What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

So you want to quit dipping and you would like to know what to expect when you do. We’re not going to pull any punches around here, it’s tough. That’s why we’re all here. This timeline has been put together over the years with the input of THOUSANDS of quitters. It has been shown to be remarkably accurate from the time you STOP USING NICOTINE.

Days 1 through 3 – Pure hell. You will walk in the fog. Nothing will seem real. Your brain is wondering where the hell its fix is and it is going to punish you until you come up with it. 72 hours, that’s all you need to get the nicotine out of your system. This is where you start to deal with the physical withdrawal associated with quitting dip. Drink lots of water. Read, post, read and post. Don’t take your anger out on your loved ones. We always tell everyone………Make this quit about YOU. If you quit for your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, mommy or daddy, you will resent them during this period. Quit for yourself and come in here to rant. Yell at us. Bitch at us. We can take it. We’ve been there.

Days 4 through 20 – Here comes the mind games. The nicotine is out of your system now. You will still have some physical things to deal with.

• Cravings
  • Irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Fatigue
  • Inability to Concentrate
  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Constipation, gas, stomach pain
  • Dry mouth
  • Sore tongue and/or gums

Yep, you have this to look forward to. Your brain is rewiring itself. It isn’t used to being in an oxygen rich environment. Your body is responding in kind. Everything is a mind game now. All the cravings you have are actually due to triggers. Triggers are events where you are in a situation you would normally dip in. Mowing the grass, playing poker online, playing golf, working on the car………you get the picture. Keep drinking water, use seeds, the fake stuff, whatever you need to keep the dip out of your mouth. Remember, oral fixation is part of our habit, something you will eventually need to break. For now though, use all the tools you have.

Days 20 – 50 – You’re winning. Life isn’t great, but you probably had a couple of nights where you actually got some sleep. You might notice you’re going to bed earlier than you normally do. Not staying up to get in that last dip. You may notice some sores in your mouth. You’re thinking, “great, I quit dipping and now I have cancer.” You almost certainly don’t. Your mouth is healing itself. Tiny ulcers you’ve had for a long time are healing. We recommend you visit your dentist around the 30 day mark. Don’t be a pansy, just do it. He or she will be very supportive and they can explain the sores much better than we can. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t go out drinking with the fellas or the girls. We also recommend that you don’t drink for at least the first 50 days. Drinking is a huge trigger event and it weakens your resolve.

Days 50 – 70 – Cruise control. Life is really good. You still think about it, but this is good stuff here. Some people may suffer anxiety attacks during or a little before this stage. Some doctors say we dipped to relieve anxiety anyway. Some people can push right through this, others need a little help. Talk to your doctor before you quit or immediately after you quit. They will know what to do. Some give Wellbutrin or Lexapro. Lots of people in the support community take or have taken these medicines and can help you with the affects. Don’t wait till you get to this stage of the game to talk to a doctor. You’ll cruise through this stage much easier if you know how to take care of the anxiety or at least know it’s coming.

Days 70 – 90 – Late term craves, the doldrums, the blahs, the blues. Some people end up feeling like they are right back at day 1. The fog, the haze, the craves. It can be a tough time. You need to let people in your group know this is happening. Time to circle the wagons to get through it. It usually only lasts a few days. Fight through this and make sure your order your HOF Knife or Coin. Here are a couple of articles about this time period which we refer to as “The Funk”

Days 90 – HOF – Houston, resume the countdown. Enjoy the hell out of these last 10 days. You will be celebrating with your group as you all enter the HOF. It is a great feeling and an accomplishment you should not take lightly. Do something special for yourself and your family. They put up with your sorry ass for the last 90 days and they deserve something too.

100+ Days – Stay vigilant. Use the tools you have, to continue beating back any cravings or urges. You will still experience dip dreams and longings, but you are fully qualified to beat them down. Continue to post roll with your group. Get into the newer groups and help somebody out. Pass it along. Live the dream.

Related Reading

4 8 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
4.5K Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Big Red
Big Red
5 days ago

Today marks day 3 for me. Only slept for 3 hours. I don’t feel as bad as I did on day 1 but man does this suck! It’s times like these where you finally realize just how annoying and gay some people can be

Ema
Ema
3 days ago
Reply to  Big Red

it’s the nicotine rage, it’s not that the world is suddenly more annoying. It will pass. I’m at day 23 now and it’s already much much better, but some days I might still get cranky.
In a day or 2 it will get much better for you. Keep it up!

13 days ago

It’s 180 days over today! Been a long journey without tobacco..Now too once a while, mind is requesting for a one time dip!! Avoiding…How do you guys felt after 6 months of freedom?

Tim
Tim
1 month ago

Hey guys I am on day 5 and the cravings are hitting me hard but it’s not hard to manage those. what I am worried about and what is getting me is that I have an insanely big deadline coming due at work that not only affects my career but also REALLY impacts my coworker’s career. I can deal with the personal suffering of quitting but I am in the fog. I can’t focus, I can’t think, I can barely even bring myself to go into the office because of the fog. I want to quit and stay quit but I am super worried about how the withdrawal if impact my ability to perform and that my lack of focus and quality work could devastate my colleague’s career. I don’t want to use this deadline as an excuse to keep cramming the shit in my lip but part of me also thinks that I should put off my quit until after this project is done so that my addiction doesn’t negatively impact other people’s careers. But I worry that I will get trapped in a cycle of well this is just a bad time to quit let’s wait till after the next big milestone and then I just never quit because I always have a reason not to go through withdrawal.

1 month ago
Reply to  Tim

No Tim, These are just excuses, believe me. I have just crossed 155 days of my quit and i have undergone the same phase like how you are in right now. Its just an mind game and you must have strength to overcome this. Whenever dipping thoughts comes in try to jump to another thought . Tough but certainly possible. NEVER GIVE UP MY FRIEND. You are in right track

1 month ago

153 days since I quit. Even now once a while getting deep craving. But sustaining so far. Will hit 200 days and come back to Forum.

tony
tony
1 month ago

Hey fellas! I looked on the calendar today and it’s been 33 months since I quit dipping. Dont miss it dont even think about it.. I dipped a can and half a dat for two decades. my trick was knowing every day was a success, progress towards a better life.. i work out 4 days a week, i eat better, I’m reading more.. Crazy how quitting a habit forces you to look at what else can you do to distract your mind from a craving.. started mediating.. its worth it and just know that it gets harder and harder and harder and then easier easier and then you think about it and go FREAKING gross with the spit bottles, the breath, ugh throw up! the heart burn, fear of a stroke, or cancer.. or looking like crap after surgery.. for me, cinnamon gum and lemon drops were king.. get the good lemon drops, the old fashioned ones

Craig
Craig
1 month ago

2 days in after 19 years, have quit on and off before. This time I determined to quit for good! Filling down time and when I am bored has already been struggle!

Craig
Craig
16 days ago
Reply to  Craig

Made it a month! Still using Smokey Mountain pouches but nicotine free!!!

Sean
Sean
1 month ago

I’m quitting for the 2nd time. This one is a little rougher than the first time. I’m 6 hours in and I have the shaky hands. I’m going to do it. I hate relying on this stuff. I need to quit. I’m going to be the crazy one posting in here for the next 60 hours, so I apologize in advance.

Jay
Jay
1 month ago

I’ve been through the quitting gamut lately. Alcohol and now this. I am tired of being hooked on things that harm me. It’s over.

1 month ago

One year and two months quit. The only thing I deal with now are still some cravings. I used tobacco for over 20 years. I smoked cigs, cigars, dipped and even used snus. I really liked using tobacco, my favorite was dip. Skoal wintergreen. All that being said, I quit because enough was enough and it was starting to affect my health and I could feel it. I don’t go back for 2 reasons. The first is I will never go through the quit process again, never! It sucked! Thus, if I go back I’m going to use tobacco until I’m dead, it will kill me. And I’m not willing to accept that. The second reason to stay quit is freedom from the can. Getting off the nicotine treadmill, where you have to use to stay mentally/emotionally stable, it’s awesome to be free of that. I no longer need nicotine. Quiting is worth it. You are worth it. You can do this. Stay quit. Kill the can!

Chris
Chris
2 months ago

Im 28 hours in after vaping/chewing for 9 years, really want this one to work, just sucks not doing something you enjoy even if its unhealthy.

Dan
Dan
2 months ago
Reply to  Chris

Hi Chris. Congratulations on your first step to being NIC free! Day 25 for me. I highly recommend you join the Discord group/app. It’s great motivation and support from other quitters. I’ve tried countless failed attempts to quit until I found and joined KTC on Discord.

DDD
DDD
2 months ago

Hello quitters, just popping in to share a little insight from the economic perspective. After 3.5 years of being quit, i calculated my savings to be $10,000+.
For 30 years I freely exchanged my money with those tobacco companies for their nasty product, but it is over. I thank God I did not get sick and I am moving on. Keep up the good work troops, this battle you have to win.

Oct-22-2018

Dustin
Dustin
2 months ago

Today is 1 year quit after 16 years of can+ a day habit. Quitting absolutely sucked. One of the worst experiences I’ve been thru those first few weeks. I’m sure glad I did it tho and encourage anyone who’s thinking about it to throw your can away and start your process today.

DDD
DDD
2 months ago
Reply to  Dustin

Congratulations on your first year, keep going, get to 1000 days.

TT is DONE!~
TT is DONE!~
2 months ago

Day 4 in the books. After 30 years, just didn’t think it was possible. Life insurance & LTC med exam next week so no way I am screwing this up. Cold Turkey and pure perseverance! Thanks to ALL who have posted, had no idea how helpful it would be.

Franco
Franco
2 months ago

7 years free today. After 25 years hooked… it seems unbelievable. Thank you to anyone who has ever posted. Special thanks to Chewie, JayP, DDD and all the others… seriously, never would have been able to quit with out all of you. For anyone just starting your quit, don’t ever go back to day one. You CAN do it. Peace.

DDD
DDD
2 months ago
Reply to  Franco

Congratulations bud, I can’t believe it’s been that long. jayP and Jeffj also completed their 7 years, I am behind you guys with almost 4 years. We all get too busy to post here these days, but it’s good to hear when a pro pops in and encourages the new crew. Kill the Can!!!

Jeff j
Jeff j
1 month ago
Reply to  DDD

DDD
august 2014 seemed so long ago since my quit… I have not even thought about Copenhagen at all. You did it too man, a double fight. Good job. Jayp I am sure is doing well.

anyways. Been awhile since I have been on here with work, kid graduation.. I will brag. She got her masters from Perdue university. Glad I quit so many years ago.. to all you rookies. Keep up the fight. Don’t give up… don’t let the nic bitch slow you down

DDD
DDD
1 month ago
Reply to  Jeff j

Jeff so glad to hear from you. Awesome to hear about your daughter, sure is a great accomplishment. I heard briefly from JayP, but Shiva has been missing in action for a while, hope he is doing well. Your car turned out pretty nice. I hope you are enjoying it. Take care bud.

2 months ago

Yey!!!! 100 days over yesterday! Am really happy to announce that KTC really helped me a lot to get this shitty habit end. A lot of testimonials, experiences, advice and solutions are ready to read when a craving sets. I dont want to lie if i say am completely get this thing out of mind, Many a times feel like going back to dipping world. But its all mind game, SO far, am happy to come out of it for 100 days . Many thanks to Chewie. Cheers.

Famous
Famous
3 months ago

I am on day 13 today and I am hating it. First three days were certainly the worst. I laid in bed for three straight so I wouldn’t over-react or lash out at anyone. For the past 10 days, I wake up in the morning and my mouth demands dip – first thing I think of when I wake up and last thing I think of before bed. I have been eating a ton of apples and drinking lots of water. I am going “cold turkey” as I’ve tried other ways before, but for me, enough is enough and I will continue to test my willpower. Stay strong everyone and thanks for this message board!

Patrick
Patrick
3 months ago

I have been clean for 7 days. Done this before for life insurance but doing it for real this time. First time missed a few night sleep that’s it. This time no sleep, headaches, dullness, wornout. I feel so bad I don’t even want a dip. But ready for this to go away. I was dipping all day long 7 days ago.

Tee
Tee

Day 5 here. I need encouragement…please help

DDD
DDD
Reply to  Tee

Hey Tee, hope you made it to the second week.

Rich
Rich
Reply to  Tee

Hang in there, Tee….first week is the toughest but after that, it gets better every day. You got this, my friend, and keep your eye on the prize. I’ve been tobacco free for 4+ years and can’t be happier. Before you know it, you will be too!

3 months ago

90 days over today! Am wondering how could i do it initially. That thought of ” You can just have one” comes all over mind once a while, especially in evenings.. Is it normal? How did successful quitters got over that?

3 months ago

So I’m a year in. I’m dealing with temptations, not cravings, but those thoughts that say “you can just have one”. I’ve been using the Black Buffalo Zero (nic free) and it’s great. But I’ve been using about half a can a day. Especially as I’ve been confronted with these temptations. They aren’t cravings so much but a temptation to just have that one dip. Anyone else experienced this? And can I use Black Buffalo Zero long term? Because it seems like I sort of need it to avoid the can of real stuff at this point. The ritual of dipping hasn’t gone away. Even though the chemical dependency on nicotine has. That make sense?

TvEduk8r
TvEduk8r
Reply to  Doug

I’m in exactly the same place. Feb 17,2021 was my last dip. I would love to have just a taste, but since it is my third run at quitting, I know it’s 1 then another and another and before I know it I’m back to a full habit. Let’s agree to hang strong! We’ve beaten the toughest part and it’s down hill from here. We can do this!!! Btw. I’m hooked on cloves now🤤.

Reply to  TvEduk8r

Thanks TvEduk8r. Glad to be quit with you today. Yes, let’s keep going indeed.

Reply to  TvEduk8r

Do cloves have nicotine?

Hoof
Hoof
Reply to  Doug

Doug, I think I know exactly what you mean. I dipped continuously for 33 years (since 8th grade), then quit and took up the “fake chew.” It made my quit fairly tolerable. After a year or so of the fake chew, I began to realize the negative health effects it was having on me, and that basically I was still “addicted” to “chewing.” What I mean is, I didn’t crave nicotine itself any longer, so it seemed, but I certainly could NOT go even a few hours without a pinch of the fake stuff. I had addressed the chemical fairly well it seemed, but I had not even started dealing with the very real (at least for me) oral fixation part of it. What happened next astonished me (still does).

I swore off the fake chew and basically entered into an entirely new period of quitting — I craved the fake stuff seemingly just like I used to crave the real stuff. I wished I had not used the fake stuff and had gone cold turkey in the first place because now it felt like I had to go through 2 quits… and at the time it seemed even harder than the first. I eventually couldn’t hack it and got right back into dipping several cans of Grizzly every week. That was about 4 years ago. If I had to do it all over again, I would have quit and never used any type of oral fixation device. Rip the band-aid off 1 time, so to speak.

Which is exactly where I am today. I quit cold turkey the morning of 29 Dec 2021, so I’m at 89 days. I chew half pieces of trident bubble gum at work but that’s it. I’m still craving nicotine but it is manageable and I just need to keep reminding myself of the “why.”

So, heads up… if and when you stop using the fake chew, if you’re like me, you might have some fairly intense withdrawals/anxiety to deal with. Prepare ahead of time for it, take it very seriously, so it doesn’t blind side you like it did me.

2 months ago
Reply to  Hoof

I didn’t start using the fake until well into my quit, probably the 6 month mark. I use the fake to keep from “relapsing” (getting a can of the real stuff). I’m around 14 months now. And I don’t have a chemical dependency on nicotine anymore. But I still get “cravings” or a strong desire to dip. That is why I still use the fake dip. I’m not sure I could stay off the real stuff long term without the fake dip. I fell in love with Black Buffalo Zero. Not sure how long I will use it. But given that it doesn’t have nicotine, I can’t imagine withdrawing from like the real stuff. They have nicotine laced verions, is that what you were using?

3 months ago

83 days over!! Yes, “The Funk” is on now. Cravings started. Holding to touch HOF in 17 days!!!!!…

4 months ago

1 year (365) today. Texas Independence Day. Freedom from the can is awesome! Everyone out there who is new or recently quit. It does get better. Took me about 9 months for most of the quit symptoms to go away. Fog, cravings and anxiety lingered. But now at 1 year I basically feel back to normal, only I’m living a new normal free of nicotine. Something which I haven’t experienced since I was a teenager, 20 plus years ago. Keep going. You got this. It’s well worth whatever pain your going through.

4 months ago
Reply to  Doug

Congrats Doug!! You are inspiring to me . Am completing 70 days today. As i could see from your message, it may take some more time for me to get away from most of cravings, I guess. But am confident to celebrate like you on Dec 22, 2022..

4 months ago

2 months over as of today. Craving is lot reduced but not gone. Also, since last 3 days free from Alcohol too. Taken strong measure to keep both away from Nicotine and alcohol. Alcohol certainly triggers dip craving!!

Caitlkn
Caitlkn
4 months ago

My husband quit last night cold turkey out of nowhere! Awesome news but also we are low on alternatives (only have a few old coffee pouches). Any advice on how I can support him in these first few days?

Clist168
Clist168
4 months ago
Reply to  Caitlkn

Look into outlaw dips fake dip. Tobacco and nicotine free. Closest stuff to the real thing out there.

4 months ago

In 6 days I will be one year free of nicotine. All I can say is “thank you” to all of you who have helped
me get here. It has been rough at moments, but you all have helped
me make it past my weak times. I was addicted for 47 years and I’ve made
it out. If you are considering quitting, listen to the guys on this site. I’m going to make it because of them! Thanks! I rely on you all, and I’m grateful for all your help. It is possible to break the habit and stay off nicotine. Don’t give up! You can do it. I’m proof.

Frank
Frank
Reply to  Doug

I have been trying to quit for a few years now and fail each time. Always an excuse, stressful life or no stress feeling good. Been carrying around a can of fake stuff but rarely think to use it. Went to this site today looking for inspiration. Your story is great, thanks for sharing. I turned to dip to quit smoking 35 years ago and wish i never did that. Chew is extremely addicting and messes with my life. Quit drinking 38 years ago, that was a piece of cake compared to this. I will keep reading this site for ideas and inspirations.

JAYP
JAYP
Reply to  Frank

Hey Frank,
I won’t make this a long, drawn out response, but seeing your comment, reminded me a little of myself, 7, soon to be 8 years ago, when I quit.
Hardest thing I did was quit the almost 30 year habit. I think I first started dipping with Grandpa when I was only 10 years old! I’m sure he didn’t think it was highly addictive, but it is. All I can tell you is it will ultimately come down to you and only you when you quit. You will know when it’s time. You will be the one who keeps you honest. You, will do it for you and no one else.
Fake dip is a wonderful tool, I still use it on occasion (not very often) even today. If I feel like having a dip, it’s a fake, non-nicotine one. I do not tell myself no with those. What I say no to, is anything that contains nicotine. This July will be 8 years clean from that shit. It was honestly the best choice I ever made and cannot believe that didn’t do it earlier.
Good luck, I hope you use this site, it was a God send for my quit!
JP
07-15-14

4 months ago

Celebrating 50 days of freedom today!! Many thanks to KTC and especially Chewie!

Determined to take it to 100 days!! Cheers

4 months ago
Reply to  Ram

You can do this. I’m nearly 365 days and there are moments of weakness, but we can all tell you, it’s worth the struggle to be free of nicotine. You can do this!

4 months ago
Reply to  Doug

Thanks Doug. Today 57 days over. Now getting craving a bit more. Yesterday had Dip dream too. Not easy as you said. But keeping my determination on.

1 38 39 40
Flaviar - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Back to top button
4.5K
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x