What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

So you want to quit dipping and you would like to know what to expect when you do. We’re not going to pull any punches around here, it’s tough. That’s why we’re all here. This timeline has been put together over the years with the input of THOUSANDS of quitters. It has been shown to be remarkably accurate from the time you STOP USING NICOTINE.

Days 1 through 3 – Pure hell. You will walk in the fog. Nothing will seem real. Your brain is wondering where the hell its fix is and it is going to punish you until you come up with it. 72 hours, that’s all you need to get the nicotine out of your system. This is where you start to deal with the physical withdrawal associated with quitting dip. Drink lots of water. Read, post, read and post. Don’t take your anger out on your loved ones. We always tell everyone………Make this quit about YOU. If you quit for your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, mommy or daddy, you will resent them during this period. Quit for yourself and come in here to rant. Yell at us. Bitch at us. We can take it. We’ve been there.

Days 4 through 20 – Here comes the mind games. The nicotine is out of your system now. You will still have some physical things to deal with.

• Cravings
  • Irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Fatigue
  • Inability to Concentrate
  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Constipation, gas, stomach pain
  • Dry mouth
  • Sore tongue and/or gums

Yep, you have this to look forward to. Your brain is rewiring itself. It isn’t used to being in an oxygen rich environment. Your body is responding in kind. Everything is a mind game now. All the cravings you have are actually due to triggers. Triggers are events where you are in a situation you would normally dip in. Mowing the grass, playing poker online, playing golf, working on the car………you get the picture. Keep drinking water, use seeds, the fake stuff, whatever you need to keep the dip out of your mouth. Remember, oral fixation is part of our habit, something you will eventually need to break. For now though, use all the tools you have.

Days 20 – 50 – You’re winning. Life isn’t great, but you probably had a couple of nights where you actually got some sleep. You might notice you’re going to bed earlier than you normally do. Not staying up to get in that last dip. You may notice some sores in your mouth. You’re thinking, “great, I quit dipping and now I have cancer.” You almost certainly don’t. Your mouth is healing itself. Tiny ulcers you’ve had for a long time are healing. We recommend you visit your dentist around the 30 day mark. Don’t be a pansy, just do it. He or she will be very supportive and they can explain the sores much better than we can. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t go out drinking with the fellas or the girls. We also recommend that you don’t drink for at least the first 50 days. Drinking is a huge trigger event and it weakens your resolve.

Days 50 – 70 – Cruise control. Life is really good. You still think about it, but this is good stuff here. Some people may suffer anxiety attacks during or a little before this stage. Some doctors say we dipped to relieve anxiety anyway. Some people can push right through this, others need a little help. Talk to your doctor before you quit or immediately after you quit. They will know what to do. Some give Wellbutrin or Lexapro. Lots of people in the support community take or have taken these medicines and can help you with the affects. Don’t wait till you get to this stage of the game to talk to a doctor. You’ll cruise through this stage much easier if you know how to take care of the anxiety or at least know it’s coming.

Days 70 – 90 – Late term craves, the doldrums, the blahs, the blues. Some people end up feeling like they are right back at day 1. The fog, the haze, the craves. It can be a tough time. You need to let people in your group know this is happening. Time to circle the wagons to get through it. It usually only lasts a few days. Fight through this and make sure your order your HOF Knife or Coin. Here are a couple of articles about this time period which we refer to as “The Funk”

Days 90 – HOF – Houston, resume the countdown. Enjoy the hell out of these last 10 days. You will be celebrating with your group as you all enter the HOF. It is a great feeling and an accomplishment you should not take lightly. Do something special for yourself and your family. They put up with your sorry ass for the last 90 days and they deserve something too.

100+ Days – Stay vigilant. Use the tools you have, to continue beating back any cravings or urges. You will still experience dip dreams and longings, but you are fully qualified to beat them down. Continue to post roll with your group. Get into the newer groups and help somebody out. Pass it along. Live the dream.

Related Reading

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
4.2K Comments
Inline Feedbacks
1 day ago

Day 902

Today I heard a great expression that fits perfectly for all of us in one way or another. I thought I’d share it for those that are contemplating to quit dipping.

It says “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the next best time is TODAY”
Hope that helps. Ya’ll have a great weekend.

10-22-2018

JYD
JYD
1 day ago

I made it 72 days, fell off the wagon for 4 weeks, and am at 8 days into my second quit. I am back into feeling lethargy and a bit of brain fog.

During my 72-day quit, I had these same symptoms for about 3 weeks, but that was after 6 years of dipping.

Since I only dipped a little bit in those 4 weeks, how long should these ‘physical’ symptoms last?

Shane
Shane
2 days ago

Been 6 days of quitting today. I recommend Baccoff pouches. No tobacco or nicotine. Still get the cravings but the craving doesn’t last very long once I put a pouch in. I will never chew again! I want to grow old and see my kids grow up!

3 days ago

Today I complete 900 days being quit. It is interesting how life continues without tobacco as my companion. I dipped for over 25 years, anything you do for that amount of time is really a way of life. Every once in a while, I still get a craving to dip, but I learned to think it through. For example, I think something like this: The crave is here, it’s ok, it will pass in a bit. Sure enough, the moment passes and you continue living. My little group had a saying we hung to for dear life, it simply said, “This too shall pass”. So true. Everything changes in life . I am glad I changed and made the decision to quit.
10-22-2018
900 Days

JAYP
JAYP
3 days ago
Reply to  DDD

Congrats DDD, at this point you’re a veteran now. What you have accomplished is remarkable. You tried to quit, got bucked off and came back stronger the second go around. I applaud you for coming back after the first time and showing the courage to quit with such success.
Anyone who has tried to quit, failed and didn’t think they could get past their addiction should follow your journey, I’m proud of you brother 👍
-JP
07-15-14

3 days ago
Reply to  JAYP

Thanks JayP and thanks to our little group that started together, it got disbanded for a while, but then it got together and stronger than ever. As a matter of fact, I saw a post from this guy Franco the other day, he posted and mentioned your name.
I hope those brothers that started with us back in 2014 will someday post in here and let us know they are quit again.
Brother Shiva, I hope you make a full recovery soon, brother JeffJ let us know how your car restoration is going and JayP always a pleasure to hear from you big brother.
You all stay safe

Ozzy
Ozzy
9 days ago

Well 30 days so far today. Still sucks but lot less. But question. Y’all gums swell n get super tender? 25-26 days in I started getting random swelling in my gums. It moves around to dif spots and is tender. This normal?

Doug
Doug
5 days ago
Reply to  Ozzy

Its probably nothing. If your worried maybe go see a dentist. Mine did an oral cancer screening. Everything checked out fine. Your gums are probably healing.

Mac
Mac
5 days ago
Reply to  Ozzy

Ozzy, if nothing else a dentist will give you a peace of mind. My mouth wasn’t as nearly as bad as I thought, and the dentist gave me an extreme peace of mind. The vets on here can attest.

Shiva
Shiva
13 days ago

Thanks a ton for your kind wishes. I am much better now even though the energy level is still only 50-60% of my normal self.

The second best thing I did was to quit any form of nicotine and the best thing I ever did was to come to this site. Without this site and the wonderful group of people here, I might have faltered somewhere around the path.

What a beautiful journey it has been. There were days when I almost threw towel but the mantra “Not Today” and “this too shall pass” kept me going. I have come to appreciate the journey more than the end result. I also found the inner realization that there is no end here but it is always a journey.

BTW, a small note of encouragement for the newbies.. At this stage, I am even starting to forget the fact that I was once a hardcore smoker + chewer. It is no longer nagging at the back of my mind. It is all but forgotten. So, don’t keep contemplating and just take the plunge. Trust me, it is well worth it. Use this wonderful site and Chewie and other veterans (including me) are always here to give a hand.

DDD, Jeff and JayP – Hope you guys are doing well. Jeff so glad to see your note after a long time. Take care everyone.

762 Days
DOF: 2/28/2019

11 days ago
Reply to  Shiva

Hey Shiva, glad to hear you are feeling better. I just read a post by Franco, i remember he was another guy that started with us back in the day, if you have time, stop by and say hi. take care bud and stay quit.

892 days
10-22-2018

Doug
Doug
18 days ago

On day 22. Had a 4 can a day habit for the past 6 years. Been using tobacco, cigs, dip, cigars, on and off for almost 20 years. Today was the first day since I quit that I woke up with a positive sense of wellbeing. If that makes sense to anyone? I’m very thankful for that! Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve been sort of anxiously stressed ever since quiting. The fog was very real. I’ve done some research into nicotine addiction the past few weeks. What I’ve learned is that tobacco, nicotine, is the virus, it is NOT the cure to our emotions. Nicotine is what caised the imbalance in our brain which produced a false sense of wellbeing whenever we fed our addiction. I’ve also learned that it takes the brain about 3 months to recover from nicotine addiction, and that it does indeed fully recover. The funny thing is, my wife told me this past week that I’ve been much more pleasant to be around. Which I thought was absurd given that I’m in the midst of withdrawal. Apparently I was a real jerk in the mornings before I got that first dip in. Now that isn’t happening anymore. Again, nicotine is the virus! Not the cure! Good luck to everyone out there with their quit! God bless each of you as we recover from this addiction.

Reed
Reed
22 days ago

Just wanted to say this was a great resource when I first started my quit. Looked at it everyday for a good couple of months. I’m now at 396 days and cruising. I had been using a non nicotine and non tobacco product to help with the oral fixation but in the last few months I have had no desire for even that. Hope everyone is doing well and know that anyone can do it, but like most say, you have to want to quit and it has to be for you.

InSaNe-CrAzY
InSaNe-CrAzY
23 days ago

I’ve never posted here but I’ve used this forum as motivation and a guide stay the course. I have officially reached the 100 day mark after 10+ years of dipping. I still get cravings at times but they are short lived and I can easily refocus and move past them. This site has been a tremendous help and I wanted the people here to know that you are helping more people than you know and it’s appreciated. So thanks. IC

Ozzy
Ozzy
25 days ago

i had my last dip 14 days ago. Had my first dip at age 8 and I’m 46 now been 5 cans a week for past 15. I had found this site and really figured I could pull thru this on my own but the cravings n fog are relentless. All the triggers of just my everyday life. Driving truck spinning wrenches field work . I just can’t stop thinking bout it.

Cody
Cody
17 days ago
Reply to  Ozzy

I was the same way. Started at 12. I’m 32 now and quit 9 weeks ago. Was about 5-6 cans a week. Honestly the first month is the toughest then after that it’s just a matter of getting through the extreme urges. Don’t give up. We are all suffering the same cravings you are. We all love(d) dipping and it just takes time to wean off of it.

Everen
Everen
28 days ago

Just want to say I’m like 28 days. I have quit a few different times but never really made it past 3 months. 2 years ago I hit my 3 month mark and life events let me back too it. I feel like this is the hardest quit I have gone though so far. And with Gods help it will be my last. Anyhow I am almost at 30 days and I feel like I’m at day one. I feel like I just spit a chew out and I’m ready for my next. The intensity is high and I hope it let’s me go soon. Been here on this website before and the comments really helped me last time. Nice to know I’m not the only one fighting for freedom.

Cody
Cody
1 month ago

I’ve off for 44 days now and I honestly don’t know how anybody goes through life without chewing lol

letago
letago

im on the 150 mark and im still getting cravings.once in a while though
late today i got a sever brain fog and i was dizzy and struggle to breath
any1 been through this…? im so sick n tired of this ups and downs

Reply to  letago

Hey Letago, Your symptoms are similar to mine. Everyone is different, but I heard it from other bros in here, that on the 200th days, you get one huge craving, if you can survive it, it leaves you alone for a long time, smooth sailing, which means it changes strategy, because you become bored and start getting too comfortable. Be careful and don’t worry those starting symptoms go away, you are very close, hang in there.

Day 866
10-22-2018

JAYP
JAYP
Reply to  letago

Absolutely normal. What you’ll notice, the further this habit gets in the rearview mirror, the less of these episodes.
I’m a big advocate of the Nicotine Free dip alternatives available today. They were a big help in my first 200 days.
Stay with it, they’ll become less and less. ✌️
-JP
07-15-14

Cody
Cody
Reply to  letago

I have been off for 44 days and I still get cravings. It’s hard not to take one if I get worked up from arguing with wife. It’s occasional but that’s really the only thing right now that I am struggling with. I make sure I let her know that it’s tough being with her with out chewing tobacco lol. All in good nature though.

Rudi
Rudi
1 month ago

Today is day six for me, I genuinely don’t know how I got this dependent on something. I have been a casual nicotine user for a long time, I used Grizzly wintergreen pouches for a long time on weekends when drinking and then wouldn’t have the urge during the week. Then I started doing it on Mondays and Fridays in addition to weekends, then it bled to Tuesday/Thursdays and then Wednesday. Then I started doing it at work to get through my day. Before I knew it was going through a couple tins a week and I just felt shitty. Well so far I still feel shitty but I enjoyed this roadmap.

Cody
Cody
Reply to  Rudi

Don’t let it sinks it’s claws into you. I did it for 20 years. I’m 33 now. The longer you do it the more it becomes a part of you. And plays tricks on your mind making you think it is what makes everything okay.

Cody
Cody
Reply to  Cody

I’ve been off for 44 days btw.

Shiva
Shiva

Hello everyone,

It’s been quite a while since I posted. I just completed 2 years of freedom (28th Feb). Bummer, I couldn’t post it yesterday as I was down with a nasty bout of flu (still recovering)..

A big thanks to all my friends here who were patient enough to listen to my rants and frustrations. DDD, Jeff and JayP, hope all of you guys are doing good.
Thanks to Chewie for maintaining this wonderful site and constant support to the newcomers

Shiva
733 days

JAYP
JAYP
Reply to  Shiva

Congrats Shiva!!
I cannot believe how quickly 2 years have gone by. Sorry to hear you’ve been battling a bug, hope you get well soon.
Congratulations again Shiva and don’t worry about that bug, This Too, Shall Pass 😉
-JP
07-15-14

Franco
Franco
12 days ago
Reply to  JAYP

Wow. JayP and Chewie still kicking the CAN. I’m approaching 6 years free after 25 years of Kodiac. You 2 R amazing. Anyone who is quitting please know it CAN be done. It will bust your balls but it’s possible. I’m living proof. Whatever u do, do not chew today.
peace Franco.

JAYP
JAYP
3 days ago
Reply to  Franco

Hey Franco, yes sir, approaching 7 years free myself. Very nice to see your name on the board again, I absolutely remember your quit. I’m happy to see you’re still free from the junk!
Chewie is light years ahead of us, we should just name him “The Godfather of Quit” 😂
Take care, great reading your post!
✌️
-JP
07-15-14

Reply to  Shiva

Hey Shiva, congratulations on 2 years. It’s crazy huh? 2 years ago we came back to this site and this time we managed to stay off the nicotine. JayP and JeffJ kept the course when we left and welcomed us back when we returned. Hope you feel better soon, you all take care and be safe.
862 Days
10-22-2018

Shiva
Shiva
22 days ago
Reply to  DDD

Thanks a lot everyone. Unfortunately, what I thought was flu turned out to be COVID. :(. I had some mild inflammation in lungs but otherwise the biggest symptoms are loss of smell, weakness and cramps. It’s been 3+ weeks and I am feeling extremely tired, weak and cramps all over the body. It is such a nasty disease.
Take care everyone and stay safe. This pandemic is real and it is hurting.

753 days

JAYP
JAYP
21 days ago
Reply to  Shiva

Hey Shiva,

Sorry to hear this. As Chewie said, get lots of rest. I had it myself back in November. It was a tough 6-10 days for me. But I made it through and you will too. Stay strong, give us an update👍
“This Too Shall Pass” 🙏
-JP

21 days ago
Reply to  Shiva

Hi Shiva, sorry to hear you’ve caught the nasty virus, i think it’s just a matter of time before we all get it. I caught it around december, i had mild symptoms, but a pain in the ass to shake it off. The only way i knew i had it was because i couldn’t smell anything. Nasty bug it is I agree.
Hang in there partner, you’ve got this!

882 Days

Jeffj
Jeffj
21 days ago
Reply to  Shiva

Shiva

it’s been awhile since I have posted. Hang in there man. I hope you can kick covid the way you kicked the nicotine

get well man. You will win again

jeffj
8-14-14

1 month ago

One of the elder brothers just wrote a piece that responds to a question i had posted a while back while I was still going through the first 100 days. My question was, will the dip dreams and cravings go away after years of being quit?
I’ve been quit for 2 years and 4 months. Every once in a while I still get those craves and dip dreams, I figured I needed more years under my belt for them to vanish.
Sadly, this brother who has 8 years away from dip just wrote that he still has symptoms, far and few of course, but still has them.
I guess I should start thinking that the symptoms may never go away, but are useful by keeping us in check, testing us every once in a while and it is up to us to make that decision to Dip or not to Dip.

Day 859
Oct-22-2018

Bird
Bird
1 month ago

Day 74. Two days away from my quit record. Longest I’ve gone without a dip in 6 years, soon to be longest in about a decade. Symptoms come and go, but I think most are from anxiety. I’m hoping once I hit day 77 I’ll be over another psychological hump and start feeling even better. Good luck to everyone else in their quit. Screw snuff.

Bird
Bird
Reply to  Chewie

I’m definitely in the funk right now lol. I’m setting a new record for being dip-free every day though! If I can just reign in my GERD I’ll be doing good.

1 36 37 38
Flaviar - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Back to top button
4.2K
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x