger into positive ways to motivate him to WANT to quit. In the end, if if still chooses a dead plant, you will have the piece of mind of knowing that you tried but it is ultimately his decision to want to quit.

I wish I had better advise for you and I feel for you and hope and pray your husband sees the light.

All the best,

Chris

Alicia
Alicia
5 years ago

Chris,

Thank you for sharing about your experience and your response. As you said I’m certainly angry at the addiction, not so much him, but it does get transferred. What I get angry about is when he says “I don’t want to chew. It’s a weight around my neck…etc” but he does it anyway. I recently heard our pastor say “You do what you do because you want to do it!” I just don’t want to hear the excuses.

I have probably leaned towards being too quiet when I think about it. I’m always afraid of being a nag and it’s hard to talk about. I’ve gotten mad and communicated I’m afraid of him dying early. I have not cut any photos or articles about and set them around the house. Maybe I should. I know exactly how much he uses, about 1 can a day plus the gum was costing us $100 a month! Just this past week I’ve finally started writing a nicotine tab on our fridge along with all the other bills I’m keeping track of. I’ve never done that before but I’m tired of the secret of how much it costs. Now he can see it how much is being spent.

So far this week, he hasn’t bought any in 3 days so I believe he’s trying to quit again. Last week was tense around here. He’s been short with me and my daughter, but I’m understanding it’s the withdrawal symptoms and trying to let it go.

Good encouragement about channeling the anger to something more productive. I do pray for him daily. Good for you for quitting! Best gift you could give your family along with a vacation!

Jen
Jen
4 years ago

I also am married to a secret dipper. Honestly I always say It would have been a deal breaker if I would have known the significance early on ?.He never dips in the house or around myself or our 3 kids but I have known about his addiction since we started dating 20 + years ago & he gave it up as his New Years resolution. . I too can’t stop from bring angry and resentful. I’m a nurse and my husband lost his older brother at 45 to esophageal cancer and his father had throat & prostate cancer ( he was a xsmoker). I’m sick of trying to explain to him WHY I am so upset and trying to offer suggestions of how he can quit. I KNOW he has to want it …but I can’t just sit back & watch him destroy his health with this nasty habit!! Is there any way to help someone decide to commit to quitting or must I just hope & pray??!!

Kricket
Kricket
5 years ago
Reply to  Alicia

Alicia girl, I feel for you! I’m in a very similar situation, he chewed when we dated and got married and it didn’t initially bother me. He quit a couple years ago “for me and our future family”, he was off it for probably a year. Then after we had our son apparently alcohol started becoming a problem for him, but he was hiding it pretty good from me. He decided to quit drinking and started chewing again ? the last 7 months have been SO hard for me, it brought on postpartum depression and anxiety after he told me and I’m still fighting it. I have the same thought as you to try to start saving money somewhere so that I’m not completely screwed when he dies, I have no idea what I would do or how I would support myself and our son without him. It hurts and it’s scary, it puts a wedge between us because it makes me not want to work on becoming closer with him, just making myself stronger and more independent, and that’s not how I want to be! He has NO idea what I fight in my head over it every day and I don’t know how to talk to him about it. He knows I don’t want him to do it, but I’ve only said anything about it once. I wish I’d have made a bigger deal out of being proud of him for quitting. It’s even worse because he has successfully quit once so I know he can, he just chooses not to and me and our son are not enough incentive for him to give it up, my heart sinks to the bottom of my stomach every time he buys a can or takes a dip. I can’t even look him in the eye, and it makes me angry with his parents for not teaching him to deal with his stress in a healthier way too. I admire you for seeking help and talking to him about it! I’m a feelings stuffer with anything that will cause conflict or possibly hurt his feelings, and I hate it! I know this isn’t a lot of help but I am lifting you up in prayer and just want you to know that you are not alone, I am fighting a lot of the same things and struggling to hand it all over to God and move forward as well. Love and prayers for you ?

Alicia
Alicia
5 years ago
Reply to  Kricket

Kricket,
It sounds like we have been in similar situations, almost exact! Thank you for sharing and understanding. I’m also probably too quiet about it. I’m really trying to be more honest and not hide it but also just keep focused on God and praying for him daily. I have a journal I write in often to process emotions. It is exhausting dealing with the roller coaster of it all. Let’s not lose hope. Thank you for praying and I will be praying for you too. ❤️

Julie
Julie
5 years ago
Reply to  Alicia

Hi Alicia,

I felt comforted when I read about your reactions to your husband’s chew.

You voiced my own experience of frustration, anger, disappointment and a very real concern I have that my husband of 20 years will end up with a life threatening disease. I know enough about chew now to know how many carcinogens are in a mouthful of chew and the types of disease that can manifest due to extended use. I come from a country that bans chew – it simply cannot be purchased there so I lacked awareness around his chew addiction for quite some time after we got together. I made the mistake of asking him to decide between me and chew just before we married and he told me he chose chew……..how stupid does that make me……by then I was in love the the man he often is and I didn’t want to lose the many parts of him that are precious to me.

Your words were validating so thank you as I came to the computer today looking for that out of a deep need for an alleviation of my aloneness around this issue.

My husband has been addicted to chew since he was 12 years old. His mother and sister are tobacco addicts and his mother has lost 2 sisters to lung cancer. I learned a very long time ago that I cannot talk to him about his addiction that costs us on average $10,000 a year as he goes through several cans of chew in a week.

He once got onto the support site and actually talked to me about his desire and willingness to finally let it go. He put me in touch with this site and others so I knew how to support him. I was willing to do whatever it took – to keep my mouth shut – to stay out of his way when he raged at me and blamed me for his chew – and within a week he was withdrawing from me and no longer talking about it – a week after that he was back on the chew as I could smell it – I said nothing but a part of the light from made brighter from hope within me, faded.

I too have vowed to stay with him and not leave because of the damage his addiction does to our our relationship, particularly our intimacy. My husband sleeps with it in his mouth so it is pretty much 24/7 usage and I cannot stand the stale foul breath he has that he seems to have no awareness of. I avoid telling him as when I have mentioned it he has been angry with me and can withdraw from me for days. We have not slept together in the same bed for years now and I view his chew as his mistress – as he has a very intimate relationship with the chew every night. It is a hu ongoing loss and it is painful.

I recently had a surgery to remove a very large synovial cyst from my spinal canal. I belief strongly that if we hold negativity in our bodies and don’t resolve it, it can manifest as a physical problem and I attribute the cyst as a build up of what I am not able to express direct to my husband about how damaged I feel our marriage is now.
So that is why I came to the computer today while recovering from the spinal surgery as I don’t want to keep this daily challenge inside me……it is hurting me.

So once again Alicia, thank you for your words.

With Much Appreciation

Julie

TC
TC
5 years ago

My husband stopped chewing about 3 months ago as far as I know. He has been chewing for well over 25 years so I get that it is hard. He was not going to tell me but thought maybe he should in case he gets irritable. I was shocked that he even decided to quit in the first place because it was always a touchy subject between us anyways. I got to the point I stopped really caring that he was doing it. So now here we are 3 months or so into him stopping chewing and oh my gosh he is not fun to be around. I cannot hardly stand it anymore. He has a temper the way it is but this is so not helping!! I am trying to be supportive but I am getting to the point I do not want to be around him. He is so up and down with his moods. He went away for the week for a work trip and I thought maybe having sometime to himself would help, but it is almost worse! I am tired of being mad at him. But I am also tired of walking on eggshells just waiting for his next outburst.

T
T
5 years ago
Reply to  TC

Please tell me I don’t have to deal with this for 3 months?! It’s already been 2-3 weeks of hell. I do not want to put up with it anymore. Men are freaking babies!!!! Why can’t they put on their big boy pants and stop hiding behind some excuse to treat their family like shit. They decided to chew. They decided to quit. I’d like to decide to not be treated like garbage.

Jessica
Jessica
5 years ago
Reply to  T

My husband is on day 13. We’ve fought and he’s been a dick for like 10 of those days. What the actual hell is going on – he can’t distinguish that I am indeed NOT a manipulative evil and vile woman, but that it’s his nicotine withdrawal that’s making him explode on me with rage and irritability – please tell me it gets better? I am at my wits end and want to leave

JAYP
JAYP
5 years ago
Reply to  Jessica

First off, none of this is your fault,.so.dont feel like a victim.
Personally, I put my love ones thru hell too. But it was a trade off they were all willing to accept, to allow me to get rid of the addiction. You’re dealing with an addict trying to get clean.
I apologized ahead of time to them and told them it would he worth it in the end and it is!
No, it doesn’t last forever, but it does take a while for the addict to.adjust to stress with out the aid of nicotine.
I guess it comes down to what is more comfortable for you as a spouse. Dealing with a person trying to get clean from addiction, which is probably one of the most difficult things I ever did, or….letting your loved one continue their addiction. I am greatful my family dealt with me and my assholeness during the quit….they were in my corner when I was fighting my demons and now they get to enjoy the win, with me….almost 5 years clean!!
Your choices are either support them, even if it’s staying out of the way or…let them continue their addiction.
It does get better and it is not your fault.

Oz1
Oz1
5 years ago
Reply to  Jessica

Jessica, it does get better for the addicted. Of course you always have that option, but if you decide to stay and he overcomes his addiction, he would live the rest of his life thanking you and making it up to you. Good Luck.

T
T
5 years ago
Reply to  TC

Oh Gawd I cannot do this for 3 months!

Kimberly Dys
Kimberly Dys
5 years ago

I’m really struggling right now. My husband and I have been married 29 years. Hes been sober for 12 but a few years after he quit drinking I found a tin hidden in the garage. I had found one shortly after we first got married when we both quit smoking so I guess I dont know if he quit back then as he promised and restarted when he quit drinking or if this has been an addiction the whole time. My husband quit dipping 1 year 4 days ago. He had tried multiple times before but has always failed. This time I suggested he get some help, use a nicotine aid and seek counseling, or at least support from this group. He started using nicotine gum. Things were good for a while, he boasted about avoiding the dip through very tempting situations, but was using the gum to get through. He refuses to get counseling and to the best of my knowledge has never visited this site. About 7 months on the gum he was staying strong off the dip but I was getting concerned about the gum. It was becoming the same thing as the dip for me. He was hiding how much he was using, sneaking around to keep it private, criticizing me and putting me down. The mood swings, sarcasm, irritability all coming back. We got in a huge fight, he has never admitted to being an addict, it’s a bad habit! He finally got off the gum. At 1 year clean from dip and 100 days clean of nicotine I congratulated him and told him how proud of him I was. He confessed to having bought and used nicotine gum a few days earlier. I couldn’t beleive it, I felt so betrayed! I didnt even know what to say. The next day I started asking more questions. He is dip free but the gum has been more like a few weeks. I feel destroyed, beaten up, betrayed, lied to, lonely. I dont know what’s wrong with me. I should be grateful hes still not dipping but it doesn’t feel like success. It feels like thin ice, the beginning of the fall. I dont know what to do??? Please advice

Mags
Mags
5 years ago

About a month ago I found out that my husband had been secretly dipping for two years. And at first I didn’t even believe it because he is so concerned about his teeth and his appearance (he is very vain). Then, so much started making sense, such as his growing his beard out, his need for super soft tooth brushes, his need to sensitive tooth paste, getting up early before me, wanting to go ride his rzr alone, etc. I was destroyed-because we just bought land to build a house on and have been discussing having a baby. Then he came to be and told me he would quit, we made a deal (I am over weight and I know I am addicted to food) that I would eat healthy because that is just as bad as dipping. So I was positive and went out and bought him sunflower seeds, gum, gummy bears, etc. I wrote him notes and did a daily count and told him how proud i was of him and would text him and ask him how he was feeling and how i was so proud of him. Then yesterday i found a receipt dated two weeks ago-and he said he did dip once. Then today he finally broke down and told me that he never quit, he had been lying again and that he wanted to keep dipping and that he never wanted to stop.
He blamed me for his starting to dip, and its all my fault because i stress him out.
It is hard for me because I have only ever asked for honesty and i don’t know who this man is that I married.
We discussed children again two days ago and i told him that i was ready and he said if he knew that he would quit then and there and then today he said he doesn’t want to quit and he won’t quit. After he knows that i don’t want to have children around that stuff.
It is all so very back and forth i can’t believe anything he says anymore. I don’t ask him for anything, he is the one who comes to me and tell me I’m doing this and i am doing that for you and then acts like i am terrible for making him do that.
I am just to a breaking point, i don’t know if i want to stay or go.

C
C
5 years ago
Reply to  Mags

There will always be an excuse not to quit until they decide for themselves . Been married 29 years in November, he quit for 10 years, I thought I would never have to go through any of that again. My husband started again when our oldest was 8,he is 16 now, because of job stress. He hid it for a year and half before I found it, I honestly thought he was having an affair, in a way he was . I was devastated and could not believe I was in this nightmare all over again, with a family now. It’s been a rollercoaster since, for me, it tears me up. Addiction really sucks! From my experience, it never goes away. I constantly worry about cancer and all the adverse effects tobacco has physically. Tobacco has taken so much from our marriage. I do love him though. You have a difficult decision, good luck. I wish you all the best!

Supportive Wife
Supportive Wife
5 years ago

Husband is 2 weeks free of dip and I can tell you that he has struggled. I am being supportive and have made sure to be understanding. He’s turned to riding his bike to get rid of the tension that is radiating in his body. He says he has an itch in his head he can’t scratch and migraines are awful. The ice pack has helped and he’s eating sunflower seeds. I’m looking forward to not seeing him in so much pain.

Alli
Alli
5 years ago

My husband just decided to quit after at least 34 yrs of dipping. He’s quit one time in between for 3 yrs and fell back into it. First time he quit he didn’t tell me and the anger towards me was so bad I thought our marriage was done. Now more than 15 yrs later and two daughters, how do I handle the anger unleashed on myself and them? I understand the addiction and this is apart of the “quiting” phase. It’s one thing to be supportive but when it gets to the point of too much, when we’ve taught our girls not to be treated as such, where’s the line?! Need help ASAP!!!

Maria
Maria
5 years ago

My husband has now been chew free for 100 days as of yesterday, our 25th wedding anniversary. He has chewed since he was 15 so 33 years. I am very proud of him but he is a different person than the one I married. He always has been very good at gifts and remembering important dates. Gave me great things for our 10, 15 and 20th anniversaries. We yesterday there was not gift for our 25th. It didn’t even enter his mind. He feel terrible and I don’t want him to go back to chewing but I miss the guy that always was thoughtful. I suspect he is just caught up in the overwhelming issue of quitting. Does it get better? He still focusing on it a lot.

Shatwood
Shatwood
5 years ago
Reply to  Maria

Nicotine aids memory and concentration, so when you’re used to living on nicotine for decades, and then it’s abruptly taken away, one’s memory is going to suffer; concentration as well.

100 days is not very long. I’m only at one month and I’m still an anxious, depressed mess. I’m a real debbie downer and not much fun to be around. I used to be full of energy and emotion, and now I’m a real dullard. Your husband might feel the same.

It’s not fun becoming lethargic, and also knowing your loved ones around you are suffering from it as well.

ON THE OTHER HAND, they’d would suffer a lot more from an early death.

You’re just going to have to give him a few mulligans for awhile. He’s not himself, and it’s probably going to take quite awhile for him to feel normal again.

Hopefully not long, because I want to feel normal again as well. NOT being on dip is terrible. Dip is a friend and an emotional support group and three months isn’t long enough to get over the end of a decades-long friendship.

Stay tough and stay patient. Be understanding.

K Hudson
K Hudson
5 years ago

My husband and I have been married for almost 3 1/2 years, he chewed when we were dating and got married. It didn’t really bother me, I knew that was something he did and that I would have to deal with it going into the marriage. I promised myself I would never ask him to quit for me because that would only cause problems for both of us and I didn’t want to become a nagging wife. Well a few months after we get married he decides he wants to quit, so I told him I would do what I could to help and support him. He made it two weeks and then started again, not a fun two weeks for me in our new marriage. A little over a year later he wants to quit again, “for me and our future family,” man I wish he never said that!!! He did successfully quit for a few months this time, then got stressed out and started bumming chews off his friends and I eventually caught him with some stuck in his beard. In front of all our friends I had been bragging on him to for quitting. Embarrassing. We talked about it and luckily he hadn’t had enough to turn into a huge problem, he didn’t really have to “quit” this time. We have a baby boy who just turned 4 months old, now dad decides to take a break from drinking, all his own idea, he recognized it was turning into a problem himself. So he hasn’t had a drink at home for a little over a month, gets stressed out about something again and drives 30 miles to town to buy a can. Now he has a stash, idk if he bought a roll or what. It was so much easier to forgive and look past before he said he wanted to quit to be around for me and our family. Now every time he struggles it makes me feel completely worthless, he’d rather have his chew than me and/or his family, etc and like I just need to start building my own life so I’m not completely screwed when he dies from cancer or so I have something to fall back on when his cancer costs us everything we have and part of his face. It makes me not want to have more children with him even though I would love to have more children. Being a new mom and having a little boy who makes me feel needed and who won’t disappoint me, I just don’t want to emotionally invest myself in my marriage. I’m constantly debating whether I want to still work on our marriage or just detach and not care. I’m physically tired from not sleeping well with a new baby and emotionally exhausted from being frustrated with my husband and trying not to bring it up. I don’t know what to do and feel in one hand that I’m blowing everything out of proportion and wonder why it is such a big deal to me, and on the other it feels valid. I’ve tried to talk myself into not caring for a few weeks and love him for all the good he does but it’s just not going away. It keeps me up between feedings at night while my baby is sleeping and I just don’t want to go through him quitting again. It makes me apprehensive to want to act proud of him for quitting anything because I can’t believe that it’s going to stick, causes me problems with trusting or believing in him and I just hate it. I don’t know what to do! Glad I found this page and know I’m not the only one. Feels good to vent to someone who won’t hold it against him.

Robbie
Robbie
5 years ago
Reply to  K Hudson

What your husband is going through is the same thing that all of us who have joined this site have gone through. Unfortunately for him, it looks like he is going through his quit alone. You are probably telling yourself that you are going through this with him, but you are not for one simple reason–you are not an addict. It is almost impossible to describe the power of this addiction to a non-addict. It consumes your thoughts, it whispers to you in the night or in the morning when you wake up, it gives you the best, most convincing arguments you’ve ever heard about why you need to have some tobacco, or why you should give up your quit. At its height, my addiction was telling me that my wife was 100% at fault for all of our marriage problems, and that I was fully justified in having a dip at night when I got home, because I deserved to have a little joy in my life. It is only now that I have quit that I recognize how incredibly stupid and misguided that thought was (I had literally substituted my wife for a dead weed), but it was incredibly convincing while I was in the grips of my addiction.

That is why this place is so important. I would advise you to tell your husband about this site, and encourage (don’t tell) him to try it out. There are things that we, as fellow quitters, can do for him that you cannot. I have been on this site since February, and have caved twice. Both times, I had to face my shame and come back here to confess. Both times, my quit brothers on this site gave me the strength to start again (after quite a bit of butt-chewing about being a liar!) As long as your husband tries to quit on his own, his chances of being successful are minimal. If you can convince him to come here (or if not, to get a friend of his to quit with him), then he has a much greater chance.

As for your own experience, all I can tell you is that you are not alone–there are millions of spouses just like you. As an addict of 34 years, and married for 23 of those years, I have put my wife through a lot of the same things you are going through. Like you, she withdrew into her own life and our marriage suffered, and I substituted her with a dead weed. Now that I have made that decision to quit, I have been amazed at how quickly our marriage has recovered. Have faith in your husband. Your married him for a reason–remember those reasons! It may take him a long time to beat this addiction–the best thing you can do for him is to love him and to remind him from time to time that he needs to quit, especially before your child gets old enough to figure out what he is doing. God bless you!

JP
JP
5 years ago
Reply to  Robbie

Great stuff Robbie, spot on!

K
K
5 years ago
Reply to  Robbie

Thank you, Robbie! Your comment is very helpful, I’ve looked back on it severa time over the last couple months. I did want to ask you, how often do you think would be good to remind someone they need to quit? I’m the kind of person to keep things to myself until I completely boil over because I fear being or becoming a nagger.

Alexandria
Alexandria
5 years ago
Reply to  K Hudson

I am in a very similar situation. I have a one year old and three year old. My husbands repeated concealing and deceit about chew make me so angry and I have to try to act like a happy mom while I am just seething. Unlike you, I had no idea he had this 30 year addiction when I married him at age 45. He is dopey and sleepy and depressed a lot and and then stays up all night. His first wife died in 2013. I fear he will neglect me and not notice any of my needs and I will die too. I keep debating whether to take steps toward divorce.

Bethany
Bethany
5 years ago
Reply to  K Hudson

OMG I’m feeling the exact same way right now!!!!! I’m almost 2 months pregnant and it’s an IVF baby so we’ve been through a LOT to get this baby….he has been promising me that he will quit for months and that it was a “short term thing”….that was a year and a half ago!!!! He just quit for 3 weeks for a new job that we NEED to get by at a hospital that doesn’t allow tobacco use in its employees! He stopped for weeks and long enough to “pass their tests” and then I caught him hiding it again a few days ago! I was devastated especially because I was soooo relieved and happy that he quit and then just like that he’s back to it just because of one “stressful day” like wtf I’m pregnant!!!! Things are going to be a LOT more stressful here soon and now I’m always going to have to worry that he’s doing it behind my back??? I feel exactly like you girl, honestly! I feel sad, worthless, angry and resentful! I feel like he’s already a LOT older than me and he knows he’s already not going to be around for our kids as long as most younger dads (he’s 50 I’m 31), WHY would he be ok with continuing to do something bad for him that will cut that time even shorter?? Finally after ALL we’ve been through to get this baby he KNOWS how i feel about skoal and how happy I was when he quit but he just starts up again over one stupid stressful day???? GRRRR ? much like you I’m losing a lot of sleep because of not only pregnancy symptoms but because of the STRESS of this demon called SKOAL!!!! I HATE IT!!!!! It’s also such a financial burden on us. He’s a retired cop and has a good pension but it only gets us so far every month and that’s why we NEED him to have this job to survive!! WHY IS HE OK WITH RISKING EVERYTHING for this shit??? Aren’t me and the new baby we’re going to have enough??? I don’t want this to ruin our marriage but it just might and I’m completely dependent on him financially now. I have no where else to go! Sometimes it bothers me SO much that I’m almost ok living in a shelter JUST to get away from having to watch him do something that’s slowly destroying him and us on a daily basis with being pregnant and already on edge and emotional! Anyway just wanted to let you know you’re not alone at all!!!! I’m up at 5am today because of the stress!!! He’s already awake in the other room and I don’t want to get up and go in there because I KNOW he’s spitting and it’s going to cause a fight and put me in a sour ass mood for the day! Ugh. I wish they would OUTLAW skoal ???? it ruins everything!

Renee
Renee
5 years ago

My husband has been chewing since they took our smoking lounge away in high school (that was in 1986). He did quit awhile back after our son was born (that was in 1996) but started back up. I used to nag him about his chewing and drinking which caused him to stray at one time, said I was acting like his mother (that was in 2013). I came to the realization that his chewing really had no impact on me – decided to pick my battles and that was no one of them. After reading some of these posts, I find myself actually fortunate that he does not have that “angry addict” attitude toward me or our family. So, here we are, in 2018, and HE DECIDED it was time to quit! He is only on Day 3. Although i find myself incredibly proud, I also feel very useless – I don’t know what to do to help him. He is tired, bad headaches, restless, terrible sore throat anxious, all of the above.

JAYP
JAYP
5 years ago
Reply to  Renee

This is great news Renee. I’m glad to hear he’s decided it’s time. Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot you can do, other than support him. This is, in my opinion, a very individual choice. Selfish if you will. But because “he” has came to this decision, I think he will be successful at quitting. It was the same for me, “I” was tired of the nearly 30 year habit and wanted to get away. My wife/kids played no factor (see the selfishness?).But it was because of this individual choice, I was able to quit and stay clean and have almost 4 years now. When it comes down to it and I’m alone, it will be me, not my family, that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
It was hell, I won’t lie. I was in “bitchy” mode all the time. But it lifted after about 60 days.
I’d say just be there for him and try to understand if he gets moody, it’s not a thing yourself has done, it’s this horrible habit leaving his body and rearing it’s ugly head at you. Go a head and flip it a “mental” bird!
Hopefully you’ve pointed him here to this site, it was a big help in my decision to quit. And it’s a big reason I still come here (almost 4 years later) to offer commentary to others thinking about and going through, the quit.
I wish you (family?) and your husband the best on this journey, stay strong!!
-JP

C
C
5 years ago
Reply to  Renee

I am so happy for you Renee! I admire your attitude. Hang in there, sending good vibes your way. Someday I hope to be where you are .

Lorain
Lorain
5 years ago

I wrote this last year. And am still living the cycle. I am sure many of you can relate.

My husband is an addict. And his addiction is more insidious than alcohol or heroin. His addiction is legal, like alcohol, but more addictive than heroin. How could something more addictive than heroin be legal you ask? Well, because a lot of very powerful people make a lot of money off of getting people hooked on this addiction.

My husband is an addict. He lies, his behavior is erratic, he is angry, hostile, short-tempered. He picks fights with me so that he can go and use his drug. He is short-tempered with our family. He has no patience with our daughter.

His relationship with his family is secondary to his relationship with his addiction. His marriage is secondary to his addiction. In fact, his addiction is all powerful. His addiction is number one. Given an ultimatum—your marriage or your addiction—he chooses the addiction. His addiction in “the other woman” in our marriage. And she is sexy and makes him feel so much better than anything else. Her pull is stronger than anything. Her pull is stronger than this marriage. Her pull is stronger than the parent/child bond. She is, and always will be, number one to him.

I love my husband. I want my marriage to work. But the marriage is not working because he is an addict. It is a vicious cycle. He quits—I am happy and believe him—he starts again—I suspect him and confront him—he lies and lies and lies— I catch him— I get angry— I say I am doing this anymore—he gets angry—I give up. And it starts all over again. All over again, and again and again, and again.

He did stop his addiction for 3 weeks. They were the best 3 weeks in the past 10 years. He was calmer, happier, more connected, –normal, for want of a better term. We did not fight. He was not lying and sneaking around to go use. He was present with me and our children.
But, his addiction was more powerful than us. More powerful than his desire to have a relationship with his wife and children. His addiction lured him back in, as always. It is always there, always lurking, always pulling him away. Now that he is back using he is gone again. And the lies. The constant, constant, lying. I hate lying. I mean, who likes their spouse to lie to them?
How can something that causes so much damage be legal? And how can a substance that is so vile not have support groups to help people quit. There is AA and NA and Gambler’s Anonymous. There are groups for every type of addiction out there. This one is completely overlooked as a serious addiction that damages families… that breaks apart marriages. This insidious addiction just lurks and is tolerated. It is considered a public health risk…. But not treated as a serious addiction like alcohol or hard drugs.

What is it? Nicotine. Nicotine in very high doses. Maybe you are thinking that it can’t be as bad as I describe. But it is. It is worse than I describe. My marriage is about to end because my husband will not give up the can of dip he holds so precious. I am sick and tired of being married to another addict. Of spending my days wondering who is going to show up… the angry irritable guy in withdrawal? Or the man who is in a moment of calm before the next wave hits him where he needs to pick a fight with me so he has an excuse to go and dip.

I am mad, I am sad, I am tired… so tired of the cycle and the game. And he… where is he? He is in denial that is it really a problem. He is not giving up his addiction. Instead, he would rather give up me and our family. I am tired of the other woman always winning out. I know it is time to go. I am devastated that I know he will let me. Her hold is just too strong. I can not win. It is time to break the cycle.

Lorain
Lorain
5 years ago
Reply to  Chewie

Thank you. I have finally had it. This last cycle he went to hypnosis in November, swore to quit. I saw all the same aggressive typical addictive behaviors in January and he denied using again. I trusted him. I asked him no less than 5 times over the past couple months if he was dipping again. He denied it. I believed him. I found out this past Monday he was indeed using again.—and that was it. I am done. I am so enraged I can not even speak to him. I unleashed today and told him this is it. He has a choice and it is an ultimatum. He can have his can, or his wife and family.
It is more than the act of dipping. It is the behaviors of the addict. It is the lying and the deceit. The sneaking around (bc he hides it all the time)… What kind of marriage is it if there is no trust and honesty. 10 years of marriage. 10 years of addiction in that marriage. I’m done and he knows it.
He is at a nicotine anonymous meeting as I write this. We shall see.
I also told him we will never discuss this again. The second he lies to me again, we are done. I will not raise my children in an addictive household.

Sonya M Devola
Sonya M Devola
5 years ago
Reply to  Lorain

I just came to find my husband was lying about his snuff use. I told him that is what hurts our marriage more than anything is his lying. If he feels he can lie about it (I can tell when he lies) what will stop him from lying about other things.

Hope all has worked out.

Neverquit Quitting
Neverquit Quitting
5 years ago
Reply to  Lorain

You married a man that chews tobacco. Then you demand he changes because your married. You think it’s gross. You think he should quit because you tell him he must. For better or worse you claim but now you give up.
Sounds to me you haven’t helped at all. You can only quit chewing if you want to. Yes, it is an addiction. Don’t put yourself in a situation where you will be lied to. You were okay with it enough when you married him so be that way again.
Shower him with love and romance beginning now, at the same time encourage him to quit if he would like to. He is more likely to quit on his own by romance and encouragement than he ever will with ultimatums and ridicule. If you back him into a corner he will defend himself by any means. Don’t back him Toto a corner if you’re not wanting to be hurt.

JAYP
JAYP
5 years ago
Reply to  Lorain

This is really a sad situation…I truly feel for you and your daughter.
Fortunately (only for me), my spouse never felt this negative towards my 25-30 year habit. And I am not calling you negative, I’m just saying she really left me alone with the habit. This doesn’t mean she agreed with it. It was disgusting and she was crystal clear about that. But again, my quit of this, came from within. No one externally was the reason behind my quit. And I will stand 100% behind this statement. No one will help you more with a quit, than yourself. It is essential that YOU want to quit. Who else is around when you’re by yourself and want a pinch? No one. You and only you
decides if you will continue being a slave to nicotine, in all forms. Thankfully to this site and all the posters, I am still free almost 4 years now. I ain’t ever going back. But it’s because of “me” and what “I” want. I realize I am “just one pinch” away from tossing it all away…and I don’t want to restart the quit. Notice all the “me, I, myself”? It’s the most selfish and rewarding thing an individual can do, to quit nicotine.
It truly breaks my heart to see the bitch nicotine destroying a home like this. My heart goes out to you and I promise to drop a word in to the man upstairs for your husband. I hope he comes to realization there are more important things in life than nicotine. I will say, it’s a hard, HARD nut to crack, especially at the beginning. But there is a happy and just as normal life, without nicotine.
Best wishes!
-JP

Lorain
Lorain
5 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

JP, thank you. As you can see from my response to Chewie it is enough for me. And.. the reasons. The last time he quit he did it. He made all these proclamations of how he was choosing his family and wife over the can. I got my hopes up that finally, after 10 years, he saw the light. Or, as he said, he was ready to quite and make us 1st. Until…. he didn’t… and he lied… and it is at my core that I can not stand lying. So, here w are. I am grateful for finding this site and I thank you for the prayers!!!!

Lost
Lost
5 years ago
Reply to  Lorain

I cant believe I have never found this site in the rollercoaster of my life. The stories and testimonies so familiar. I must say somewhat discouraging rather than helpful. My husband of 29 years has been sober for 11 years, but the nicotine addiction is like no other! I can relate, the constant lies, deception, betrayal, anger, sneaking around. Belittling me, putting me down making me feel like trash just to avoid any discussion about it. He is actually dip free but nicotine gum addicted 30 weeks now. I feel no security or resolve as he uses the gum. In fact, he still deceives, covers up, sneaks around to use it even though it was an agreed upon temporary solution. I am always fearful he will go back when the gum doesn’t fill his need, or worse if he stops the gum he will go back to the dip. It has cost so much distrust and insecurity in our marriage and with our children I don’t even know how to start healing, especially since he is still just getting his fix. He calls it a bad habit not an addiction, I feel like he is still in such denial. I’m tired of always feeling so emotionally lonely.

Julie
Julie
5 years ago
Reply to  Lorain

Lorraine (and all other spouses struggling with their spouses addiction).

I really do not know where to begin. This is my first time reading the entries and of course my life with my husband of 20 years is flashing before my eyes with each read. Validation is both healing and also devastating when it comes to the impact of chew addiction on a relationship that has always been so full of promise, yet so disappointing, frustrating and hurtful. I still love my husband and don’t want my marriage to end even though I made the mistake of giving him an ultimatum a week before we married to choose either the chew of myself and he chose the chew.

His chew takes 12,000 dollars a year out of our income and I do believe it will kill him – especially as how he has been doing it since he was 12 years old and has it in his mouth 24/7. The past two years he has been binge drinking as well and I have put my foot dow around that a as he gets abusive when he is drunk.

We have not slept in the same bed for 10 years – he sleeps with chew in his mouth all night, drools it out of his mouth onto pillows and the toilet is heavily stained with chew he has spout out and does not even bother to flush after. We have not been sexually intimate for a very long time – I cannot kiss him because of his breath and I am OCD around contracting some time of dreadful bacteria from his mouth.

And here is the kicker – we re both mental health professionals. I wish there was a support group I could attend face to face with others so I can get some of what festers inside of me out of me. I recently had a spinal surgery to remove a large cyst in the spinal canal – I believe it has manifested because I have been holding in all the pain with no outlet. If I mention it to him he withdraws for days/even weeks so Don’T talk; Don’t Feel and Don’t Trust is alive and well in my marriage and it is destroying it.

JAYP
JAYP
5 years ago
Reply to  Julie

$12,000 a year!?!? Is he plowing thru 30 cans a week?? When you do the math, at $5 a can…that’d almost be 30 cans a week!! Maybe you’re exaggerating a little?
Anyway, I hope he can get a hold of his addiction, it certainly is a tough nut to crack. I’m almost 4.5 years clean. Good luck!

Julie
Julie
5 years ago
Reply to  JAYP

HI There

Where we live a can costs between $36.00 and $38.00….so when you do the math – which I have direct from our joint account that identifies the purchase……this is what it is costing us……he has admitted this himself at a time when he was going to try to quit and owning up to the financial cost was part of the process.

J

Ghm
Ghm
6 years ago

When my husband tries to quit….I have to walk on egg shells. He is so angry. He scares me. I feel embarrassed that I am staying with him….I feel like a bad example for my children.

Ghm
Ghm
6 years ago
Reply to  Ghm

He quit smoking several years ago….became VERY addicted to nicorette gum …had cancer and quit for several years and started chewing a few years ago. I can’t kiss him because it changes his mouth…hard to explain, but it makes his lips really thin…and I notice a cavity. He won’t go to the dentist. He always drives separately now to family things….we don’t get along anymore. I have accidentally found spit in our potted plants and had glasses full of spilt spill on me. I am sooo grossed out…I don’t think I can do this anymore. He goes straight to the basement when he comes home from work….to chew, drink beer, and play videogames.
I thought he was tobacco free when I filled out the insurance info….and he keeps telling me he needs to make a plan to quit….but I feel like it will never happen.

Robin
Robin
6 years ago
Reply to  Ghm

I feel the same way. I am being a bad example.

L Wilson
L Wilson
6 years ago

Ive been chewing for only 6 months,and now the wife has found it twice,i’m on day day 3 of no chew I can do this.But I get no support,in fact my wife is talking about divorce,she says if I loved her I wouldn’t have started,I realize I screwed up and hurt her deeply and my wife not talk to me,without criticizing me, she will not answer any messages from me will not let me touch her,I can do nothing right in her eyes.I could really use some her support feeling very frustrated .

C
C
6 years ago
Reply to  L Wilson

I have been in the place your wife is now, more than once. In my situation, I was hurt so deeply, all I wanted was for my husband to hurt as much as I did. I knew deep down that was not right, you can’t imagine the things that go through a wife’s mind when someone she has put her heart and soul into has betrayed her. We have been married 28 years now, I love my husband and I know he loves me, but in my mind tobacco is always first. As we speak, my husband sneaks his tin into the shower. Tobacco has taken so much from our relationship, I wouldn’t wish this addiction on anyone.
One post said it well, I will NEVER know what its like to be a nicotine addict and you will NEVER know what it’s like to be the spouse of a nicotine addict.
It will take time to earn back the trust of your wife and rebuild your marriage. You are on the right track as long as it’s for the right reason and not just to suffice your wife. I hope you stick with your quit, this site seems like an amazing tool. I wish you all the best.

Andrea
Andrea
6 years ago

Has anyone ever been lied to about what is in the toilet bowl during the quitting stage? He claimed it was #2 in the toilet. I happened to see it when I went in the bathroom. I guess sometimes it doesn’t flush all the way??

Christina Throop
Christina Throop
6 years ago
Reply to  Andrea

My husband does the packet dip stuff…I didnt know he did at the time…anyway my daughter came home from daycare and went to the bathroom she didnt flush I walk into go the bathroom and start freaking out thinking my daughter ate something she shouldnt have. I called daycare I showed my husband and not once did he say oh its just a dip he kept it a secret…I freaked out for days over it until I went downstairs to put in a load of laundry and seen a soda bottle out of place in the laundry room I look at it and its got a bunch of the packet like thing I had seen in the toilet the other night…I confronted my husband and he explained to me what it was…very frustrated with the whole web of lies….But I need to learn how to be not so bitter about his horrible habbit.

C
C
6 years ago

I have visited this site occasionally for the last 7 years, for hope. If guys that have been addicted for decades can quit, then there is hope for my husband. I am so glad to see a spousal support comments, I have read them all.
I can relate to the roller coaster of emotions felt by all. I have been through all the addictive behaviors. My spouse has been addicted more on than off for 30+ years, I have never seen him with a dip in his mouth, closet dipper, at least at home.
I didn’t find out until after we were married and 3000 miles away in the military. He thought he could quit. He has quit 3 times, about 10 years once, as far as I know. He quit before we had kids and started again when our oldest was 8. He won’t talk about it, he gets defensive and shuts down.
I made a mistake two days ago, I asked him to quit. He won’t even be in the same room with me. After visiting this site, I was reminded how important it is to be their decision, otherwise they will resent you. I have never nagged him to quit. I don’t expect his quit will last long. I apologized, now its damage control. I hate the demon but I love my husband, he is a good man.
If you are in a relationship and are contemplating marriage with someone who struggles with this awful addiction, it’s likely you will in for an uphill battle.
I do enjoy reading all the success stories and pray that some day my husband will be one of them.

C
C
6 years ago
Reply to  C

Apparently he’s noir a closet dipper, he is just very descreet.

Jenn
Jenn
6 years ago

I just want to know what is normal….Today he actually fell out of the shower and spit out his dip on to my foot…He is using an old dip that he takes in and out in the morning…It’s his last…and now that he spit it on the floor it really is the last of it…But his balance is off…his behavior is crazy mean and erratic…I want the man I loved back…I witnessed him quit alcohol 2x and he is now almost 2 year sober…I never saw him act this way!! He seems dizzy and like he can’t even hold on to things?? Is this normal?? He literally dropped his phone 5 times yesterday in a half an hour..and then bawled on the way home??? I am at such a loss! I love him so much ….I was so relieved to see him acting like himself this morning until I realized it was because he put that recycled dip in his mouth…. Please tell me this is somewhat normal…I am calling the doctor now to see if we can get an appointment…

JP
JP
6 years ago
Reply to  Jenn

No, this doesn’t seem like something myself, or others experience when quitting. Best go get some advice from a medical professional, not the opinions of a message board.
And when we say “it’s not about you”, what we mean is it HAS to come from within the addict to want to quit, not YOU. If the addict doesn’t have it in themselves to really, I mean REALLY, want to quit…they won’t…no matter how bad YOU want them to. I hope that clears it up.
But I’d go get some medical advice on the other stuff, that isn’t normal for what I’ve experienced or have read from others.

Jenn
Jenn
6 years ago

I love my partner so much….but I can’t tell you how much it angers me when people say this is not about us…it’s only about the addict….How is it not about me when he spends $200 a month on it but I am the one paying the bills otherwise???

Mandy
Mandy
6 years ago
Reply to  Jenn

Amen sistah!

Alicia
Alicia
5 years ago
Reply to  Jenn

I think the exact same thing! How is it just about him if it’s effecting our finances?

Ann
Ann
5 years ago
Reply to  Jenn

Yes!!! My husband was unemployed for a bit. I worked THREE jobs to keep us afloat. I never knew about his habit. He started a few years after we were married and kept it a secret for nearly a decade until he forgot to put his can away one night. He goes through a can a week. I did the math, and the monthly cost of his addiction equaled a week’s worth of pay at my second job, and that’s not counting the money he spends on alcohol. Starting a habit like that is completely selfish. How can it not affect the spouse?

Back to top button
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x